Backpack to carry kettlebell?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Oscar

Backpack to carry kettlebell?

Post by Oscar »

Hi all,

I'm new here, been lurking and it seems to be a great community.

I'd like to ask what backpack are you using to carry a kettlebell? I'd like to carry a 24 or 32 kg. I'm thinking an ALICE, or would a MOLLE or regular internally framed backpack work? I'm not military btw so I don't know much about these things.

Thanks!

Oscar

grouchyjarhead

Re: Backpack to carry kettlebell?

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Any good backpack designed for military use should work well. I carried a 24kg in a 5.11 Rush 72 pack with no issues whatsoever. I've had friends carry KBs in their GORUCK GR1s as well. An ALICE pack with an external frame would probably be fine - I've had heavier loads in them in the past.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

If you are just planning on putting all the weight on your shoulders then an Alice pack will be fine. Make sure you try to either put the kb in the radio pouch or line th bottom with “fluff” so it sits up as high as possible

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I would add - don’t do it for long distances (it’s awfully unwieldy) and wrap it up in blankets or an old pillow when you carry it. Having done Cannonball Run myself, I found these two key points necessary.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Tyr0331 wrote:If you are just planning on putting all the weight on your shoulders then an Alice pack will be fine. Make sure you try to either put the kb in the radio pouch or line th bottom with “fluff” so it sits up as high as possible
Oh I thought ALICE had a hip belt. More than 50 pounds only on the shoulders sounds like a lot. Fine for short distances but not sustainable for longer, at least for me.

Grouchy that 5.11 backpack looks like a good alternative, thanks.

If I were to take a kettlebell rucking, it would probably be a 16 kg for a "fun ruck " doing snatches (aside from a 4 block walk to the park where i might take the 32 kg). For a regular ruck I would just load the rucksack with sandbags or similar. I think a 16 kg can be kept in place with pillows or similar so that it doesn't move around.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Oscar wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:If you are just planning on putting all the weight on your shoulders then an Alice pack will be fine. Make sure you try to either put the kb in the radio pouch or line th bottom with “fluff” so it sits up as high as possible
Oh I thought ALICE had a hip belt. More than 50 pounds only on the shoulders sounds like a lot. Fine for short distances but not sustainable for longer, at least for me.

Grouchy that 5.11 backpack looks like a good alternative, thanks.

If I were to take a kettlebell rucking, it would probably be a 16 kg for a "fun ruck " doing snatches (aside from a 4 block walk to the park where i might take the 32 kg). For a regular ruck I would just load the rucksack with sandbags or similar. I think a 16 kg can be kept in place with pillows or similar so that it doesn't move around.
If it has a waist belt that’s that even better. I load my hunting packs to atleast 65% of the weight on the hips. Still try to load the weight in the radio pouch or as high as possible. You won’t notice much of a difference in packs until you start loading 45 pounds and up

Caiman

Post by Caiman »

Rear loaders (I have an Eberlestock Halftrack) are awesome for this. It has internal flaps that can clip and synch down that allow you to put a weight at any height you want on your back and keep it there.

The rear load makes situating and accessing things very easy.

This works especially well with KBs due to the shape.