Why no A-B-A B-A-B style scheduling?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
ectional

Why no A-B-A B-A-B style scheduling?

Post by ectional »

Basically title.
This obviously applies to operator and would create more balance in weight training. I understand that TB excels in minimalism but would this really break that principle that much?
A: bench, squat, pull up
B: deadlift (at least once a week, second session optional), row, ohp

I'm not wanting to change the program, I just started wondering.

Aelian

Re: Why no A-B-A B-A-B style scheduling?

Post by Aelian »

Basically for a submaximal strategy to work you need frequency. Hitting a lift once a week at 70%-75%rm isn't optimal to stimulate strength gains or muscle growth. Hitting it 2-3 x a week is (and then some), with 3x being better than 2x. Generally speaking.

Less frequency = more intensity needed to stimulate that growth... But if you bring a higher level of intensity to each and every weight training session, your conditioning workouts will suffer and/or it'll interfere with an operational lifestyle. Hence the entire TB approach.

"Balance" is an extremely subjective term. Is Simple and Sinister balanced? How about Smolov, Korte, or Russian Bear? Why stop at OHP and Rows, why don't we include an ab exercise on the list? A basic push/pull/legs set-up is more than adequate when it comes balance for MS. Also don't forget to factor in your TB conditioning protocol which adds more balance through various exercises and drills. Easily tailored to fill in any perceived imbalances in your MS protocol.

WallBilly

Re: Why no A-B-A B-A-B style scheduling?

Post by WallBilly »

ectional wrote:Basically title.
This obviously applies to operator and would create more balance in weight training. I understand that TB excels in minimalism but would this really break that principle that much?
A: bench, squat, pull up
B: deadlift (at least once a week, second session optional), row, ohp

I'm not wanting to change the program, I just started wondering.
If you did this twice in a week, you would be doing classic Zulu. This is my go-to MS template and it works well for me.

Mon: Squat/OHP
Tue: Bench/row

Thu: Squat/OHP
Fri: Bench/Dead