Is enough running 3 days per week?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
ivan178

Is enough running 3 days per week?

Post by ivan178 »

Hello, I am not improving a lot on my 1km PFT, I'm doing 600m sprints on tuesday, 5km run on thursday, and 60m LSS on saturdays, but I'm improving really slow, I thought about adding a 4th day (should be LSS I guess? another 60min run?)

But I don't know if it's okay with 3 days or I should add a 4th one.

spemma

Re: Is enough running 3 days per week?

Post by spemma »

are you too tired to finish at that fast of a pace, or too slow? or both?

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

ivan178 wrote:Hello, I am not improving a lot on my 1km PFT, I'm doing 600m sprints on tuesday, 5km run on thursday, and 60m LSS on saturdays, but I'm improving really slow, I thought about adding a 4th day (should be LSS I guess? another 60min run?)

But I don't know if it's okay with 3 days or I should add a 4th one.
Well it really depends on the individual, there's no one-size-fits-all answer. For some 3 times a week is more than enough, whereas others might have to get some more mileage in.

You might need to add more sessions or you might be underestimating how long it actually takes to see improvements. You're "improving really slowly" but it's hard to measure how fast you should be improving.

The protocols provide minimums, so the simple solution would be to add another 1-2 runs per week. It's not uncommon to run 4-6 days a week for someone wanting to prioritize running (key word prioritize).

It's been discussed here before, but I'd recommend keeping the 80/20 ratio going regardless of how many runs you do every week. Again, this is for someone wanting to prioritize running for a period of time, it's not universal advice.

ivan178

Post by ivan178 »

TangoZero wrote: It's been discussed here before, but I'd recommend keeping the 80/20 ratio going regardless of how many runs you do every week. Again, this is for someone wanting to prioritize running for a period of time, it's not universal advice.
Never read about the 80/20 ratio before, you mean going on my 80% max hr?

ivan178

Post by ivan178 »

spemma wrote:are you too tired to finish at that fast of a pace, or too slow? or both?
both, but for example 200m I can do it on 39-40, but i'm like at my 100%, so it's impossible for me to maintain that another 800m

spemma

Post by spemma »

TangoZero wrote: The protocols provide minimums, so the simple solution would be to add another 1-2 runs per week. It's not uncommon to run 4-6 days a week for someone wanting to prioritize running (key word prioritize).
if you're doing Fighter continuation protocol for the MS work, would running 6 days/week mean 2-a-days on your MS days? generally speaking, how would you best structure that?
ivan178 wrote:
TangoZero wrote: It's been discussed here before, but I'd recommend keeping the 80/20 ratio going regardless of how many runs you do every week. Again, this is for someone wanting to prioritize running for a period of time, it's not universal advice.
i believe he means 80% E type running and 20% HIC type running. the ratio can be determined via time or total miles, but it will probably work out the same.

sounds like more of an aerobic endurance problem than speed. so like tango said, add in more E days. i would also listen to most anyone's advice but mine, but i don't think i'm out of pattern with the suggestion.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

ivan178 wrote:
80/20 means 80% or most of your conditioning sessions should be long easy runs (LSS) and 20% should be high intensity, sprints, track work, hill sprints.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

spemma wrote:
TangoZero wrote: The protocols provide minimums, so the simple solution would be to add another 1-2 runs per week. It's not uncommon to run 4-6 days a week for someone wanting to prioritize running (key word prioritize).
if you're doing Fighter continuation protocol for the MS work, would running 6 days/week mean 2-a-days on your MS days? generally speaking, how would you best structure that?
Whatever fits your schedule. I don't know anything about your schedule, work, commitments. If I was doing it I'd run 6 days a week with 2 of my runs done immediately after my Fighter sessions. Those two might be treadmill runs or outdoors depending on where I'm training.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

A little late to the party here, but initially just let me say that, yes, running 3 days/week can be enough. I trained for my last half-marathon on 3 days/wk running and 2 days/wk of strength training, and I set a PR in the half. I was using this type of training plan: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-traini ... ining-plan. And I didn't even follow it to the letter because you're supposed to do aerobic cross-training workouts 2x during the week aside from running (cycling, swimming, etc.). I didn't do that. I strength-trained 2x/wk and I occasionally played racquetball. Other than that, I just ran. The point is that, yes, 3 days/wk can be enough.

That being said, most half and even full marathon plans for beginners have you running 4 (maybe 5) days/wk. So the way that I see it, you could go one of two ways. 1) If you have seen improvement on 3 days/wk running, keep doing it. Your improvement may not be as fast as you want, but if you are seeing improvement, don't fix what isn't broken. 2) The other option is to add some distance weekly but slowly. I would not go from 3 days/wk straight to 6 days/wk. In fact, in your situation, I wouldn't exceed 4 days/wk for a long time while your body adjusts to the volume. I find that a lot of distance work beats me up more than heavy lifting, and this is coming from a guy who used to do a lot of distance work (running 4-5 days/week before that last half-marathon). So if you feel the need to increase, do so slowly, but if what you're doing now is giving you results, stick with it until you aren't getting results anymore and then change.

ivan178

Post by ivan178 »

mikhou wrote:A little late to the party here, but initially just let me say that, yes, running 3 days/week can be enough..
TangoZero wrote: It's been discussed here before....
Thanks for the reply! , I'm doing Black Protocol At the moment, 3 days doing weightlifting + 3 days running (1 600m sprints, 1 5km fast run and 1 60min LSS)

Here's my journey, if you want to check it http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=5&t=667

Then, I'm going to add another 60m LSS, maybe on... Mondays? just after lifting.

Or maybe I could add some boxing/mma sessions, which I haven't done in months, maybe that could help me with the 1km run.