Base Building is amazing

MxS/SE/HIC/E
WallBilly

Re: Base Building is amazing

Post by WallBilly »

KB, thanks for the response, and it's good to see you back here.

A question about base building:
Assuming one is following a TB protocol or doing something equivalent, and is not in crap shape, is my suggestion that the first 5 weeks of traditional base building suffices a good move? Later versions of the books introduced alpha and bravo and blah blah blah, but I have been through traditional base building 4 times, and I have come to believe that if the starting point is good (TB good) then all you need is the first 5 weeks of base, and then back on to continuation. The last 3 weeks of base are not that different from fighter/op black pro.

I have been wrong in the past (More than once) so please correct me if needed!

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: Base Building is amazing

Post by K.B. »

WallBilly wrote:KB, thanks for the response, and it's good to see you back here.

A question about base building:
Assuming one is following a TB protocol or doing something equivalent, and is not in crap shape, is my suggestion that the first 5 weeks of traditional base building suffices a good move? Later versions of the books introduced alpha and bravo and blah blah blah, but I have been through traditional base building 4 times, and I have come to believe that if the starting point is good (TB good) then all you need is the first 5 weeks of base, and then back on to continuation. The last 3 weeks of base are not that different from fighter/op black pro.

I have been wrong in the past (More than once) so please correct me if needed!
Thanks Walt, I'm in the middle of a TB project so trying to stay off the boards until it's done - I get distracted much too easily otherwise!

If I understand your question correctly you're asking if you can just do the E portion/first 4-5 weeks and then move right into Continuation? The reasoning behind the last few weeks of BB is based on maximal-strength. When you run SE-first you lose a little bit of strength - but it takes very little time to rebound and get back to your original baseline. That final 2-3 weeks of MS training is designed to bring you back to that baseline so you don't waste time unnecessarily on weights that are too light - especially if you're running 6 week Continuation blocks.

There is no problem with going straight into Continuation - but if you do I'd recommend running a short 3 week block first - and then test at the end of it. That way you get rid of any lag due to MS loss during Base, and have a more accurate starting point.