Thoughts on what template to use

MxS/SE/HIC/E
ds27

Thoughts on what template to use

Post by ds27 »

Heads up this will be a somewhat long read, so thanks in advance if you're able to offer any help.

Hey guys, I recently discovered TB and this forum and I believe TB is exactly what I was looking for.

Background I'm currently in college and am set to graduate this semester. I have a background in powerlifting and football, however after high school I grew tired of getting winded after walking up a flight of stairs and not being able to run a mile without dying so I decided to up my conditioning hence my involvement in Joel Jaminson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning. For the last four years I've alternated between doing the program outlined in that book and several of the older military athlete cycles. I've been interested in the military since Jr. High and due to the fact that I'm dissatisfied in my current career field I recently deped into the Army and am set to leave for basic in about 8 weeks

Current Stats I'm about 6'3 210# currently. I can run a 13:30 two mile, 37:13 5 mile, Ruck 4 miles@45# in 51 minutes,45 push-ups(I'm really bad at these), 98 sit-ups, 275# bench, 445# squat, 495# Deadlift, 16 pull-ups. The reason I'm interested in TB is because of my push-ups and strength-endurance in general . I really like what I was doing, but Strength-Endurance is a real weakness of mine that TB seems to directly address through its SE cycles in base building and continuation.

Goal My specific goal is to eventually get a shot at RASP. I was not able to secure a option 40 contract at MEPS so I'll likely need to be one of the higher PT scores in my basic training or AIT class to get a RASP slot.

Actual Question In the remaining eight weeks I have would y'all suggest I run a base building block, green protocol, black professional, or the RASP program that the Army puts out. I've run with heart rate restrictions before, but never for the length of time base prescribes. While I would love to be able to earn a RASP slot in either basic or AIT, I understand this is highly random and I may have to put in a packet after I arrive at my first duty station.

Aelian

Re: Thoughts on what template to use

Post by Aelian »

Look into incorporating SE-Only blocks, along with push-up finishers for the rest of the time.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

Aelian wrote:Look into incorporating SE-Only blocks, along with push-up finishers for the rest of the time.
x2

This thread might help:

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=8&t=323

Also there's lots of RASP/ranger specific threads on r/tacticalbarbell (reddit).

ds27

Post by ds27 »

Thanks for the advice.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

ds27 wrote:Heads up this will be a somewhat long read, so thanks in advance if you're able to offer any help.

Hey guys, I recently discovered TB and this forum and I believe TB is exactly what I was looking for.

Background I'm currently in college and am set to graduate this semester. I have a background in powerlifting and football, however after high school I grew tired of getting winded after walking up a flight of stairs and not being able to run a mile without dying so I decided to up my conditioning hence my involvement in Joel Jaminson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning. For the last four years I've alternated between doing the program outlined in that book and several of the older military athlete cycles. I've been interested in the military since Jr. High and due to the fact that I'm dissatisfied in my current career field I recently deped into the Army and am set to leave for basic in about 8 weeks

Current Stats I'm about 6'3 210# currently. I can run a 13:30 two mile, 37:13 5 mile, Ruck 4 miles@45# in 51 minutes,45 push-ups(I'm really bad at these), 98 sit-ups, 275# bench, 445# squat, 495# Deadlift, 16 pull-ups. The reason I'm interested in TB is because of my push-ups and strength-endurance in general . I really like what I was doing, but Strength-Endurance is a real weakness of mine that TB seems to directly address through its SE cycles in base building and continuation.

Goal My specific goal is to eventually get a shot at RASP. I was not able to secure a option 40 contract at MEPS so I'll likely need to be one of the higher PT scores in my basic training or AIT class to get a RASP slot.

Actual Question In the remaining eight weeks I have would y'all suggest I run a base building block, green protocol, black professional, or the RASP program that the Army puts out. I've run with heart rate restrictions before, but never for the length of time base prescribes. While I would love to be able to earn a RASP slot in either basic or AIT, I understand this is highly random and I may have to put in a packet after I arrive at my first duty station.
You are reasonably fit which is a good start. Those push up numbers are very low though. I wouldn't stress too much because at least you have been training and have a decent level of fitness. I think you will do enough push ups to get those numbers up there through basic. Max strength is usually what goes for any military type courses.You will drop a bit of weight at basic and I think you will see your push up numbers rise due to that.

Just get through basic and work towards your future goals from there. Mil athlete offers excellent selection packets that are arguably the most recommended I have come across. I love their training but I enjoy having a life too much to do it full time. Atomic athlete (from Mil athlete coaches) offers a soldier program that might be worth a look. I like TB for my day to day training and other stuff for specific events or times when I feel like pushing the envelope in my training.

Some good suggestions above also.

ds27

Post by ds27 »

Maxrip13 wrote:
ds27 wrote:Heads up this will be a somewhat long read, so thanks in advance if you're able to offer any help.

You are reasonably fit which is a good start. Those push up numbers are very low though. I wouldn't stress too much because at least you have been training and have a decent level of fitness. I think you will do enough push ups to get those numbers up there through basic. Max strength is usually what goes for any military type courses.You will drop a bit of weight at basic and I think you will see your push up numbers rise due to that.

Just get through basic and work towards your future goals from there. Mil athlete offers excellent selection packets that are arguably the most recommended I have come across. I love their training but I enjoy having a life too much to do it full time. Atomic athlete (from Mil athlete coaches) offers a soldier program that might be worth a look. I like TB for my day to day training and other stuff for specific events or times when I feel like pushing the envelope in my training.

Thanks for the suggestions Maxrip. I agree with your assessment of Military Athlete, I love their programming but it can be time consuming at times, especially their old stamina cycles. I'll use your suggestion and use TB for my day to day programming and Military Athlete for any specific events in the future.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

ds27 wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions Maxrip. I agree with your assessment of Military Athlete, I love their programming but it can be time consuming at times, especially their old stamina cycles. I'll use your suggestion and use TB for my day to day programming and Military Athlete for any specific events in the future.
As a heads up mil athlete just brought out a new app on apple and android today. They have changed their stamina cycles massively these days. Much higher volume but similar to TB now.

ds27

Post by ds27 »

Maxrip13 wrote:
ds27 wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

As a heads up mil athlete just brought out a new app on apple and android today. They have changed their stamina cycles massively these days. Much higher volume but similar to TB now.
Cool, thanks for the heads up about the app.