Accessory Work for wrestling

MxS/SE/HIC/E
blairwrestler97

Accessory Work for wrestling

Post by blairwrestler97 »

Hello guys,

So currently I am running the operator template, bench/squat/deadlift cluster 3x a week. The the other three days I am running the base building conditioning work, so right now it is just 3 endurance sessions, with the mandatory 1 day off per week. I wrestle 2x/week at the moment and am working on getting my weight down at the moment.
Given the context, on my max strength days or even after cardio, I was wondering what would be some beneficial accessory work in order to enhance or improve upon my foundation for wrestling?

Thanks!

Tyr0331

Re: Accessory Work for wrestling

Post by Tyr0331 »

blairwrestler97 wrote:Hello guys,

So currently I am running the operator template, bench/squat/deadlift cluster 3x a week. The the other three days I am running the base building conditioning work, so right now it is just 3 endurance sessions, with the mandatory 1 day off per week. I wrestle 2x/week at the moment and am working on getting my weight down at the moment.
Given the context, on my max strength days or even after cardio, I was wondering what would be some beneficial accessory work in order to enhance or improve upon my foundation for wrestling?

Thanks!
Personally I would get some kettlebell work in. It’s inproved my grappling game tremendously over the last few years

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Tyr0331 wrote:
blairwrestler97 wrote:Hello guys,

Thanks!
Personally I would get some kettlebell work in. It’s inproved my grappling game tremendously over the last few years
Was going to suggest the same thing- replace a DL day with KB swings or snatch. Gets more explosive ballistic work in/ muscle endurance. Additionally I would add some pullups or rope climbing in there. If you don't have access to a rope, try some Towel pullups. Granted this was years ago and all we had on my wrestling team; but its a great tool for grip strength which is always a huge advantage. Grabbing someone, and them FEELING instantly, "This guy isn't going to let go of my arm......and theres nothing I can do about it."

Grip strength=old man strength. You know it when you feel it lol

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

What worked for me personally was short sprints for power. Just 10m sprints or 10m with a light prowler. Helped my explosiveness with doubles and singles.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Some good Ideas above.

Personally I love weighted pullups for pulling strength and holding on tight for singles and similar.

Can you get to wrestling more at all or do you have someone available to drill with?
If I was you I would use the spare time to drill over adding in more accessories.

You would be better served just drilling shooting and sprawls as a finisher when fatigued from your strength work.
Move back and forth on a mat and work on perfect technique.

If you have a partner who can assist even better.