TB MASS TEMPLATE or what?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Hellequin

TB MASS TEMPLATE or what?

Post by Hellequin »

Hello!

I just finished a block of OP/Black and enoying my deload week from now.
I lost about 1 kg during this cycle.

Currently I want to gain some mass - I want to bulk for the next cycle. I could use some more weight for my job, but still don't want to go full BB style. I now thought about doing Mass Made Simple from Dan John or Building the Monolith from Jim Wendler. But those programs are maybe too much for my working schedule (LEO with nights and kids @home) and I still want to do my martial arts training once a week. I can't be totally exhausted every day and I need to be fresh for my work.

Then I thought about doing OP/Black again with more sets (always 5 sets per exercise) or with some accessory in the end of the training (curls, shrugs, dips, ...).

OR I am going to try the TB Mass Template. I did not find so many reviews about it in the internet and it's not in the books anymore. So there are some doubts about it. Has anybody done it and can give a review about the results?

After a 6 week bulking/hypertrophy cycle I would go back to OP/black and work on 1-2 cycles of standard strength training.

Let me know what you think guys!

TBPenguin

Re: TB MASS TEMPLATE or what?

Post by TBPenguin »

Hellequin, it wasn't all that different from doing two cycles of Operator IA back to back. 3x/wk, 4 sets per exercise. The differences really were trivial. I think Op IA makes the side conditioning easier to do, you'll be less likely to burn out. KB has improved load-rep combos. I'd just do Op IA with 4-5 sets as your recovery allows.

Mindboozer

Post by Mindboozer »

I do Operator with 5 sets for the main lifts and 3 sets of an accessory (Day 1 curls, Day 2 static holds, Day 3 deadlifts). I personally find that it works really well (added 15lbs to my bench and 20 to my squat in the last block) and doesn't appear to affect my conditioning sessions. Definitely need to use a training max though if you're pushing to 5 sets.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

TBPenguin wrote:Hellequin, it wasn't all that different from doing two cycles of Operator IA back to back. 3x/wk, 4 sets per exercise. The differences really were trivial. I think Op IA makes the side conditioning easier to do, you'll be less likely to burn out. KB has improved load-rep combos. I'd just do Op IA with 4-5 sets as your recovery allows.
Thanks for your responses.

I don't see such differences between OP and OP I/A. The big difference is the possibility of taking an additional day off and do more sets. But I think I can also take an additional day of from oldschool OP without messing up the program.

I was just thinking about doing more than just 5 reps per set (hypertrophy works great with 8-12 reps or with widowmaker sets...). Maybe I could do a widowmaker set once a week for squats and bench - maybe this would make me happy as well!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Hellequin wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:Hellequin, it wasn't all that different from doing two cycles of Operator IA back to back. 3x/wk, 4 sets per exercise. The differences really were trivial. I think Op IA makes the side conditioning easier to do, you'll be less likely to burn out. KB has improved load-rep combos. I'd just do Op IA with 4-5 sets as your recovery allows.

I don't see such differences between OP and OP I/A. The big difference is the possibility of taking an additional day off and do more sets. But I think I can also take an additional day of from oldschool OP without messing up the program.

I was just thinking about doing more than just 5 reps per set (hypertrophy works great with 8-12 reps or with widowmaker sets...). Maybe I could do a widowmaker set once a week for squats and bench - maybe this would make me happy as well!
Op I/A allows you to do up to 10 sets per exercise if recovery allows.
10x5=50 reps vs 5x8 =40 reps. You have to really start pushing the higher rep range to equal the total volume available from Op I/A.
Pushing your OP I/A sets out to max once a week would be heaps of additional volume for hypertrophy.

I actually like to go outside that 5 rep range sometimes just to mix things up. What I usually do is stick to TB OP programming, but instead of adding weight I will just add reps each week. I am currently doing this with my pullups by starting at 3x6 (BW) and in my 90% week will be doing 3x10. Next cycle I will be doing the same with my benchpress, but adding weight back to my pullups after building some moderate volume back in.

This lets me add a little hypertrophy whilst working LEO shift work(just came off nightshift), doing BJJ and just enjoying life in general outside the gym.

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Hellequin wrote:

10x5=50 reps vs 5x8 =40 reps. You have to really start pushing the higher rep range to equal the total volume available from Op I/A.
Pushing your OP I/A sets out to max once a week would be heaps of additional volume for hypertrophy.

I actually like to go outside that 5 rep range sometimes just to mix things up. What I usually do is stick to TB OP programming, but instead of adding weight I will just add reps each week. I am currently doing this with my pullups by starting at 3x6 (BW) and in my 90% week will be doing 3x10. Next cycle I will be doing the same with my benchpress, but adding weight back to my pullups after building some moderate volume back in.

This lets me add a little hypertrophy whilst working LEO shift work(just came off nightshift), doing BJJ and just enjoying life in general outside the gym.
Maxrip13 you convinced me. Going to stay conservativ with the TMs and try to do more sets per training, even when I train regulary on Mon/Wed/Fri (MS). So OP I/A it is!!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Hellequin wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Hellequin wrote:

Maxrip13 you convinced me. Going to stay conservativ with the TMs and try to do more sets per training, even when I train regulary on Mon/Wed/Fri (MS). So OP I/A it is!!

Good Luck mate. I am not saying don't ever go outside that 5 rep range ever.
For your goal you would be better off aiming for a 10 set Op I/A session every third one or so. This would add a large amount of volume and not smash you recovery wise. Below would be how I would do it in a perfect world if I knew my day to day schedule. You would be effectively adding a whole extra day of volume 1 x per week(cycle).

Session 1-5x5
Session 2-5x5
Session 3-10x5
Repeat

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin »

I thought more about:

Mon: 7x5
Wed: 7x5
Fr: 3-5x5 (if hard working weekend approaching) - 7x5 (if easy weekend coming)

this would be 21x5, thats freaking crazy :D

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Hellequin wrote:I thought more about:

Mon: 7x5
Wed: 7x5
Fr: 3-5x5 (if hard working weekend approaching) - 7x5 (if easy weekend coming)

this would be 21x5, thats freaking crazy :D
It adds up very quickly. I personally never really go above 5x5 and stick to 3x5 most sessions.
It works for me as between BJJ and shiftwork I don't have the greatest recovery.

When I have a few days off I will push the volume a bit and generally only on upper body exercises.