Swings question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
claude512

Swings question

Post by claude512 »

Hello,

I need a bit of advice (or confirmation)
After having read Ageless Athlete I would like to incorporate swings back into my training.
I currently run Op + Black, by the book (SQ/BP/WPU, DL 1x per week)

Now I tried to do swings after my MS sessions as recommended in AA, however I actively dislike doing them after strength work, to the point of skipping them.

So, I came up with 2 options:
Switch to Zulu with the same cluster and do swings 2x/ week after the shorter MS session (keeps it overall short which I might dislike less, also leaves playroom for other nonKB forms of HIC)
-or-
Stick to OP, and do a rotation of Fobbits, hill sprints, and some Dan John “humane burpee” stuff which will have swings built in

What do you think? Any other ideas?
I do like Op + Black format quite a lot...

I have no particular goals, I am the office worker example who wants to be good at everything :D

Maxrip13

Re: Swings question

Post by Maxrip13 »

What do you not like about doing the swings after Op?

Is it the extra time, workload or just a general dislike of swings?

Are you getting swings in during your HIC sessions?

What do you usually prefer to do after your MS sessions?

Swings are great, but you don't have to do them. If you prefer your previous training just go back to that mate.

claude512

Post by claude512 »

Thanks!
I guess I am slightly guilty of paralysis by analysis.

What I don’t like about swings after MS is the time it takes... Op allows me to get in and take care of business in around 30-45 minutes, which I appreciate. There is also a bit of a mental aspect, where I somehow don’t feel like ballistics during a strength day (weird really).

Anyway, rereading it I guess the simple answer would be to just do some swings based HIC on days I feel like it (I like fobbits, and somehow have an urge to try Meat Eater II) and enjoy the process without overthinking it!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

claude512 wrote:Thanks!
I guess I am slightly guilty of paralysis by analysis.

What I don’t like about swings after MS is the time it takes... Op allows me to get in and take care of business in around 30-45 minutes, which I appreciate. There is also a bit of a mental aspect, where I somehow don’t feel like ballistics during a strength day (weird really).

Anyway, rereading it I guess the simple answer would be to just do some swings based HIC on days I feel like it (I like fobbits, and somehow have an urge to try Meat Eater II) and enjoy the process without overthinking it!
Depending on the goal with the swings it’s up to you. 5-10 mins at the end of the workout isn’t too bad. Alternatively you could warm up with some light sets. If you don’t like swings you don’t need to do them mate. Just another tool in the tool box

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Maxrip13 wrote:
claude512 wrote:
Depending on the goal with the swings it’s up to you. 5-10 mins at the end of the workout isn’t too bad. Alternatively you could warm up with some light sets. If you don’t like swings you don’t need to do them mate. Just another tool in the tool box
x2. I always find myself agree with Maxrip13!

As is mentioned above, doing some HIC that incorporate swings is probably the best way to get the swings in while not extending your workouts. You could just swing for HIC. Here's an old favorite of mine though it certainly doesn't originate with me!:

Take a moderately heavy KB, and do one-hand swings as follows: 15L-15Rx2, 12L-12Rx2, 10L-10Rx2, 8L-8Rx2, 6L-6Rx2, 4L-4Rx2, 2L-2Rx2.

See how far you can get without putting the KB down and generally minimize breaks as much as possible. You can try to beat your PR time each time you try this drill. I recommend that you don't do this on a day when you will need to SQ or DL the next day. That's a lot of swings!

claude512

Post by claude512 »

That sounds like a lot of fun :D
I will definitely try that!

I guess I like to hate swings, so I have decided to just stop making excuses and build them in through HIC or some after a session for a cycle or 2 and just learn by doing rather than thinking

I am still learning the details around the TB system, one mistake at a time, so it might take a few basic questions to get there, so thanks a lot for your replies!