"Pre-Base Building" - Get Conditioned for the Real BB

grouchyjarhead

"Pre-Base Building" - Get Conditioned for the Real BB

Post by grouchyjarhead »

(Reposted from the Reddit forum)

I just recently set this up for a friend of mine who is out of shape and looking to get back into fitness, but the actual Base Building approach was too much for him being as he was so deconditioned. Thanks to TB 3rd Edition, I was inspired by SE Alpha and designed this for him. It's a way for a complete beginner who may not be in enough shape to do the first few weeks of BB to build up the fitness to achieve that in an easy but effective way.

SE = Strength Endurance Cluster. Sets x reps. Rest 90 or 60 sec in between sets. Rest 2-3 minutes in between exercises. If you have to stop to rest and catch your breath, do so but do all of the repetitions. Using an empty barbell, do the following exercises (the sit-ups are done using just bodyweight): (1) Overhead Press (2) Bent Over Rows (3) Back Squats (4) Romanian Deadlifts (5) Sit-Ups.

E = Endurance Training. A combination of walking and running to start. Start off by jogging for 60 sec and walking for 90 sec. On W1, repeat 6 times for a total of 15 minutes. On W2, repeat 8 times. On W3, repeat 10 times. On W4, repeat a total of 12 times for 30 minutes. On W5, try jogging for 90 sec and walking for 60 sec - repeat a total of 12 times. On W6, try jogging for 2 minutes and walking for 1 minute - repeat a total of 10 times. On the sixth day, just run and walk for as long as you can. Do at LEAST the minimum, but go longer if you can.

SE complex can vary obviously, but I think the E approach is solid. He has no access to kettlebells so rather than go just plain BW we went with barbell work for SE. This way too he'll get some form work in so I can get him started on proper lifting once he's ready.
Give it a shot and let me know if it works out for you.

ABOUT GROUCHYJARHEAD:
Grouchy served in the U.S. military for 10 years in two different branches (U.S. Marine Corps and U.S. Army) and deployed twice overseas in support of U.S. operations in the Middle East. He is currently a supervisor in a police department for a city of over 300,000. Grouchy played several sports growing up and began training in the martial arts when he first joined the Marine Corps. He competed in strength sports (strongman and powerlifting) for several years and earned a nikyu (brown belt) in Kyokushinkai Karate before recurring injuries forced him to cease full contact training. Grouchy's current favorite pursuits are kettlebell sport and GoRuck events.

keenymeeny

Re: "Pre-Base Building" - Get Conditioned for the Real BB

Post by keenymeeny »

Looks solid, I'll be borrowing this for my wife. I see you're into Go-Ruck, it'd be awesome to see some sort of TB based Go-Ruck prep plan at some point!

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Bravo Zulu, matey. That's a great beginners prep program.

I like that a lot...... Good man.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Just about right! I'll be sending it to my ex-marine friend who's got out of shape completely.
Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks for all the kind comments.
keenymeeny wrote:Looks solid, I'll be borrowing this for my wife. I see you're into Go-Ruck, it'd be awesome to see some sort of TB based Go-Ruck prep plan at some point!
I've done a few approaches but my last was solid. I did a write up on Reddit about it but if there's interest I'll try to get more indepth -

https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalbarbel ... ce_so_far/

crnewhouse

Post by crnewhouse »

Very thorough plan! I think this will do wonders for many people that are brand new to TB. Maybe ask to have this thrown into the beginner's section too?
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Thanks for all the kind comments.
keenymeeny wrote:Looks solid, I'll be borrowing this for my wife. I see you're into Go-Ruck, it'd be awesome to see some sort of TB based Go-Ruck prep plan at some point!
I've done a few approaches but my last was solid. I did a write up on Reddit about it but if there's interest I'll try to get more indepth -

https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalbarbel ... ce_so_far/
Grouch is there by any chance can you reupload the image file as the link is not working?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Ibrahimovic - here you go.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Ibrahimovic - here you go.

thank you very much!! appreciate it man