Variety in HIC

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Hellequin

Variety in HIC

Post by Hellequin »

Hey guys, how do your plan and use variety in HIC training.

I started to rotate between Fobbit intervals (bad weather, inside) and Apex hills (doing rather Apex steps in a stadium, due to injury and not be able to sprint now). Do you plan those trainings or just pick one from the vault in the book randomly?

Can you do all the conditioning with just 2-3 HIC-'training protocols' or is there variety needed?

I just read the article about Apex from JMad and I liked the idea about getting very good in Apex hills and do them 1-2 times every week.

Thank you.

eXpo

Re: Variety in HIC

Post by eXpo »

I plan them depending on my goals. As far as I know you can stick with the same 2-3 exercises for the rest of your life if you wanted too. It depends if you want to master a particular exercise? Do you need it for your job or sport? I do try to include one from HIC 1-10 and one from HIC 11-25

You could always pick 1-2 exercises, work your way up until you hit advanced levels and then rotate it out for different ones and work your way up again. It's up to you!

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Hellequin wrote:Hey guys, how do your plan and use variety in HIC training.

I started to rotate between Fobbit intervals (bad weather, inside) and Apex hills (doing rather Apex steps in a stadium, due to injury and not be able to sprint now). Do you plan those trainings or just pick one from the vault in the book randomly?

Can you do all the conditioning with just 2-3 HIC-'training protocols' or is there variety needed?

I just read the article about Apex from JMad and I liked the idea about getting very good in Apex hills and do them 1-2 times every week.

Thank you.
Have a look at Chapter 12 "Conditioning Progression" in TB2. Have you considered any of those methods?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

You can plug away at the exact same sessions day in day and make small changes to progress.
You can also change your sessions up regularly to mix things up.

The main thing to remember is the idea is to improve your fitness not get the best at specific workouts.
That is what crossfit is good for.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
Hellequin wrote:Hey guys, how do your plan and use variety in HIC training.

Thank you.
Have a look at Chapter 12 "Conditioning Progression" in TB2. Have you considered any of those methods?
All right, I just reread it and it all cleared up! I read it before but maybe I was too fast and didn't have enough concentration back then.

I am going to continue with Fobbit&Apex. I will mix it up with a third random training to still enjoy some fun and have an unpredictability in my trainingsessions.

On busy weeks I plan to do HIC right after MS. Anyone doing this too?

Thanks to all.

Walrus Freud

Post by Walrus Freud »

Hellequin wrote: On busy weeks I plan to do HIC right after MS. Anyone doing this too?
I do that (almost) all the time. Two of my MS sessions include only two lifts (DL/OHP). I rerack the weights and move directly to either power intervals or a homemade kettlebell and sledgehammer HIC. It works OK, since I'm keeping the HICs fairly short, but I'm not sure I could manage it if I for example were to go for the advanced version of the power intervals. So that's a bit of a tradeoff. On the upside, my shoulders seem to feel a lot better when I do turkish get-ups after OHP. I believe turkish get-ups and deadlifts are the cure for everything... ;)
"Some days you shine, most days you grind" (from a friend, who probably stole it from someone else :) )

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

I'm going to start adding some SWIM HIC's I believe either fortnightly, or on my 3/6 weeks where percentages are high.

The goal is to keep my skills in the pool, and not let them deteriorate. Thought process is a swim HIC will have less wear and tear during heavy squat weeks than say…..hill or sled sprints.

Thinking 5x100m freestyle at fast pace
10x50 all out freestyle with plenty rest between
and ending with 250m of under waters- 25 at a time just to train the lungs.

has anyone experimented with water based HICs? I've read plenty of folks using the pool for E sessions but never HICs

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

alottadav wrote:I'm going to start adding some SWIM HIC's I believe either fortnightly, or on my 3/6 weeks where percentages are high.

The goal is to keep my skills in the pool, and not let them deteriorate. Thought process is a swim HIC will have less wear and tear during heavy squat weeks than say…..hill or sled sprints.

Thinking 5x100m freestyle at fast pace
10x50 all out freestyle with plenty rest between
and ending with 250m of under waters- 25 at a time just to train the lungs.

has anyone experimented with water based HICs? I've read plenty of folks using the pool for E sessions but never HICs

The reason I never have done water based HIC is I don’t need to swim faster just longer. For technique work long based sessions would also be better.

In the army days we did what would be considered HICs in the pool quite a bit. I worked in Darwin, Australia so it was summer all year round.

We did lots of sessions involving hard laps racing and paired them with body weight exercises. I don’t think they did much fitness wise but I got very comfortable being exhausted in the water. On a course we had some SF guys run a pool confidence team session involving treading water and moving with weights and medicine balls both through and under water.

I was looking at using a moderate swim for distance to work on my swim fitness. I was looking at a similiar session to yours and doing it after my lifting. Give it a crack and let me know how it goes haha.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

well I tried it last night-

the 10x50 free sprint, is a smoker lol. Been a while since I've done that. Used 90 seconds rest between each to try and get good recovery.
Definitely going to continue using this in some fashion.

body felt good today, 95% lifts all went up much smoother than they did on MON. It could be a good way to mix things up, lessen beat down a little bit and use some different muscles. Rds 7-10 my arms were DEAD the last 15m or so of each sprint.