LSS modalities

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Mike D

Re: LSS modalities

Post by Mike D »

Barkadion wrote:Just adding my dos pesos by saying that BB has changed about everything that I thought I know about training.. Biggest surprise was that I can run. My ability to run increased dramatically during my first BB couple of years ago. I have jumped from “running” with painfully slow 30 min to comfortable 90 min jog within same BB. That was amazing. Also, I was coming of long nasty injury recovery. Continuation was a blessing on top of that.

You will surprise yourself. Promise. Good luck!
Thank you sir !!! I really look forward to the time when I can say the same.
Thanks
Mike

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Mike D wrote:I just started my base building trying to follow the book as written. Today was my second LSS day and finally got outside to try the LSS run. It really ended up being a walk with some running mixed in. The question is that I have membership at a commercial gym, and the book stated that you can use other modalities other than a run, I assume to allow those with certain limitations to still get the work in. My limitation on the runs is that I suck at running I'm built like a hobbit, really need to loose some weight, one of my goals. I have access to a concept 2 rower and the other cardio paraphernalia at a commercial gym. The book states that that is ok, but my question is will that effect my end results. I'm a retired LEO, not an operator and my main goal is to become "HTK"/ hard to kill in the extreme sport of aging, I'm 57 now. I have read that on averages LEO's in general die within 5 years of retiring. So if I use the tower instead of running will I loose any benefit if BB other than not "greasing the groove" of runnng? In my weird way of rationalizing I would think that since I'm not a runner by trade it really shouldn't matter, but I figure should check with the more experienced for their input. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Just as a heads up there is nothing wrong with run/walking. The goal is to keep your heart rate at the required level and slowly build up the ability to run.

I am not old but carry a few injuries from the Military and I am now an active LEO. I really notice if I don't keep a base of lss running in my training. My recovery and mood drops. One way to approach it if the running is giving grief is to do an indoor LSS session every 3rd one. This will give the joints a break andgive you an option when the weather doesn't go your way.

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Maxrip 13 thank you for your input, I think I may have to do that for a bit of recovery, if I get to the point of needing a bit more recovery than is programmed in.

travman

Post by travman »

Hey Mike D, I am not old, but I started TB from an off the couch approach. I did the walk/run or just ran slow enough to keep it in range. You can do it man. It's humbling for sure, but the progress is worth it!

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

travman wrote:Hey Mike D, I am not old, but I started TB from an off the couch approach. I did the walk/run or just ran slow enough to keep it in range. You can do it man. It's humbling for sure, but the progress is worth it!
Thanks Travman for your input, that is the route that I am going to take, today was another LSS day and I just did that slow but sure, walk/run and staying with in the required time. Trying to monitor and use my HR as a guide but all I have right now is an old Fitbit and is really a pain trying to monitor with it in the fire I plan on getting one of the Polar HR monitors but cash flow is low so it will have to wait. Right now I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I have.
Thanks
Mike

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

In place of a HR monitor (sometimes i forget) - its crazy but I do one of the following:
1) run and recite one of the few poems i know under my breath. If u can recite it, u are in the right HR zone
2) only breathe thru the nose. If u need to use mouth breathing, your HR is too high.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

godjira1 wrote:In place of a HR monitor (sometimes i forget) - its crazy but I do one of the following:
1) run and recite one of the few poems i know under my breath. If u can recite it, u are in the right HR zone
2) only breathe thru the nose. If u need to use mouth breathing, your HR is too high.
Some people pray and/or meditate during LSS. I’m serious here.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

godjira1 wrote:In place of a HR monitor (sometimes i forget) - its crazy but I do one of the following:
Thank you sir! I've never heard of using nose breathing as a way to guesstimate heart rate. The poem idea sounds good but I don't know any, so I will try the nose breathing idea. I am a natural mouth breather so it will take some work.
Thanks
Mike

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

#2, when checked against pulse, is pretty close.

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Mike D wrote:
Thank you sir! I've never heard of using nose breathing as a way to guesstimate heart rate. The poem idea sounds good but I don't know any, so I will try the nose breathing idea. I am a natural mouth breather so it will take some work.
Thanks
Mike
I only know one, and so use it. It's an easy one, should you find yourself in need!

Eldorado
BY EDGAR ALLAN POE

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old—
This knight so bold—
And o’er his heart a shadow—
Fell as he found