Scattered schedule approach and programming

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Scattered schedule approach and programming

Post by Barkadion »

I am looking for 2-3 months of scattered schedule due to some personal reasons. Mid June to mid September is going to bring few travels that will interrupt my regular training. It will not be able to train while I travel due to the nature of it. And I won't be able to have completed blocks that time.

So, my question is how you guys deal with similar situations?

Let's say I am going to have periods like 1-2 weeks of training following by 1-1.5 weeks of non-training for a 3 months.

Would that make sense to do -

- First 1-2 weeks of standard TB block for a few times over that period?
OR
- Some random training for that time?

Here is my plan for now if I get lucky with my schedule and ability to train

1. Finishing current OP I/A block by middle of June.
2. Travel for about 1-1.5 week.
3. Getting into BB mid June to mid August. I should be able to complete about 7 weeks, so it will be a little short.
4. Travel for about 1-2 weeks.
5. Some scattered training/traveling mid August to mid September.
6. Regular continuation staring late September or October.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Re: Scattered schedule approach and programming

Post by TBPenguin »

Bark, not sure that you need to give up training for those breaks. During those 1-2 week breaks do bodyweight SE. Maybe get some Lifeline cables and take them with you - it is really possible to do some fairly hard upper body stuff with them. I've taken them on long vacations, they don't take up much space. Sometimes find a playground to do chin-ups. For lower body, rear foot elevated split squats and one leg DLs done for reps are killer.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Bark, not sure that you need to give up training for those breaks. During those 1-2 week breaks do bodyweight SE. Maybe get some Lifeline cables and take them with you - it is really possible to do some fairly hard upper body stuff with them. I've taken them on long vacations, they don't take up much space. Sometimes find a playground to do chin-ups. For lower body, rear foot elevated split squats and one leg DLs done for reps are killer.
Thanks, TBP. It still will be "random training"..

Do you think it makes sense to do 1-2 weeks of regular blocks while I can or just do random training for a couple of months?

Lycan

Post by Lycan »

I had a client with similar problem movie business.

Here is what worked for him - he did program, just more focused on some things push ups and jumps and shadowboxing/heavy bag.
When he was unable to do training, he walked or cycled as often as he could. Important is not to eat junk or drink alcohol. Look it more like a resting phase, then to bum yourself.
Later retest to see where are you and start regularly.

No chance of BW in those off periods? Or E?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Lycan wrote:I had a client with similar problem movie business.

Here is what worked for him - he did program, just more focused on some things push ups and jumps and shadowboxing/heavy bag.
When he was unable to do training, he walked or cycled as often as he could. Important is not to eat junk or drink alcohol. Look it more like a resting phase, then to bum yourself.
Later retest to see where are you and start regularly.

No chance of BW in those off periods? Or E?
Thank you, Lycan. All makes sense and yes, I will try to squeeze some conditioning while traveling. If possible, indeed.

The question is more about how to approach short periods when I am able to train but I am not able to complete the block.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Another thought.

It might make sense to squeeze TB OP I/A block into 2 weeks without conditioning and then to do some conditioning while traveling.

Something like:
M - OP 75%
W - OP 80%
F - OP 80%
M - OP 85%
W - OP 90%
F - OP 90%

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I travel a lot for work, sometimes up to a week. This really disturbs my training. Here is a routine that worked quite well to keep my body awake and didnt take much time:

- Bodyweight squats mixed with prisoner squats. 4 sets of 30. Every 10 reps or so remain at the bottom position and move around to improve mobility.

- 1-legged deadlift with my luggage + water bottles inside. Very slow motion and controlled. 4 sets of 5-8.

- Push ups, 4 sets. Reps: I did as many until they slowed down.

I did this every day with an occassional day off. I wasnt hulk when I returned home, but it kept my body moving. I was doing S&S at that time by the way.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Oscar wrote:I travel a lot for work, sometimes up to a week. This really disturbs my training. Here is a routine that worked quite well to keep my body awake and didnt take much time:

- Bodyweight squats mixed with prisoner squats. 4 sets of 30. Every 10 reps or so remain at the bottom position and move around to improve mobility.

- 1-legged deadlift with my luggage + water bottles inside. Very slow motion and controlled. 4 sets of 5-8.

I did this every day with an occassional day off. I wasnt hulk when I returned home, but it kept my body moving. I was doing S&S at that time by the way.
Thank you. How does that affect your programming for the regular blocks?

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Barkadion wrote:
Oscar wrote:I travel a lot for work, sometimes up to a week. This really disturbs my training. Here is a routine that worked quite well to keep my body awake and didnt take much time:

I was doing Simple and Sinister, so it wasnt arranged in blocks. In your case, I think you can repeat the previous week when you return to barbell and resume from there. That´s what I usually do when barbell training and I´m forced to miss a week.

The travel routine I´m suggesting is not a replacement for barbell training, you wont get very strong from it. But I think it does prevent from losing ground. And you might improve your mobility thanks to the bodyweight squats and single leg deadlifts.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Oscar wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

I was doing Simple and Sinister, so it wasnt arranged in blocks. In your case, I think you can repeat the previous week when you return to barbell and resume from there. That´s what I usually do when barbell training and I´m forced to miss a week.

The travel routine I´m suggesting is not a replacement for barbell training, you wont get very strong from it. But I think it does prevent from losing ground. And you might improve your mobility thanks to the bodyweight squats and single leg deadlifts.
Thank you.