Base Building is amazing

MxS/SE/HIC/E
WallBilly

Base Building is amazing

Post by WallBilly »

I just finished my long E in week 2 of traditional base building, jogged for an hour. I had to run 40 seconds per mile faster than 2 weeks ago to keep the same HR!

It's not like I was in crap shape. I played hockey 2-3 times a week for the last 7 months and was pretty reliable at Fighter. The HIC did lag because of the hockey and the 3 feet of snow on the ground, and I didn't do too much running. I always do BB this time of the year to get back into Op or Zulu Black.

Good stuff.

DocOctagon

Re: Base Building is amazing

Post by DocOctagon »

WallBilly wrote:I just finished my long E in week 2 of traditional base building, jogged for an hour. I had to run 40 seconds per mile faster than 2 weeks ago to keep the same HR!

It's not like I was in crap shape. I played hockey 2-3 times a week for the last 7 months and was pretty reliable at Fighter. The HIC did lag because of the hockey and the 3 feet of snow on the ground, and I didn't do too much running. I always do BB this time of the year to get back into Op or Zulu Black.

Good stuff.
It is great isn't it? That's a significant improvement for just two weeks, and a sign of good health.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

Did anybody try the BB from Ageless Athlete and could compare it to the normal TB BB?

I am currently thinking about doing only 3x30min E every week to stay fresh and be able to do some kb-Swings, GU's and Mobility on these days.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Week 3, my jog yesterday (at equivalent HR) was 2 and a half minutes/mile faster than 3 weeks ago!

The long, slow E and SE work magic together.

Hellequin, I see no one else has chipped in on your question. As this is my 4th annual round of Base Building, I think I can say the following:

The "base" that is built in in this plan is the endurance cardio and heart health that benefits from long, slow endurance activities like jogging, biking, swimming, etc. KB talks about it at length in the books. He wants you to not go fast in this phase. As long as you are doing 3X/week of actual E, I don't think it matters too much what you do on the side. Barkadion has a thread a while back where he really enjoyed an MS-focussed traditional BB. Instead of SE, he basically did Fighter with heavy weights, along with the E. Like I said above, I think the SE complements the E and gives me very fast progress, but that's just me.

If you want to TGU or Swing or whatever for your strength work, have at it.

But this is base building, not Turkish Get Upping. In my view, the most important part of it is the first 5 weeks, which is all E, and something else of your choice. I think I am actually going to skip the last 3 weeks this time and go right to Op/Black/Pro, which isn't really all that different from the last 3 weeks of BB.

It's only 5 weeks, so if you have energy left, I'd suggest going longer on the E instead of adding a smorgasbord of other stuff. You can add that stuff in your continuation protocol.

$0.02.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:Barkadion has a thread a while back where he really enjoyed an MS-focussed traditional BB.
Yes I did ;)

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=838
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Bark, I looked more carefully at your "strength first" BB and I really like it. My bad, it wasn't Fighter for the MS. More lifting. This is a nice example of taking TB principles and customizing them for individual goals.
It does look pretty "Green", as in green continuation protocol. I could see giving this a try.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:Bark, I looked more carefully at your "strength first" BB and I really like it. My bad, it wasn't Fighter for the MS. More lifting. This is a nice example of taking TB principles and customizing them for individual goals.
It does look pretty "Green", as in green continuation protocol. I could see giving this a try.
Thanks WB. It was based on KB advise from this thread:

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=544

I didn't follow it to a t to be honest. Meaning I didn't stick to 30 min runs. I get into cardio junkie mode very easily when it comes to LSS and I always try to abuse it. But still it was an awesome experience. I will do it again with lot of fun. I will try to stick to min E timing next time around.

Also, I would guess that you can treat it as modified Black continuation and still run classic BB same year. You can even use different lifts for just this one block. My dream is to run it with unilateral movements. I might be wrong, though..

Cheers.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

I just learned a lot about the flexibility of TB. I am still excited about those 3x30min E sessions. They need so less time and effort and I looking forward to the results.

@WallBilly: Thank you for your response. Maybe I just wanted too much out of my sessions. I am not used to this kind of training and I have the illness to always do too much instead of calm down and trust the program.

As I am enjoying those E sessions at the moment, I think I am going to keep them also in week 5-8. My HIC will be my martial arts training once a week or maximal one more HIC session. So my BB looks like this:

Week 1-4 as written, but only 3x30min E.
Week 5-8 fighter (as written) and 3x30min E or 2x30 E and 1xHIC.

The other options showed in the threads linked above are saved for the next BB I will do in fall/winter.

Thanks to everyone for the huge help received in this forum and for the interesting discussion. I am still learning and I enjoy my TB-travel.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Hellequin wrote:I am still learning and I enjoy my TB-travel.
As many of us, mate. It’s a lifetime journey.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

WallBilly wrote: I think the SE complements the E and gives me very fast progress, but that's just me.
Bang on. Both domains are endurance based - they're both pulling in the same direction so to speak....whereas MS and E both kinda try to do opposite things to the body. Not to say you can't combine them - it just makes the progress a little less linear.

Great work Wallbilly!