Operator and APFT

MxS/SE/HIC/E
NKB88

Operator and APFT

Post by NKB88 »

Good evening guys,

Purchased and read TB about six weeks ago and I've been loving the Operator template (just finished week 5 - 85% week). However, I just found out that I need to take the APFT in three weeks (just transferred units). I usually stop squatting/benching/deadlifting in the month leading up to a PT test, but I'd really like to keep up with maximal strength work, even if I'm just trying to maintain.

I would like to run Alpha/Bravo circuits with Push ups and situps ups 3x week until then. I'm a reservist and I don't train these movements unless I have a test coming up. I usually score around 70 sit ups and 60 push ups without too much preparation. I keep up with running so I'm good to go there.

I know the book said to alternate max strength blocks with SE blocks, but is there a way for me to stay fresh with the weights while shifting some attention to SE clusters 3x week? I feel like the Bangkok variant would be too little frequency, and I do not have the option of greasing the groove throughout the day. Thanks for your help!

Kinetic

Re: Operator and APFT

Post by Kinetic »

Yup, you can do a Bangkok with finishers like this:

1. Strip Fighter template right down, to no more than 2 or 3 lifts tops. Do the minimums.
2. After each Fighter session do SE circuits as a finisher, but ONLY using the exercises in APFT.
3. For your standalone SE session do a more fleshed out SE cluster which not only includes the APFT exercises but a couple more to bring your total up to 4-6 exercises.

With this you'll hit your PFT exercises SE style 3 x week and you can use A or B type progression. And you get to keep some max-strength going.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

There was a similar post about this in another section of this forum. The consensus was a 6 week block of Fighter Bangkok rotated with a 3 week block of SE.

However, that guy had a lot longer than you do. I think Kenetic's advice is pretty solid given your limited time frame.

NKB88

Post by NKB88 »

Thanks for the advice guys!

I did read the other thread and considered trying it out. Like you said, the limited time I have makes Kinetic's plan the better option. Plus I want to keep some limited max strength work to help drive up endurance numbers.

My current 3x week Operator cluster is the back squat/ bench/ weighted pull up with 3 sets deadlifts once a week instead of pull ups. I'll ditch the deadlifts and add bodyweight chin ups and dumbell swings as the extra movements on the SE focus day. Thanks for the awesome plan!

Fedaykin

Post by Fedaykin »

NKB88 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys!

I did read the other thread and considered trying it out. Like you said, the limited time I have makes Kinetic's plan the better option. Plus I want to keep some limited max strength work to help drive up endurance numbers.

My current 3x week Operator cluster is the back squat/ bench/ weighted pull up with 3 sets deadlifts once a week instead of pull ups. I'll ditch the deadlifts and add bodyweight chin ups and dumbell swings as the extra movements on the SE focus day. Thanks for the awesome plan!

Solid. The WPUs and BP should convert nicely with the additional add-on push-up/pull-up Se finishers. I'm probably preaching to the choir, but remember to take a few days off completely before APFT.

NKB88

Post by NKB88 »

Fedaykin wrote:
NKB88 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys!

Solid. The WPUs and BP should convert nicely with the additional add-on push-up/pull-up Se finishers. I'm probably preaching to the choir, but remember to take a few days off completely before APFT.
Thanks. Everything feels pretty good so far. Had my first day of 95% work today. Hit doubles on all sets. My rest between sets has been around 2 minutes the whole block. Today I rested three minutes for bench. Looking forward to the endurance work.

taaland

Post by taaland »

Kinetic wrote:Yup, you can do a Bangkok with finishers like this:

1. Strip Fighter template right down, to no more than 2 or 3 lifts tops. Do the minimums.
2. After each Fighter session do SE circuits as a finisher, but ONLY using the exercises in APFT.
3. For your standalone SE session do a more fleshed out SE cluster which not only includes the APFT exercises but a couple more to bring your total up to 4-6 exercises.

With this you'll hit your PFT exercises SE style 3 x week and you can use A or B type progression. And you get to keep some max-strength going.
What about any E? I'm in the same position, about 6 weeks out from an APFT as well. Was looking to get going something like this:\

Day 1: SQ/BP/WPU with PU and SU finisher
Day 2: HIC
Day 3: SQ/BP/WPU with PU and SU finisher
Day 4: HIC
Day 5: 30-60 min E or recovery
Day 6: SE Cirtcuit
Day 7: rest

Maybe I am off on this a bit, but compressed down to 4-6 weeks is tough to do. I'm coming off base building.

Xray

Post by Xray »

taaland wrote:

What about any E? I'm in the same position, about 6 weeks out from an APFT as well. Was looking to get going something like this:\

Maybe I am off on this a bit, but compressed down to 4-6 weeks is tough to do. I'm coming off base building.
Black protocol standard allows for one E every other week, and the Professional version allows for one E every week so you should be good to go. If you're prepping for APFT I'd recommend using mostly runs and hill sprints for your HICs. Fast 5 especially.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

taaland wrote:

I don't see any issues, other than you might want to space out your Fighter sessions more. Switch up from Day 3 to Day 4. Don't be afraid to skip a HIC or E every other week or so if the volume becomes too much. If you're coming off Base and most of your E's were runs and FunRuns (as they should be for APFT prep) then you shouldn't need too many E sessions. Tempo runs (like the Fast 5) and HICs like Short Hills, Apex and Buffalo Laps should be your focus. Don't waste your time with HICs that use the heavy bag, or omit running. Not until after your PFT anyway.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Take this with a grain of salt, because I've never taken the APFT. That being said, I agree with the other folks say about "Fast Fives" and hill sprints. You might also find "Strength Endurance Ladders" and "Anaerobic Capacity" spot on too. The APFT includes a 2400m run, right? Something I used to to get my 1600m under 6.00 for the first time was to start working on just running 400m intervals at a 1:30 pace. As soon as I could do that casually, I then started compressing the rest intervals over time. I eventually started doing 800m intervals at a 3:00 pace, and worked on compressing the rest interval. When it came time to test myself on the 1600 I just kept my now usual pace for the first 1200m, and then busted ass on the last lap to get under 6:00. Some guys I have advised used this method to good effect in their 2400m tests.