Transition from LP to TB

MxS/SE/HIC/E
abovetheline

Transition from LP to TB

Post by abovetheline »

Just read both TB books and am interested in Operator-Black Pro. I'm a CO in a Canadian jail and feel this is the protocol that would be of most benefit as I am sprinting (more or less) to codes within the jail and assisting other officers restraining fighting or unruly inmates.

I am currently running a Linear Progression program (GSLP) and am pleased with my progress. My most recent workout numbers are the following:

Squat - 2x5 1x6 245lbs
Deadlift - 1x7 245lbs
Bench - 2x5 1x7 200lbs
Row - 2x5 1x5 200lbs
OHP - 2x5 1x6 120lbs

The thing is I am starting to feel burnt out. I feel like I can keep making progress for another month or two, but am worried about injury. The options I have are:

1) Keep pushing through
2) Transition to TB (which is what I am ultimately planning to do)

I know I can continue to keep increasing my lifts, but really do not want an injury and have to take time off.

Thanks for any suggestions.

WallBilly

Re: Transition from LP to TB

Post by WallBilly »

LP is an awesome tool, but as you have learned, it is really really really difficult to set a PR on Monday and then on Wednesday and then again on Friday. And so on next week. Sooner or later, it ends up driving you into the ground.

Not knowing anything about your age or condition or height/weight, the numbers you have attained are certainly respectable.

Moreover, if you are young and pay attention to nutrition, and conditioning, your numbers WILL GO UP with TB/Op/Black. They may go up rather quickly. Not as quickly as on your LP, but at the end of the day, this is a lifetime journey. Your squat is at 245. If you are young and have good genes and nutrition, it won't be hard to get it to 305 soon. Who cares if it takes 6 months or 12 months or 18 months? Again, this is a lifetime journey.

I am forever grateful for discovering Starting Strength at age 51. I am even more grateful for discovering TB at age 52, which was 4 years ago.

Think the long game.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

abovetheline wrote:Just read both TB books and am interested in Operator-Black Pro. I'm a CO in a Canadian jail and feel this is the protocol that would be of most benefit as I am sprinting (more or less) to codes within the jail and assisting other officers restraining fighting or unruly inmates.

I am currently running a Linear Progression program (GSLP) and am pleased with my progress. My most recent workout numbers are the following:

Squat - 2x5 1x6 245lbs
Deadlift - 1x7 245lbs
Bench - 2x5 1x7 200lbs
Row - 2x5 1x5 200lbs
OHP - 2x5 1x6 120lbs

The thing is I am starting to feel burnt out. I feel like I can keep making progress for another month or two, but am worried about injury. The options I have are:

1) Keep pushing through

I know I can continue to keep increasing my lifts, but really do not want an injury and have to take time off.

LPs are fine, but they have a very limited shelf life. That shelf life gets drastically shorter when you're also training conditioning/cardio. If you feel like you're starting to grind session-to-session, that's usually a strong indicator that it's time for a transition. My one recommendation would be to use a training max for your first time with Operator, at least until you get a handle on how you respond to the combination of frequency and conditioning. You're in for a treat, Op/Black is one of the most effective (and fun) strength/conditioning protocols around. Also if you're feeling unusually burnt out, might be a good idea to take a week off before starting Op/Black.

abovetheline

Post by abovetheline »

You are both right regarding LP being a short-term tool. I was originally only planning to run GSLP for 3 months and that is about where I am at now with it. I was then going to switch to 5/3/1, but am now going to go with TB. Honestly it probably does not matter if I go with TB or 5/3/1 in the long run, but I really like the overall concept of TB's S&C.

One more GSLP strength session this week, then going to start BB next week. SE will be a nice break from the barbell, because damn, I am sluggish this week.

Will start a training log over in that forum.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy it.

The other point that I forgot to make about LP, straight from the horse's mouth: Rippetoe says that during the LP, especially when it starts to get challenging, you should do the following:

1. Eat like a horse. He suggests 4,000+ kcal/day.
2. Do NO conditioning.
3. Rest and sleep a lot.

His plan is to get big and strong and fat, which you can afford to do for 2-4 months, then bring in conditioning and lose some fat after you run out of gains, and go to a continuation protocol for lifting.

That may or may not be a plan that appeals to you, but if you don't follow it, you probably won't get as far along in the LP as you would have liked.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

abovetheline wrote:Just read both TB books and am interested in Operator-Black Pro. I'm a CO in a Canadian jail and feel this is the protocol that would be of most benefit as I am sprinting (more or less) to codes within the jail and assisting other officers restraining fighting or unruly inmates.

Squat - 2x5 1x6 245lbs
Deadlift - 1x7 245lbs
Bench - 2x5 1x7 200lbs
Row - 2x5 1x5 200lbs
OHP - 2x5 1x6 120lbs

1) Keep pushing through

Which greyskull template are u following bro ? How's ur routine like?

abovetheline

Post by abovetheline »

WallBilly wrote:Good luck, I think you'll enjoy it.

The other point that I forgot to make about LP, straight from the horse's mouth: Rippetoe says that during the LP, especially when it starts to get challenging, you should do the following:

1. Eat like a horse. He suggests 4,000+ kcal/day.
2. Do NO conditioning.
3. Rest and sleep a lot.

His plan is to get big and strong and fat, which you can afford to do for 2-4 months, then bring in conditioning and lose some fat after you run out of gains, and go to a continuation protocol for lifting.

That may or may not be a plan that appeals to you, but if you don't follow it, you probably won't get as far along in the LP as you would have liked.

That is more or less what I have been doing. I'm around 3500-3800 calories a day. Have gone for a few runs but nothing too crazy conditioning wise. I definitely have gained muscle, along with some fat. Gained about 15lbs or so over 3 months. So, I feel this was fairly successful. I really want to get some conditioning back though, because I feel slower/more tired at work when things get physical/running to codes. Time to switch to TB.

abovetheline

Post by abovetheline »

Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
Following Phrak's Variant.

ABA BAB

A - BB ROW/BP/SQ
B - PU/OHP/DL

DL stays fixed at only once a week. So squatting 2x week.

I would recommend it over SS/SL for sure.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

abovetheline wrote:
Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
Following Phrak's Variant.

ABA BAB

A - BB ROW/BP/SQ
B - PU/OHP/DL

DL stays fixed at only once a week. So squatting 2x week.

I would recommend it over SS/SL for sure.
I'm following the same phraks but only I'm also switching Squats and deadlifts each workout ...and r u incrementing by 2.5 or 5 lb? What do u suggest?....... how did go through with getting ur first pull up?

abovetheline

Post by abovetheline »

Ibrahimovic105 wrote: I'm following the same phraks but only I'm also switching Squats and deadlifts each workout ...and r u incrementing by 2.5 or 5 lb? What do u suggest?....... how did go through with getting ur first pull up?
I used 5lb increments. You will have to deload much faster, but it doesn't really matter especially if you start light. When I started I was already able to do 4 pullups. They have always been my weak point. I am 6'3' 245lbs with super long arms so they are not easy for me. Actually, I am planning to start the Fighter Pullup Program alongside BB (Alpha SE circuits) next week to get my numbers up. My goal is to get 10 before I start Block 2 (Operator/Black). My max Pullups are now 6, so only an increase of two in 3 months. Hopefully the program can give a boost to my max.