Increasing pullup numbers

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Kanga

Increasing pullup numbers

Post by Kanga »

Hi all,

I'm a 23 year old male about 5'7, 169lbs. I've already completed a BB and have already been set on progressing towards OP+Black Pro then transitioning later to Fighter (Bangkok)+Green. Later down the track (roughly 6-7 months) i'm set on joining the Australian infantry. Thus, i would like to be a well prepared candidate before attempting. However, that is not the sole reason for this thread. The main problem is my pull up count.

At the moment, i cannot do 10 strict pulls. Yesterday, i tested my max and got 7 all together. Terrible i know. I searched this forum, google, tinder, and YouTube for ways to increase the count. I discovered programs like GTG 'grease the groove and the russian fighter pullup program' are effective ways for newbs/pt studs to increase their pullup numbers. Anyways, I've decided to try the Russian Fighter pull up program. Ultimately, my goal is to increase my pull up number to progress into WPU's. I'm aiming for about 15-20. Anyways this leads me to my questions and confusion.

QUESTIONS
1. How would i go about incorporating the fighter pull up program into Operator effectively?

The reason for the question is because the program does at least 5 days, rest&recover on the 6th then start again on the 7th. I feel very sceptical about this because it is adding a lot of SE work and most of my SE work will come from HIC and E-Fun Runs (man i love those) and finishers. I feel like it could affect my strength progress in a negative manner if i add too much on my plate.

2. If, there are betters ways of increasing my pull up reps than incorporating the 'GTTG or fighter pull up programs', what do you guys suggest/advice/recommend?

I'm open to suggestions and would like to hear from your ideas, perspectives and wisdom.

Thanks.

Ibrahimovic105

Re: Increasing pullup numbers

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

Kanga wrote:
http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=320

check this thread out brother "Pull up progression for the weak one"

ectional

Post by ectional »

I'm strongly in the fighter pull-up program at this point. Even though I couldn't finish it my pull-ups made a noticeable jump. I went from sets of 3-5 to sets of 7-9, I haven't tested my max yet. It will increase your numbers.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Honestly, if you can do 7 pull-ups you're better off incorporating them into Operator instead of using FPP. Use % of your total (7) as your 1RM and do 4-5 sets per Op session. Try it out for a block or two, retest and assess.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Kanga wrote:Hi all,

I'm a 23 year old male about 5'7, 169lbs. I've already completed a BB and have already been set on progressing towards OP+Black Pro then transitioning later to Fighter (Bangkok)+Green. Later down the track (roughly 6-7 months) i'm set on joining the Australian infantry. Thus, i would like to be a well prepared candidate before attempting. However, that is not the sole reason for this thread. The main problem is my pull up count.

unless things have changed pullups are not part of the Aus infantry fitness requirements? I can guarantee that half the people in the battalions are not doing them strict haha. If you can pass the basic recruit test they will train you up enough at singleton. You will lose most fitness at kapooka anyway.

At the moment, i cannot do 10 strict pulls. Yesterday, i tested my max and got 7 all together. Terrible i know. I searched this forum, google, tinder, and YouTube for ways to increase the count. I discovered programs like GTG 'grease the groove and the russian fighter pullup program' are effective ways for newbs/pt studs to increase their pullup numbers. Anyways, I've decided to try the Russian Fighter pull up program. Ultimately, my goal is to increase my pull up number to progress into WPU's. I'm aiming for about 15-20. Anyways this leads me to my questions and confusion.

QUESTIONS
1. How would i go about incorporating the fighter pull up program into Operator effectively?

Just do it 3 days a week on operator days. Start at 5 rep as your max. Trust me that its’s enough. Drop all other pullups from fun runs.

The reason for the question is because the program does at least 5 days, rest&recover on the 6th then start again on the 7th. I feel very sceptical about this because it is adding a lot of SE work and most of my SE work will come from HIC and E-Fun Runs (man i love those) and finishers. I feel like it could affect my strength progress in a negative manner if i add too much on my plate.

2. If, there are betters ways of increasing my pull up reps than incorporating the 'GTTG or fighter pull up programs', what do you guys suggest/advice/recommend?

Both will work fine. What is your pullup training background? Depending on how long you have trained will depend on how you should approach this. Couple of weeks then just do regular operator sets. A couple of years then look at fighter pullup or similar

I'm open to suggestions and would like to hear from your ideas, perspectives and wisdom.

Thanks.
See below my experience with the fighter pull-up program, however I used it during a basebuild. I have had success with it with Zulu also before getting injured.
http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=427

Kanga

Post by Kanga »

Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
Kanga wrote:

Hey, just checked it out. absolute gold mine. Thanks m8. :D

ectional wrote:I'm strongly in the fighter pull-up program at this point. Even though I couldn't finish it my pull-ups made a noticeable jump. I went from sets of 3-5 to sets of 7-9, I haven't tested my max yet. It will increase your numbers.
Awesome. I'll give it a crack and then get back to you. Thanks.

DocOctagon wrote:Honestly, if you can do 7 pull-ups you're better off incorporating them into Operator instead of using FPP. Use % of your total (7) as your 1RM and do 4-5 sets per Op session. Try it out for a block or two, retest and assess.
Tbh, i'm really feeling strongly for FPP. But, if it doesn't workout, i'll give your advice a whirl. Thanks m8. :)

Maxrip13 wrote:unless things have changed pullups are not part of the Aus infantry fitness requirements? I can guarantee that half the people in the battalions are not doing them strict haha. If you can pass the basic recruit test they will train you up enough at singleton. You will lose most fitness at kapooka anyway.

Well, after taking a look around ausmilitary.com forums and talking to current diggers. They've said that singleton has a 'unofficial' test of 60 pushups/ 100 situps/ 10 heaves (pullups) and 2.4km run under 10 minutes. Many old and current diggers agree that Kapooka has gone 'soft' and to train for singleton rather than Kapooka. Just like you said, many of the current diggers I've talked to agree that fitness of Kapooka does not prepare you for the fitness of singleton and being well prepared for it would help a lot. Overall, i would still like to be all around prepared for it.

Regardless of military or not, passing up the benefits of pull ups for general fitness, strength and aesthetics would be insane. Even if i didn't decide to go the army, i would still like to be solid at pull ups.
Maxrip13 wrote:Just do it 3 days a week on operator days. Start at 5 rep as your max. Trust me that its’s enough. Drop all other pullups from fun runs.
I'll try it out and then get back to you. Thanks for the advise.

Maxrip13 wrote:Both will work fine. What is your pullup training background? Depending on how long you have trained will depend on how you should approach this. Couple of weeks then just do regular operator sets. A couple of years then look at fighter pull up or similar
Honestly, I've never been able to do a single pull up till recently this year. I worked up to 3 then did BB which increased it to 7. However, i am leaning towards fighter pull ups more rather than regular operator sets.
Maxrip13 wrote:See below my experience with the fighter pull-up program, however I used it during a basebuild. I have had success with it with Zulu also before getting injured.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=427
Awesome. I'll give it a read then get back to you. Thanks for the advise. Cheers :D

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Kanga wrote:
Ibrahimovic105 wrote:
Kanga wrote:

Hey, just checked it out. absolute gold mine. Thanks m8. :D

ectional wrote:I'm strongly in the fighter pull-up program at this point. Even though I couldn't finish it my pull-ups made a noticeable jump. I went from sets of 3-5 to sets of 7-9, I haven't tested my max yet. It will increase your numbers.
Awesome. I'll give it a crack and then get back to you. Thanks.

DocOctagon wrote:Honestly, if you can do 7 pull-ups you're better off incorporating them into Operator instead of using FPP. Use % of your total (7) as your 1RM and do 4-5 sets per Op session. Try it out for a block or two, retest and assess.
Tbh, i'm really feeling strongly for FPP. But, if it doesn't workout, i'll give your advice a whirl. Thanks m8. :)

Maxrip13 wrote:unless things have changed pullups are not part of the Aus infantry fitness requirements? I can guarantee that half the people in the battalions are not doing them strict haha. If you can pass the basic recruit test they will train you up enough at singleton. You will lose most fitness at kapooka anyway.

Well, after taking a look around ausmilitary.com forums and talking to current diggers. They've said that singleton has a 'unofficial' test of 60 pushups/ 100 situps/ 10 heaves (pullups) and 2.4km run under 10 minutes. Many old and current diggers agree that Kapooka has gone 'soft' and to train for singleton rather than Kapooka. Just like you said, many of the current diggers I've talked to agree that fitness of Kapooka does not prepare you for the fitness of singleton and being well prepared for it would help a lot. Overall, i would still like to be all around prepared for it.

Regardless of military or not, passing up the benefits of pull ups for general fitness, strength and aesthetics would be insane. Even if i didn't decide to go the army, i would still like to be solid at pull ups.
Maxrip13 wrote:Just do it 3 days a week on operator days. Start at 5 rep as your max. Trust me that its’s enough. Drop all other pullups from fun runs.
I'll try it out and then get back to you. Thanks for the advise.

Maxrip13 wrote:Both will work fine. What is your pullup training background? Depending on how long you have trained will depend on how you should approach this. Couple of weeks then just do regular operator sets. A couple of years then look at fighter pull up or similar
Honestly, I've never been able to do a single pull up till recently this year. I worked up to 3 then did BB which increased it to 7. However, i am leaning towards fighter pull ups more rather than regular operator sets.
Maxrip13 wrote:See below my experience with the fighter pull-up program, however I used it during a basebuild. I have had success with it with Zulu also before getting injured.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=427
Awesome. I'll give it a read then get back to you. Thanks for the advise. Cheers :D
I did 8years in the Australian army mate. I left to join the police. It’s a much better job haha.

I wasn’t infantry, however I have met every fitness test required by them (Infantry PESA& arms corps CFA) and completed the special forces entry test (SFET) due to wannabe SAS officers when I was still in.

You will have no issues hitting 10 pull-ups considered how recently you started doing them. You would hit the numbers with a couple blocks through operator alone. In my opinion you don’t need the fighter pull-up program, however I am not a qualified coach. If you can hit 5x5 strict pull-ups with 2 min rest then you aren’t far off a set of 10.

You can do the fighter pull-up program, but it is pretty aggressive and you don’t really have the required numbers to really need something so focused yet. It’s up to you though and my link has a calculator in it to make it easier.

Kanga

Post by Kanga »

Maxrip13 wrote:I did 8years in the Australian army mate. I left to join the police. It’s a much better job haha.

I wasn’t infantry, however I have met every fitness test required by them (Infantry PESA& arms corps CFA) and completed the special forces entry test (SFET) due to wannabe SAS officers when I was still in.

You will have no issues hitting 10 pull-ups considered how recently you started doing them. You would hit the numbers with a couple blocks through operator alone. In my opinion you don’t need the fighter pull-up program, however I am not a qualified coach. If you can hit 5x5 strict pull-ups with 2 min rest then you aren’t far off a set of 10.

Nice, big respect to you mate 8-) haha. if its not too much to ask, what role did you go in as?

Rightio, I'll give it a go. Again, thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Kanga wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:I did 8years in the Australian army mate. I left to join the police. It’s a much better job haha.

Nice, big respect to you mate 8-) haha. if its not too much to ask, what role did you go in as?

Rightio, I'll give it a go. Again, thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.
I worked in stores, but like most people at 17 who join the army I wanted to be SF. I worked supporting workshops primarily attached to different units. I was joining originally as a direct entry commando and missed out due to a medical issue. Got tricked into being told I could easily transfer later and backdoor it in as a medic but it was a lie. I decided I would still try and work towards it and made it so my fitness wouldn’t be an issue if things changed.

All the fitness tests above were done with SF candidates or SF qualified members. As I said though I am not a grunt and fitness is probably one of the easiest standards to meet.
In the end I am a random guy on a forum with some experience to reach your pull-up goal and some similar military experience.
I am not infantry and haven’t completed the course will you be required to complete.

Adski

Post by Adski »

If you are are all around fit, you will lose fitness at kapooka, it happens, that’s how it is.

If you have your heaves sorted before then, you will more than likely lose a few, but gain it back quickly due to prior fitness.

There is no unofficial fitness test at Singleton that I am aware of, I am working there this week, and I will ask the PTI staff.

Your bfa should improve during Singleton, the PESA is not a gate at singo to leave there now.

Lastly, everyone will say the army is softer now compared to “their day”, the element of truth that is fact now is that the bfa is no longer a gate to leave kapooka, among other adjustments that are outside of the scope of this conversation.