Using the time between sets

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Hellequin

Using the time between sets

Post by Hellequin »

Hello there!

I started with the TM-Tests / 1RM-Tests for my lifts and I always waited for a minimum of 2 minutes between sets (golden rule).
If I for example will do 5x5 Squat / 5x5 Bench / 5x5 WPUs this will need a lot of time (with warmup, changing weights etc.).

How do you use this time? Between my TM-Test sets I did some mobility for the opposite body parts.

Thanks for your comments!

StayGrey

Re: Using the time between sets

Post by StayGrey »

Hellequin wrote:Hello there!

I started with the TM-Tests / 1RM-Tests for my lifts and I always waited for a minimum of 2 minutes between sets (golden rule).
If I for example will do 5x5 Squat / 5x5 Bench / 5x5 WPUs this will need a lot of time (with warmup, changing weights etc.).

How do you use this time? Between my TM-Test sets I did some mobility for the opposite body parts.

Stretch a little or do nothing. The idea is to recover to the fullest extent possible and stay fresh...doing any kind of work opposes this principle. If the workouts are getting too long, bump down to 3 or 4 sets. I usually do 4 sets of Op and I'm out of the gym in an hour or less. With TB I find I don't need a lot of warm up sets, especially during weeks 1&2. Week 3 I might do a little extra.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

Thanks StayGrey!

Maybe sizing the sets down would be the solution for me.
I did 5/3/1 for quiet a time and always used the time between sets for dips/chips/ab-wheel/goblet squats, etc. etc. - so I am not used to wait for 2-5mins. I had my first Fighter-Training today (still in BB right now) and I did 3x5/5x5/5x5/100KB Swings and had about 75 mins including warm ups - thats okey for me.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I take a book and read. That may not be your thing, but it works for me. I finish my set, mark it as done on my phone, start the 2-minute timer, and read until it goes off.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

Hellequin wrote:Hello there!

Use this time to do nothing but just focus on performing the next set...visualize every movement of the exercise in your mind and see yourself executing it successfully... Just stare at one point far into the oblivion practising your mental game until you hear the timer or someone slaps you off your fugue state or the gym closes off leaving you in the dark room of the iron still trapped in eternity....Hope this helps

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Take a slow walk to the water fountain that is furthest away from your rack, and enjoy the "scenery" along the way! :twisted:

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

WallBilly wrote:Take a slow walk to the water fountain that is furthest away from your rack, and enjoy the "scenery" along the way! :twisted:
:lol:

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I mostly just stand around the same area and focus on my breathing until my next set. I'd rather save all my effort for the work ahead in my personal opinion.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I usually dive into the music in my headset. Gets my recovery to the next level :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Adski

Post by Adski »

Sleep like Chuck Norris.......and wait....