"Owning" the weights

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Walrus Freud

"Owning" the weights

Post by Walrus Freud »

The other day I found myself thinking (it happens rarely, but it happens) about what "owning" the weights actually means. I completely agree that you should not move on to heavier weights until you really own/master the ones you're using. But it struck me that though I intuitively think I understand what "owning" means, it could very well mean something very different for someone else. Which isn't necessarily a problem, on the contrary, but I got curious about how other lifters sort of operationalize it. Aside from curiosity, like so many other people I want to progress as fast as possible and don't want to spend more time with a given weight than necessary. And I'm still kind of new to TB, right now I'm finishing up my fifth block. So I thought I might learn a few things from how you think about this.

So my question is: how, as concretely as possible, do you measure "owning the weight"?

Here's roughly how I measure "owning": First of all, I find it easier to use the heaviest weeks to measure it. Since I'm doing Zulu I/A, I use week 6 (95% of 1RM). It also makes sense since it's the last week in that block. I should probably also mention that I'm not using a training max. So far I've operationalized "owning" as being able to complete all five sets of two repetiitions with good form. It seems to work but again, my experience is limited.

The thing is, I feel it might be a little to conservative/cautious. I'm considering using three sets of two as my treshold instead. I'm also considering using an RPE estimate, since I'm usually fairly accurate in RPE ratings this close to my 1RM. For instance, if I can make the first set of two lifts with good form at an RPE 9 (meaning that I estimate that I could have completed another rep at the same weight with good form), that would roughly translate to that weight no longer being 95% of 1RM but rather 90% of 1RM, yes? And it might make sense to move on to heavier weights at that point, assuming that I went into the block with accurate numbers. From previous experience, I find five sets of two at 95% harder to achieve than one set of two at RPE 9. Which might mean that I could progress faster. Or, of course, that I would run into a brick wall two blocks later... I get that strength is a long term game, but that doesn't mean I want to move slower than necessary. So what do you guys do and how does it work for you?
"Some days you shine, most days you grind" (from a friend, who probably stole it from someone else :) )

WallBilly

Re: "Owning" the weights

Post by WallBilly »

I never own the weights . . . . I just rent 'em.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :twisted:

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:I never own the weights . . . . I just rent 'em.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :twisted:
Renting is much better than stealing :lol:
Couldn't resist either..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Joking aside.. You might want to read this one:

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=590

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Barkadion wrote:Joking aside.. You might want to read this one:

Good catch, Bark.

The other thing is, KB is a man of few words, and doesn't often preach or repeat advice, except:

He almost insists, over and over in place after place, that the wise tactical athlete uses a training max.

Walrus Freud

Post by Walrus Freud »

That's a good read, thank you! I'm still curious about when (as concrete and quantifiable as possible) the rest of you decide that it's time to use heavier weights, though :)

I'm not going to argue against a training max and I respect the voice(s) of experience. Maybe I just haven't gotten to the point/weights where a training max becomes relevant for me yet. Time will tell.
"Some days you shine, most days you grind" (from a friend, who probably stole it from someone else :) )

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Walrus Freud wrote:

That's a good read, thank you! I'm still curious about when (as concrete and quantifiable as possible) the rest of you decide that it's time to use heavier weights, though :)

I'm not going to argue against a training max and I respect the voice(s) of experience. Maybe I just haven't gotten to the point/weights where a training max becomes relevant for me yet. Time will tell.
I find that testing withing the block is very helpful. It can be humbling experience, though..

Try to hit max reps with the last set of your last session in giving block. Let's say that you can easily hit 6-8 reps with your 3rd set of 95% while having couple more reps in tank. That is good indication that you might go for forced progression safely. I would stay with current weight longer if I struggle with 3-4 reps.
IMHO.

Walrus Freud

Post by Walrus Freud »

Barkadion wrote: I find that testing withing the block is very helpful. It can be humbling experience, though..

Try to hit max reps with the last set of your last session in giving block. Let's say that you can easily hit 6-8 reps with your 3rd set of 95% while having couple more reps in tank. That is good indication that you might go for forced progression safely. I would stay with current weight longer if I struggle with 3-4 reps.
IMHO.
Thanks! Just to clarify: you're using a training max (90%? 80%?), right? Please say yes :D Because there's no way in h-ll that I'll ever hit 6-8 reps in a set of 95%...

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Walrus Freud wrote:
Barkadion wrote: I find that testing withing the block is very helpful. It can be humbling experience, though..

IMHO.
Thanks! Just to clarify: you're using a training max (90%? 80%?), right? Please say yes :D Because there's no way in h-ll that I'll ever hit 6-8 reps in a set of 95%...
I use TM only. I would go for forced progression when I am on final block with using 90% TM only..

Walrus Freud

Post by Walrus Freud »

Thanks for clarifying!