Training Max *again*

MxS/SE/HIC/E
J-Madd

Re: Training Max *again*

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:Here's a little something I did to set my training max for a coming block that I'll start next week. I was a little unsure of how I set my SQ t-max (I haven't been under the bar seriously since May), and for various reasons I didn't want to do a test this week. Last night I had a really excellent (though super taxing) BJJ session followed by a pretty bad night's sleep. The result is that I started today feeling pretty shitty, and not feeling the love for a workout. Nevertheless, I went to the gym over my lunch break, and worked up to a triple with the 90% based on my t-max I was planning on for the squat. Even though I am not Super-Jim today, I still hit a crisp triple at 90%. Now I know that I can cover the numbers in this block, even on an off day.
I've used to go by 80% of previous 1RM without retesting after few weeks off in the past. It never failed for me. Nice way to slide back to training...

What have you decided for the coming block? OP or ZULU?
Ug . . . I was still undecided even today, but after that session I decided to go OP. Today I hit that triple on the squats, did 100 1H swings, and called it a day. That's a pretty effective workout, and (even though I felt pretty bad earlier) I'm feeling great now. That reminded me how excellent a minimal cluster is with OP. I've also been having trouble scheduling Zulu for work/life reasons -- three instead of four days of lifting is much easier for me to work with now given those other factors.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:Here's a little something I did to set my training max for a coming block that I'll start next week. I was a little unsure of how I set my SQ t-max (I haven't been under the bar seriously since May), and for various reasons I didn't want to do a test this week. Last night I had a really excellent (though super taxing) BJJ session followed by a pretty bad night's sleep. The result is that I started today feeling pretty shitty, and not feeling the love for a workout. Nevertheless, I went to the gym over my lunch break, and worked up to a triple with the 90% based on my t-max I was planning on for the squat. Even though I am not Super-Jim today, I still hit a crisp triple at 90%. Now I know that I can cover the numbers in this block, even on an off day.
I've used to go by 80% of previous 1RM without retesting after few weeks off in the past. It never failed for me. Nice way to slide back to training...

What have you decided for the coming block? OP or ZULU?
Ug . . . I was still undecided even today, but after that session I decided to go OP. Today I hit that triple on the squats, did 100 1H swings, and called it a day. That's a pretty effective workout, and (even though I felt pretty bad earlier) I'm feeling great now. That reminded me how excellent a minimal cluster is with OP. I've also been having trouble scheduling Zulu for work/life reasons -- three instead of four days of lifting is much easier for me to work with now given those other factors.
Awesome!

I've been thinking of adding DL with min sets every other week and switch it with E..
Just a though on keeping standard OP and introducing light DL on a side.. Not sure I'd go this road, but..

Good luck with new block!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I always used my true one rep max in the past, but now I believe the training max is the way to go. I even apply this on my testing days.
I won't even push for a true 1 rep max if I feel that my body would be good to hit that higher amount.

I have become a big fan of the gradual forced progression over time.
I can either add 20 kg today in one hit and stall out for the rest of the year.
The alternative is to only add 5 kg and do that regularly through the coming months. I generally find that repeated small amount result in the higher rep max in the long run.
I am training for long term strength these days and not instant results.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Just curious.. In case of switching clusters like 12 weeks of "primary" cluster / 6 weeks of "secondary" cluster..

What do you guys think about running TM for primary cluster and 1RM for secondary cluster?
Example: TM for BSQ/BP/WPU and 1RM for FS/OHP/Row..

Something like that?

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

I have been beaten into submission by the wise people on this Board and my own experience.

I'm sticking to a training max.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:I have been beaten into submission by the wise people on this Board and my own experience.

I'm sticking to a training max.
Fair enough!

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

Barkadion wrote:Just curious.. In case of switching clusters like 12 weeks of "primary" cluster / 6 weeks of "secondary" cluster..

What do you guys think about running TM for primary cluster and 1RM for secondary cluster?

Something like that?
Why? What will you gain by doing this?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Sorntel wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Just curious.. In case of switching clusters like 12 weeks of "primary" cluster / 6 weeks of "secondary" cluster..

Something like that?
Why? What will you gain by doing this?
Frankly, I don't have an answer. My thought was that TM makes sense if you using it consistently for a while with several blocks.
1RM might make sense for random secondary blocks as a matter of pushing yourself once in a while.. so you are changing dynamic along with the routine. It might be totally wrong idea, though..

Dovx

Post by Dovx »

I think the main problem OP had was his cluster. Squat/OHP/Bench ...which is squat/v. push/h. push. It was inevitable to miss reps at some point. (shoulders-triceps fatigue)

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Well, I just finished a block of Operator. It wasn't a perfect block, as I missed 10 days on travel, and ended extending it out to 9 weeks with a couple of repeat weeks.

Test day today. I hit personal records on all three lifts I tested.

Squat 1RM went up 20 pounds, Bench 10, OHP 5.

I used a training max this block.

I guess I have my answer! :D