Grip strength/endurance problem.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Wavelength

Grip strength/endurance problem.

Post by Wavelength »

Background info:

5 months into TB, I've completed 8 weeks of basebuilding and i'm now in my 12th week of operator/black.
Absolutely loving this programme and the flexibility it allows for me to arrange around my sport (Judo).

Stats:

5ft 8-9, 92kg.
Small-medium size frame.
Coaches want me between 75 and 81kg.

Squat: 140 kg
Bench: 100 kg
Deadlift: 170 kg
BW Pull-ups: 7

I'm having a problem now with my grip while training.
Like when i deadlift, whenever i try 160 for 3 or 150 for 5 the bar slips through my hands despite using an over/under grip.
I can only seem to lift singles or doubles at best because of it and never get a consecutive set.
Same with pull-ups. I really, really want to hit 10 consecutive pull-ups so i can start weighted on my next cycle but i get to 7 and my hand grip slides. My forearms, back etc feel fine but my hands go first.

I've tried tried tacking a quick isometric grip strength circuit onto the end of my workout but to no avail.

So i was wondering if this is something anybody else on here as come across and how you overcame it?
I'm hoping losing weight should help with the BW pulls but i cant see it helping with the deadlift.
I was thinking of trying chalk? Straps maybe? do you think it would make that much of a difference? or is there a better long term solution out there?

Any advice appreciated!
Last edited by Wavelength on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WallBilly

Re: Grip strength/endurance problem.

Post by WallBilly »

The hard-core guys will tell you "straps are for pussies" and "man up, work on your grip strength!"

That's all fine and good if you are a competitive powerlifter in an event where straps are not allowed, or if you give a shit about what other people in the gym think about you.

If you are neither of those, and I am not, here is what I do.

I do a lot of warm-up sets, starting at 135 lbs (sorry for the stupid imperial units) and adding 50 lbs at a time. The first few warm-ups are belt free and strap free, with 5 reps or so. As the weight gets up there, I throw on the belt. The last few warm-up sets I only do 1 or 2 reps, and I try to do them with no straps. This has improved my grip strength substantially.

For the work set, if I am pulling more than 80% of 1 rep max, my grip will fail before my 5th rep.

So I use straps. Call me a pussy. The deadlift is not a grip exercise, and I don't think I should limit the benefit to the entire body of pushing the envelope on weight.

But, going strap free as long as possible on the warm-up sets will improve the grip strength.

$0.02

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Also, if it's a 70%, 75% or 80% week, I do my work set without straps.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

There's lots of different types of grip strength. It sounds like for you supporting strength is what you're after. Adding in some farmer's walks or timed hangs from the pull up bar after each session should help a lot. For extra fun, throw a gi top over the pull up bar and hang from the labels for time. A few sets after each session should be plenty of grip work.

Tom28

Post by Tom28 »

I suggest you try chalk (magnesium carbonate). It changed my deadlifting life. I used to lose alternating grip heavy deadlifts due to sweat on palms after a few reps. that never happens anymore due to grip issues. I will never deadlift again without chalk. I also use chalk on my back and bar for squats since I squat low bar.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Wavelength wrote:Background info:

5 months into TB, I've completed 8 weeks of basebuilding and i'm now in my 12th week of operator/black.
Absolutely loving this programme and the flexibility it allows for me to arrange around my sport (Judo).

Stats:

5ft 8-9, 92kg.
Small-medium size frame.
Coaches want me between 75 and 81kg.

Squat: 140 kg
Bench: 100 kg
Deadlift: 170 kg
BW Pull-ups: 7

I'm having a problem now with my grip while training.
Like when i deadlift, whenever i try 160 for 3 or 150 for 5 the bar slips through my hands despite using an over/under grip.
I can only seem to lift singles or doubles at best because of it and never get a consecutive set.
Same with pull-ups. I really, really want to hit 10 consecutive pull-ups so i can start weighted on my next cycle but i get to 7 and my hand grip slides. My forearms, back etc feel fine but my hands go first.

I've tried tried tacking a quick isometric grip strength circuit onto the end of my workout but to no avail.

So i was wondering if this is something anybody else on here as come across and how you overcame it?
I'm hoping losing weight should help with the BW pulls but i cant see it helping with the deadlift.
I was thinking of trying chalk? Straps maybe? do you think it would make that much of a difference? or is there a better long term solution out there?

Any advice appreciated!
It could be a few things;
1. Judo is pretty grip heavy. Is it possible you are going into lifting fatigued from your sport training? Is your grip strong enough for your sport?
2.92kg is pretty solid for your height. I am similar in height, but I am in that 75-81kg bracket your coaches want you in. I sit between 15-20 Pullups. Leaning out will improve your pullups, but not the deadlift.
3. Chalk is a big one. That will add 10+ kg minimum if you are failing due to grip strength. I saw above you aren't using any and you definitely should if you want to push big numbers.

Ways that might help:
Adding chalk will definitely help with the grip for higher rep deadlifts. I don't think I deadlift ever without any. Give that a go before straps.
I have also had success only using the under over grip for my main work sets and warming up with the conventional grip. This gets a bit of extra grip work in but could fatigue you for those max sets later.

I use a thumbless grip for my pullups. I think I read about it in an old dragondoor/strongfirst article as a way to do their "tactical pullups" for the TSC. I rarely have grip issues and I do all my pullups on a wooden beam with sharp edges. Give it a google and see if you can find what I mean. I recently swapped to gymnastics ring training and have noticed I get more fatigued with my thumb wrapped doing movements compared to my old thumbless grip.

Farmers walks and other heavy carries would definitely help strengthen your grip. You could also add in hanging from a bar for time(both loaded and unloaded), static holds at over your deadlift weight.

Pullups with a gi as mentioned above would be really good with the judo background, but I am just a bit worried you might be frying your grip a bit between sport and S&C.

Walrus Freud

Post by Walrus Freud »

Chalk for the win! Seriously, it helps a lot and I can't really think of a reason not to use it. If chalk lets you deadlift 160 for five reps whereas you without chalk could do it "only" for three reps, I would say that you're still getting grip strength training in the deadlift but you´re not letting your grip strength limit your total strength development.

A suggestion is to incorporate an isometric hold in the top position of your last deadlift for the day. I do that on weeks 1, 2, 4 and 5. Simply hold the weight in the top position for as long as you can without losing posture (or passing out). If you had any grip strength left before that, you won't have afterwards. Et voilà, maximal grips strength training with our without chalk :)

I've used chalk while doing farmer's walks too, by the way. My forearms still get just as sore, it's just that I get to walk a good deal farther before my grip gives out. If grip strength happened to be the limiting factor in my pullups I'd do the same thing there.
"Some days you shine, most days you grind" (from a friend, who probably stole it from someone else :) )

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

to chime in...

1) Are you frying your grips with judo training day before deadlifts? It definitely is a factor to be taken into account. Pullups clearly suffer as well if your grips are already shot.

2) in terms of concrete programming, I won't do pullups + deadlifts on the same day if i were you.

3) You want to continue to work your grips as a judoka, it is life! However there are probably more efficient ways such as farmer walks, grip crushers etc rather than let it be a limiting factor for your overall strength (ie deadlifts). I would try out straps. Or chalk is your friend, my personal experience is that it really helps.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Just to clarify, I think Farmer's walks and hanging from pull-up bars and holding the deadlift at the top to improve grip endurance are all great suggestions. Chalk too, if it helps. Great suggestions, guys.

For me, grip endurance isn't a primary goal, so I use my time to do other things. For a heavy 5-rep work set, using straps improves my pull by over 50 pounds.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Fat grip and thick pinch work can also be useful, but support grip should be your main focus. As others stated, farmers carries should be at the top end of your list.

Chalk can be useful as others stated also.

As for straps, I wouldn’t use them unless there’s a medical reason, or compete in an area where they are accepted/a requirement.