Elbow pain doing chin ups

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Ibrahimovic105

Elbow pain doing chin ups

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

So lately I decided that it was about goddamn time I did atleast one of that bastardised pull up and thus \past two weeks Ive been just practising just hanging on the pull up bar attached at my home and my grip strength shot up...where I used to lose my grip under 15 sec , now I could held on the bar for 1min 45sec....So I decided to do negative chin ups and was surprsied that i could lower myself under control where previously i used to drop down like an old heavy sack.....The first day I frequently did this through out the day and my lats were hammered sore...but two days later(today) when i tried again i had an excruciating elbow pain (which i previously used to have when i attempted negative pull ups at the gym)...I dont know what i am doing wrong...My weight is 83kg height is 178 cm...Should i lose my weight?...should i hang more? ...any other exercises that i need to do?

any suggestions and advice would be appreciated...Thank you.

Barkadion

Re: Elbow pain doing chin ups

Post by Barkadion »

Everybody is different and it is difficult to give an advice when it comes to injury or pain with particular exercises.

But I can share my experience.

All my pain related issues were resolved when I switched to using fat grip multi angled pull up bar. My best experience is with either \/ grip chins or parallel grip pull ups. Or just using rings or TRX.

Another trick is to grip the bar as hard as you trying to “bend” it. Same cue that applies to the bench press.

If that doesn’t help... stick with inverted rows for a while.

That’s my 2c..

Good luck.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

Barkadion wrote:Everybody is different and it is difficult to give an advice when it comes to injury or pain with particular exercises.

But I can share my experience.

All my pain related issues were resolved when I switched to using fat grip multi angled pull up bar. My best experience is with either \/ grip chins or parallel grip pull ups. Or just using rings or TRX.

Another trick is to grip the bar as hard as you trying to “bend” it. Same cue that applies to the bench press.

If that doesn’t help... stick with inverted rows for a while.

That’s my 2c..

Good luck.
actually the pain occured when i hastily attempted to try to do a full chin up(showing off to someone) and did it (my elbows cursed me bad after that :P)...moral of the story is 1) Learn to say no to others and 'shut the fuck up' to your ego and 2)Never ever show off(bad things happen)....Probably gonna rest and ice the elbows for a week and then again start hanging and doing the negative part....Thanks for the advice Bark...definitley gonna consider it

spemma

Post by spemma »

Is the pain localized to the joint? Or is it on the inner or outer part of the elbow?

The latter would be golfers or tennis elbow.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

spemma wrote:Is the pain localized to the joint? Or is it on the inner or outer part of the elbow?

The latter would be golfers or tennis elbow.
It is to the inner part on the left hand and it always pains in that area...if i press the region around inner elbow it pains....but generally it feels my whole elbow is paining.What is ur suggestion if pain is in either of those parts?

spemma

Post by spemma »

Rest is your best bet, but if it persists, look up a theraband and YouTube the “reverse Tyler twist”.

Sounds like golfers elbow.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

spemma wrote:Rest is your best bet, but if it persists, look up a theraband and YouTube the “reverse Tyler twist”.

Sounds like golfers elbow.
Thank you very much

rs12

Post by rs12 »

My elbows used to hurt all the time, especially after doing pull ups. I stopped doing pull ups and eventually even stopped deadlifting and pretty much all pulling exercises because of the pain.

I did some research and eventually decided to try the Expand Your Hand bands from Ironmind. They are just rubber bands of different strengths that you slip over your fingers and try to open your hand against. They train the extensor muscles in your forearm and wrist.

They seem stupid but my elbow pain is 99% gone. I am deadlifting and rowing again. I still don't do pull ups but that's because of shoulder pain now instead of elbow pain. The bands are like $12 on Amazon or you can just go buy a bunch of different rubber bands from a store.

Give them a shot for a few months and see what happens. I started off with the weakest band for 3 sets of 12 every day and worked my way up to the strongest and it has been a huge help to me.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

rs12 wrote:My elbows used to hurt all the time, especially after doing pull ups. I stopped doing pull ups and eventually even stopped deadlifting and pretty much all pulling exercises because of the pain.

I did some research and eventually decided to try the Expand Your Hand bands from Ironmind. They are just rubber bands of different strengths that you slip over your fingers and try to open your hand against. They train the extensor muscles in your forearm and wrist.

They seem stupid but my elbow pain is 99% gone. I am deadlifting and rowing again. I still don't do pull ups but that's because of shoulder pain now instead of elbow pain. The bands are like $12 on Amazon or you can just go buy a bunch of different rubber bands from a store.

Give them a shot for a few months and see what happens. I started off with the weakest band for 3 sets of 12 every day and worked my way up to the strongest and it has been a huge help to me.
alright definitely will check them out if they are available in my country...Thanks for the suggestion rs12