Speedwork: A Primer

DocOctagon

Speedwork: A Primer

Post by DocOctagon »

Lots of recent threads about preparing for 1.5 mile/2 Mile/3 Mile/Coopers. The formula that emerges in numerous threads is excellent;

Base Building
+
Speed Work

Base Building is pretty straightforward. If you're preparing for a running based test, then run. Follow the guidelines provided in the template, vary duration according to training objective if necessary.

When you get to Continuation, you need to "add speed" as recommended by many knowledgeable posters; and the recommendation is sound. It's not just speed that we're adding of course, the term is being used to cover tempo runs, interval training, lactate threshold work, and other facets of running. So if you're preparing for PFT, don't spend your HICs doing MeatEater 2, Sledge Drill or GCs. Do these instead:

Fast 5: self explanatory, tempo run. No need to stick to 5k. Vary the distance, try longer and shorter runs.

Oxygen Debt 101: Criminally overlooked. This is a pro-style running workout, and it's fantastic for lactate threshold tolerance, anaerobic output, and speed.

Anaerobic Capacity: self explanatory.

All the Hill Workouts: Bloody Lungs, Apex, Short

BOO 1 & 2

Speed Endurance Ladders

Fartleks: longer runs interspersed with random intervals at higher speeds.

Just a few off the top of my head. All of the above develop running specific anaerobic capacity, lactate threshold tolerance, and speed, in varying degrees.

Just a short primer folks. In conclusion, the point I'm trying to make is if you're preparing for running based tests or want to become an all-around running badass, then follow the formula. Spend 6-12 weeks on LISS, then switch to the above or similar for Continuation. Don't waste your time with GCs and HICs that aren't applicable to your event.

Please share your own speed workouts or preparation training in this thread!

Tym87

Re: Speedwork: A Primer

Post by Tym87 »

I'd like to add that 600 meter resets belong here as well

NFARCH

Post by NFARCH »

Tym87 wrote:I'd like to add that 600 meter resets belong here as well
x2 I found this and Buffalo Laps very helpful.

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

Question. Are you saying that after you finish base building you shouldn't bother with any of those nice long, slow, steady state runs from BB? Just focus on the speedwork?

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

tomcatflyer wrote:Question. Are you saying that after you finish base building you shouldn't bother with any of those nice long, slow, steady state runs from BB? Just focus on the speedwork?

LAte reply- but I believe he is saying to train those IN ADDITION TO. You would still do a LSS type run 1x every week or two, these are good for recovery, both physical and mental, as well as more aerobic work. you never eliminate anything 100% as that ignores that asset of fitness.

in short- your focus should switch.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

I got a question on this one...

Obviously in the Black Pro. template, it says to do two HICs (#1-10) in the book. Say in Base building (the second half) and continuation, would it be appropriate to do Oxygen Debt AND 600m Resets plus a longer E session for an example? Or should I vary it up and do one of those, a Fast 5K and a long E? So something like an interval, then a mid range fast(er) run, and then a E session?
Get after it!