Scattered schedule approach and programming

MxS/SE/HIC/E
WallBilly

Re: Scattered schedule approach and programming

Post by WallBilly »

Bark,

I have been in situations like this from time to time. It is tough to try to get in "blocks" or even segments of blocks on those kinds of schedules.

What I have done is aim for "maintenance", or just trying to not lose too much strength. Gaining strength is out of the question.

So when I actually can get to a gym, be it 1 day here or there, or even 3 days in a week after a week or 2 off, I just pick X% of a safe TM and use that weight every time. 3 sets of 5. For me, X is usually around 75 or 80% of my training max.

Seems to work OK, and I have not had too much trouble getting back into some standard protocol and shape when the regular schedule comes back into possibility.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:Bark,

I have been in situations like this from time to time. It is tough to try to get in "blocks" or even segments of blocks on those kinds of schedules.

What I have done is aim for "maintenance", or just trying to not lose too much strength. Gaining strength is out of the question.

So when I actually can get to a gym, be it 1 day here or there, or even 3 days in a week after a week or 2 off, I just pick X% of a safe TM and use that weight every time. 3 sets of 5. For me, X is usually around 75 or 80% of my training max.

Seems to work OK, and I have not had too much trouble getting back into some standard protocol and shape when the regular schedule comes back into possibility.
Great points, WB. Thank you. I tend to agree with you on all accounts..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Sometimes I think we get all wrapped up in the max weight weeks and don't remember that 3 sets of 5 at 80% is not really that easy and does the body a lot of good.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:Sometimes I think we get all wrapped up in the max weight weeks and don't remember that 3 sets of 5 at 80% is not really that easy and does the body a lot of good.
True.

travman

Post by travman »

I've been trying to rack my brain over this the last few days. I keep coming back to two things. One, shorter blocks, two bodyweight movements if you can't bring a KB.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

travman wrote:I've been trying to rack my brain over this the last few days. I keep coming back to two things. One, shorter blocks, two bodyweight movements if you can't bring a KB.
How would you approach shorter blocks?

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Bark, if you had two weeks, you could run Op I/A percentages with a TM, just spend two days at each weight. Or just do the first two weeks. If the weights seem too easy you could just do more sets if you have time. I think WB pretty much nailed it.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Bark, if you had two weeks, you could run Op I/A percentages with a TM, just spend two days at each weight. Or just do the first two weeks. If the weights seem too easy you could just do more sets if you have time. I think WB pretty much nailed it.
Thank you! This is what will do most-likely.

travman

Post by travman »

TBPenguin wrote:Bark, if you had two weeks, you could run Op I/A percentages with a TM, just spend two days at each weight. Or just do the first two weeks. If the weights seem too easy you could just do more sets if you have time. I think WB pretty much nailed it.
I would run it like TBP and I agree with WB.

Stay focused on consistency. Life happens, deal with the pressing issues then adjust your training slightly.

Oh and think in terms of years not months!

I hope all is well man!

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Bark, no idea what you did, but I did something that didn't work and thought of your situation. Work stuff set me up for four week blocks and a one week deload. Could do two two week blocks back to back, or one four week bloc, but I didn't see a way to do a three week block/one week deload pattern. What I tried was to stretch out the Op IA by doubling the third week, since that week has a cap on sets and isn't that brutal. So went 75-80-85-90. At least for me that did not work, I think it would have been better to go 75-85-80-90 or to do the shorter two week blocks.