TB For Selection Prep

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Josephwales

TB For Selection Prep

Post by Josephwales »

Thought I would share this over here, and let you guys pick it apart if necessary.

Some thoughts I had on using TB for Selection Prep, as posted on r/tacticalbarbell:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalbarbel ... tion_prep/

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: TB For Selection Prep

Post by K.B. »

Josephwales wrote:Thought I would share this over here, and let you guys pick it apart if necessary.

Some thoughts I had on using TB for Selection Prep, as posted on r/tacticalbarbell:

TBers, extremely valuable post here by someone in the SO community. There is a LOT of hard earned experience/knowledge behind it. I strongly recommend you save it if you have any military/tactical LE aspirations at all. Or OCRs/adventure racing, mountaineering etc.

Thanks for the thread JoseyWales - will be putting it up as a sticky for a while.

KB

Josephwales

Post by Josephwales »

Hell naw don't thank me, thanks for the program KB. You gave me the tools to succeed in my career field.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Josephwales wrote:Thought I would share this over here, and let you guys pick it apart if necessary.

Great post.

Only question is why not moderately load the push ups like the pull-ups?

I personally don’t do well with high rep push ups. I am better off with sets of 20 or so and doing harder variations or adding load.

Push ups are a selection staple and definitely need to be included. I just wonder whether sticking around the 20-30 rep range might be better than multiple sets pushing towards the hundred mark.

Definitely loved your inclusion of intervals. I think it is often missed.

Josephwales

Post by Josephwales »

You absolutely could, I Just find that multiple high-rep sets for me makes the 2 minutes of push-ups on the APFT feel easier and better.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Josephwales wrote:You absolutely could, I Just find that multiple high-rep sets for me makes the 2 minutes of push-ups on the APFT feel easier and better.
Too easy mate. What sort of numbers are you usually doing?
I usually sit at 60 without doing any specific training and it goes up to 80 or so pretty easily with some specific practice.
That is just one all out set though. No way I could hit multiple sets of 50 plus in a single session regularly.

I shattered my wrist a few years ago (falling off a truck at work) and that limits me more than anything these days.

Josephwales

Post by Josephwales »

I'd probably be in the 85 range for 2 minutes. I've never not maxed push-ups except maybe my first year in the Army.

I think the SE block will surprise you, getting into the 3 x 50 rep range.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Josephwales wrote:I'd probably be in the 85 range for 2 minutes. I've never not maxed push-ups except maybe my first year in the Army.

I think the SE block will surprise you, getting into the 3 x 50 rep range.
So you would be in the 50-70 range for most sets? I wish I could still punch those numbers out.
3x50 for base building is harder than the old smash sessions doing 500+ reps from back in the army PT days.
Sadly it needs to be done though.

I think the post was great by the way. I just wanted to get some discussion going :D
High volume push ups will definitely improve your high volume push ups. These will always be a selection staple.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Just my own .02, for the Australian lads going for selection, stick to the programs that are already created for both east and west.

The only adjustments that should be made is, for example, if you are exceeding in all areas, but the 3.2km is a sticking point, you could potentially cut back on the pack marching to improve the run. In other words, a tune up to the program can be made if required, not an entire overhaul.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Adski wrote:Just my own .02, for the Australian lads going for selection, stick to the programs that are already created for both east and west.

The only adjustments that should be made is, for example, if you are exceeding in all areas, but the 3.2km is a sticking point, you could potentially cut back on the pack marching to improve the run. In other words, a tune up to the program can be made if required, not an entire overhaul.
Military athlete has an excellent pace calculator for dropping run times. Their run splits had me running 1.6km intervals at a competitive pace in a 20kg vest a few years ago. The strength programming is a bit high volume for me to do plus BJJ, but they are on point with the conditioning.