Best book for the RCMP

MxS/SE/HIC/E
averageguy

Best book for the RCMP

Post by averageguy »

Hello all,

I am considering beginning the application for the RCMP soon.

Here are my stats (modified a little bit for anonymity) :

Age/sex : 28/Male, around 175 pounds
Training Goal : Top 20% of Depot (the RCMP academy), I believe there is an obstacle course circuit and running, pushups, things like that
Strength Template and Conditioning Protocol : on/off gym during 2 years, mostly off TBH
Lift numbers (in pounds)
- Squat 275
- DL 315
- Bench 170
Run Times : don't have a recent time. Probably slow
Diet - dietary restrictions : nothing special

I have a lot of fitness books, some purchased, some I received (Tactical Barbell 1 and 2 (not the PPLE one), 531 Forever, etc.).

I think my biggest problem is I HAVE TOO MUCH INFORMATION available. Honestly I would like hiring a trainer who would tell me "Do this program and I will check if you're doing it" but I don't have money for that. So I tend to start a program, think "oh I would be better doing this", then I "add that" and I don't really progress as much as I would like to.

So I came here because I think some of you have "been there, done that" and could help me do this.

What should I do from now until the beginning of training to be the most physically ready I can be (6 to 18 months from what I know, if they accept my application) ?

Nomad

Re: Best book for the RCMP

Post by Nomad »

averageguy wrote:Hello all,

I am considering beginning the application for the RCMP soon.

Here are my stats (modified a little bit for anonymity) :

Age/sex : 28/Male, around 175 pounds
Training Goal : Top 20% of Depot (the RCMP academy), I believe there is an obstacle course circuit and running, pushups, things like that
Strength Template and Conditioning Protocol : on/off gym during 2 years, mostly off TBH
Lift numbers (in pounds)
- Squat 275
- DL 315
- Bench 170
Run Times : don't have a recent time. Probably slow
Diet - dietary restrictions : nothing special

I have a lot of fitness books, some purchased, some I received (Tactical Barbell 1 and 2 (not the PPLE one), 531 Forever, etc.).

I think my biggest problem is I HAVE TOO MUCH INFORMATION available. Honestly I would like hiring a trainer who would tell me "Do this program and I will check if you're doing it" but I don't have money for that. So I tend to start a program, think "oh I would be better doing this", then I "add that" and I don't really progress as much as I would like to.

So I came here because I think some of you have "been there, done that" and could help me do this.

What should I do from now until the beginning of training to be the most physically ready I can be (6 to 18 months from what I know, if they accept my application) ?
Depot is a joke these days. I believe the only physical benchmark one has to pass now is the PARE. You're already strong enough, so put a little work into your conditioning. The PARE is pretty much all aerobic/anaerobic and most people can pass it with very little training. Run TB2 (Base Building and Black Professional) with one of the strength protocols and you'll be way ahead of the pack. What have you been doing up till now for strength training?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Just to add - about 13 weeks out I would follow the routine they have posted as a preparation guide.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/12-week-fitness-program

averageguy

Post by averageguy »

Nomad wrote: Depot is a joke these days. I believe the only physical benchmark one has to pass now is the PARE. You're already strong enough, so put a little work into your conditioning. The PARE is pretty much all aerobic/anaerobic and most people can pass it with very little training.
OK, I found this today from the RCMP website:

5k : 23m15s
8k : 41m
PARE : 4m
Nomad wrote: Run TB2 (Base Building and Black Professional) with one of the strength protocols and you'll be way ahead of the pack. What have you been doing up till now for strength training?
Mostly this :
Press behind neck : 2x12
Bent-over rows : 3x15
Bench :3x12
Curls : 1x10
Squats : 2x15
Pullovers: 2x20
Stiff-legged deads : 1x15
Leg raises : 1x25