TSAC

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mtguy1976

TSAC

Post by mtguy1976 »

Anyone hear of or know anyone that has gotten certified from NSCA for Tactical Strength and Conditioning? https://www.nsca.com/Certification/TSAC/
Possibly thinking about getting it. Thanks

Adski

Re: TSAC

Post by Adski »

Funnily enough I have met and been taught (rehab stuff mainly) by the head of TSAC (Australia). They’re a very knowledgeable bunch. This being said, to answer your question, it depends.

Are you currently a serving defence member?

Would you be using it to train yourself or others? If so, what are the main goals? The answers to those questions may help to determine whether it is useful for you or not.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I looked at doing it all a few years ago, but they don't seem to be to active here in Australia.

If you want to make a career in Training Tactical athletes then I guess it is a qualification.
These days it's a pretty flooded market though.

If you just want to get educated and have the spare cash give it a crack.
I usually find you are better off seeking out coaches that have a background in something you want to specifically focus on and getting some knowledge in that.

In my opinion,The main thing for Tactical athletes is focusing on recovery. Most are carrying overuse injuries and have dealt/deal with high stress on a daily basis. They then get exposed to massive smash PT sessions and just continually abuse their body.

That Rehab/Prehab stuff that Adski got exposed to is brilliant because most know how to run/lift/fight but not how to look after themselves.

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

Thanks guys for the response. I am active LEO in the US, SWAT for 13 years. I'm looking at it for myself, for work (trying to create a position actually to help out my guys) and for retirement in the long run with some personal certifications. Thats great with the rehab stuff, I know myself and teammates are all banged up for the years of training. Thanks again

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

mtguy1976 wrote:Thanks guys for the response. I am active LEO in the US, SWAT for 13 years. I'm looking at it for myself, for work (trying to create a position actually to help out my guys) and for retirement in the long run with some personal certifications. Thats great with the rehab stuff, I know myself and teammates are all banged up for the years of training. Thanks again

Sounds like a good fit for you then.

I am at the start of my career for similar, but I come with high miles from the army.
I will be doing similar to you with one of my long term goals to implement to assist in implement that kind of stuff.

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

Maxrip13 wrote: Sounds like a good fit for you then.

I am at the start of my career for similar, but I come with high miles from the army.
I will be doing similar to you with one of my long term goals to implement to assist in implement that kind of stuff.
Good luck. The older I get and more miles I have, the more I want to teach other others about making better decisions for training and post training

Adski

Post by Adski »

Even if you were to get your guys (should you have the opportunity) to follow a decently periodised program you will find benefit. Using TB as an example, you could work with a 3/1 principle and could make that work, you could also run bb for them as well at the start of the year, though if it’s anything like defence, you may not have the luxury of having everyone present st the same time all the time, then there’s times away (field etc). This is where you can regress on your program a few steps then build back up as opposed to picking up where you left off or, “hitting the ground running”, (an all too familiar practice due to certain mindsets that are somewhat challenging to change).

If you have certain goals for your group, you can plan to cover them within your blocks of training concurrently, so, if conditioning was a higher priority, then a template like fighter (for example) would be beneficial, and if you wanted running to be more of a focus, you could have runs twice a week and a GC session or GPP session once a week.

Are you taking large groups?

What equipment do you have access too (PT equipment) and is there enough for the group size you plan on taking?

Since you already have experience in defence, some elements of the course you are looking at, you will more than likely be all over, ruck marches, battle PT etc. The periodisation and recovery is where you will definitely get your most bang for buck.

Something that may not be covered is making changes in real time. Having back up plans to your lessons can help, and generally always plan to have more people than what you are told will be there to cover all bases. As well as having people to assist you if you are taking large groups from a control point of view.

It could also be worth looking into other recovery strategies that you can implement as well as other training strategies that can prevent niggles etc. for example, having a straight up mobility session planned or a recovery swim. For conditioning, say running seems to be developing a shin niggle or two, nothing alternating with a rower or a dumbbell Circuit can’t fix (targeting the same energy system, just with a different tool).

If you’re focusing more on yourself, if you’re not already using TB, I would reccomend both TB 3rd edition, TB conditioning and Ageless Athlete. AA and the old warhorse template could be perfect for you. Plus there is always consulting with the people at TB themselves if that is something you are interested in.

Lastly, definitely agree with getting some qualifications, and if you get a chance to work in a rehab space, definitely take it, you can always pick up a bit of knowledge from physios etc.

All the best.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

mtguy1976 wrote:

Good luck. The older I get and more miles I have, the more I want to teach other others about making better decisions for training and post training
I am 26 and held together with duct tape.

I started serious weightlifting and powerlifting very young and paid off recovery.
Add to that 8 years in the Army and now the challenges of being in LE.
Throw in a background in MMA and now a focus on BJJ. I am what you would call a high mileaged athlete.

TB and Ageless athlete are great and can help reign me in haha.
One thing I do find is the stronger I am the harder it is to get injured. I also recovery pretty well and avoid catastrophic injuries.

I am using an 80% training max for my back squat this next cycle and I am really looking forward to it.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Maxrip13 wrote:
mtguy1976 wrote:

I am 26 and held together with duct tape.

I started serious weightlifting and powerlifting very young and paid off recovery.
Add to that 8 years in the Army and now the challenges of being in LE.
Throw in a background in MMA and now a focus on BJJ. I am what you would call a high mileaged athlete.

TB and Ageless athlete are great and can help reign me in haha.
One thing I do find is the stronger I am the harder it is to get injured. I also recovery pretty well and avoid catastrophic injuries.

I am using an 80% training max for my back squat this next cycle and I am really looking forward to it.
x2 on keeping the strength work in as a preventative to injury. One of the reasons I feel I am still able to do a lot that I can do/maintain now is due to listening to older friends of mine that told me about 15 or so years ago is to do everything you can from an overall fitness and recovery point of view to avoid being too banged up when you’re older. Obviously regardless of fitness level, as life changes along with getting older, planning smart is very important for the long haul, but you are definitely 100% right!