TB For Selection Prep

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Adski

Re: TB For Selection Prep

Post by Adski »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Adski wrote:Just my own .02, for the Australian lads going for selection, stick to the programs that are already created for both east and west.

The only adjustments that should be made is, for example, if you are exceeding in all areas, but the 3.2km is a sticking point, you could potentially cut back on the pack marching to improve the run. In other words, a tune up to the program can be made if required, not an entire overhaul.
Military athlete has an excellent pace calculator for dropping run times. Their run splits had me running 1.6km intervals at a competitive pace in a 20kg vest a few years ago. The strength programming is a bit high volume for me to do plus BJJ, but they are on point with the conditioning.
True. I would still simply say that, if you know you are going to struggle and say worse case scenario, you don’t pass, and you’re asked by the selection staff (of which a PTI will be present generally) “did you follow the program?” And the answer is no, it’s not going to be a good look. There’s a lot of “it depends” too. Making any adjustment depends on your own knowledge, what and who you have access too. The only time I’ve ever adjusted someone’s sf program is when they are killing it in all areas except maybe one, and I know the people too, as far too many I have come across that are willing to attempt to throw someone under the bus and pass blame when in reality it was the lack of effort by a given individual.

Josephwales

Post by Josephwales »

Hey fellas (and ladies now too),

A guy posted recently on r/tacticalbarbell that he used this program to successfully complete SFAS, along with his recommended tweaks. Check it out

C.B.

Post by C.B. »

Would this Selection prep guidance apply to HRT Selection?

hardboiled

Post by hardboiled »

Piggy backing off this thread but apparently K. Black is working on a green protocol that is tailored for SOF / SWAT selection.

Any idea when said program might be out?

PHoP

Post by PHoP »

hardboiled wrote:Piggy backing off this thread but apparently K. Black is working on a green protocol that is tailored for SOF / SWAT selection.

Any idea when said program might be out?
Wondering the same thing. A couple weeks ago there was a Reddit post about it and K just said he expected it to be released around the end of the year/beginning of 2021.

Georgeh

Post by Georgeh »

Josephwales wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 pm Thought I would share this over here, and let you guys pick it apart if necessary.

Some thoughts I had on using TB for Selection Prep, as posted on r/tacticalbarbell:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalbarbel ... tion_prep/
For the rucks would you use a HR monitor? Issue I'm finding issues as training for a UK selection that involves alot of rucking up steep hills as a relatively decent pace what sends my HR over 150bpm. Would focusing on HR for most of the ruck but not focusing to much on it on the big inclines work?

Thanks in advance
8 Years British Army (Infantry)

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Georgeh wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:04 pm
Josephwales wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 pm Thought I would share this over here, and let you guys pick it apart if necessary.

Some thoughts I had on using TB for Selection Prep, as posted on r/tacticalbarbell:

For the rucks would you use a HR monitor? Issue I'm finding issues as training for a UK selection that involves alot of rucking up steep hills as a relatively decent pace what sends my HR over 150bpm. Would focusing on HR for most of the ruck but not focusing to much on it on the big inclines work?

Thanks in advance
HR doesn't need to be stuck to after base building in green etc. Occasionally you are going to go outside your HR to meet run and ruck times as needed. Base building is where you stick to the required HRs and continuation you can go outside those numbers. You would be an absolute monster if you could hit selection run/ruck times under 150 bpm.

Georgeh

Post by Georgeh »

Maxrip13 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:46 am
Georgeh wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:04 pm

Thanks in advance
HR doesn't need to be stuck to after base building in green etc. Occasionally you are going to go outside your HR to meet run and ruck times as needed. Base building is where you stick to the required HRs and continuation you can go outside those numbers. You would be an absolute monster if you could hit selection run/ruck times under 150 bpm.

Legend thanks mate.
8 Years British Army (Infantry)