Intro and SE questions

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Trip

Intro and SE questions

Post by Trip »

Greetings. 57 Y.O. Male engineer. 6'4" 210#. Pretty active - spent the last 2 months ~20 MPW slow with random BB exercises mixed in. Just read AA and TBII and they are just what I've been looking for - a sensible way to combine running and lifting.

I'm going to try a month or two of base running with 2 SE sessions per week.
My question - would weighted step ups be applicable to these SE sessions?

TIA
RIP

Maxrip13

Re: Intro and SE questions

Post by Maxrip13 »

They could be used as an SE exercise or an LSS indoor option.Can I ask exactly what you want to achieve with them ?

I have used weighted step ups in the past as a substitute for rucking as an in gym option or because of weather. I did them for anywhere between 400 -1000 reps with a 20kg weight vest. I also used them as part of a circuit with other exercises similar to the SE sessions in tactical barbell. The only problem is they were done for high reps or loaded as I said above.

As with anything it depends what your aim is and why you choose to do them.
50 step ups is easier than 50 squats, but you can manipulate load to make them comparable. I prefer lunges or squat variations since you are already running/rucking during the basebuild.

Trip

Post by Trip »

Thanks for the response Maxrip13.

I like to run trails and they are hilly if not mountainous in my area. My thinking was to include them in a SE circuit with swjngs, DB bench etc.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Trip wrote:Greetings. 57 Y.O. Male engineer. 6'4" 210#. Pretty active - spent the last 2 months ~20 MPW slow with random BB exercises mixed in. Just read AA and TBII and they are just what I've been looking for - a sensible way to combine running and lifting.

I'm going to try a month or two of base running with 2 SE sessions per week.
My question - would weighted step ups be applicable to these SE sessions?

TIA
RIP
Step-ups would probably be more in line with an indoor E session (provided you can get your BPM in range) as Maxrip pointed out. Personally I'd go with air squats for SE instead.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Trip wrote:Thanks for the response Maxrip13.

I like to run trails and they are hilly if not mountainous in my area. My thinking was to include them in a SE circuit with swjngs, DB bench etc.
If you are running hills already i wouldn’t use stepups as an SE exercise. You are already doing thousands of stepups in your run. Mix it up and go with a squat or lunge variation.

If you really want to do them though go for it mate. Its not wrong but i personally like to try and vary my exercises a bit. It helps prevent over use injuries and vary the training load a bit