Lessons from failure

MxS/SE/HIC/E
grouchyjarhead

Lessons from failure

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Had a rude reminder over this week about the importance of sticking to TB principles for my own personal training, and I thought I would share.

Prior to my last training block, I tried to stick to the "Easy Week" principle as prescribed in TB2. Even if it was just doing one workout less that week or adjusting my training slightly, I made an effort to program in more recovery so I could keep training steadily. Until, of course, most recently when I "thought" I could push harder for a while and then take it easy once I reached my objective. My rationale was I was preparing for a GORUCK Heavy (a 24+ hour endurance event which mimics aspects of military training) and after it was over I was going on vacation so it "should" be okay.

Just to give you an idea of the work I was putting in, between July and August I rucked 130 miles with anywhere from 35-50# in my rucksack, 19 ruck-specific workouts using the same, and several intense training sessions (a 15 mile overnight session with lots of PT while carrying a 50# sandbag among three other friends; a GORUCK Tough and Light back to back; a 10 mile ruck where three other friends and I carried about 200# between us; and a 30 mile ruck over 10 hours carrying 50#). But, again, I "thought" I was going to get more rest after the event so I was pushing hard. Too hard.

Friday August 31st was game day, the start of the GORUCK Heavy. I felt strong and ready, and I was even thinking of doing the 6 hour Light on Sunday to support some friends of mine who were doing the HTL challenge (where you do the 24 hour Heavy event, have a few hours off, do the 12 hour Tough event, have a few hours off, and then finish up with the 6 hour Light event). We started off moving at a quick pace, hustling a few miles to where we would start our physical fitness test. I got on the team weight (a 50# coupon) right off the bat and stuck with the same few guys up front who switched it out up to our first objective. So far, so good.

Then it was time for the PT test: 2 minutes timed push-ups, 2 minutes timed sit-ups, and a 12 mile timed ruck. I was either the highest or one of the highest for both events (66 push-ups and 72 sit-ups) and was looking forward to the 12 miler as we had to finish it in under 3 hours and 30 minutes while wearing my ruck (30# plate plus water and some personal items) and I have done under 3 hours before. But, this is where my failure came back to bite me. I have had some back issues in the past, but as long as I was sensible with my training and incorporated in proper rest, no problem whatsoever. In fact, TB has been fantastic for me in that respect. By the time I hit the turn around point, my back was tightening up badly and I was walking lopsided. I made it about 3 more miles but then I was done. I had to drop out. Fortunately my doctor said it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but I will definitely be down for a week or two more.

So now I'm licking my wounds and disappointed in myself, as I knew better. Unfortunately hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm hoping someone can learn from my mistake. If anything, it's a good time for me to reset, heal up, and once I'm good to go I'm thinking a Base Building block to ease back into things.

Long story short -

TB has worked tremendously well for me in the past, provided I stuck to the basic principles. I began to stray from those principles, began working too hard, and injured myself on the day I had to perform. Now I see it was a programming error and all my fault.

Mindboozer

Re: Lessons from failure

Post by Mindboozer »

Sorry to hear that brother. Your log is always the best to check in on to see how much harder I should be working! I hope you heal up and get another shot at a Heavy.

Do you typically take a week off between training blocks or do you use the easy weeks as recovery?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Mindboozer wrote:Sorry to hear that brother. Your log is always the best to check in on to see how much harder I should be working! I hope you heal up and get another shot at a Heavy.

Do you typically take a week off between training blocks or do you use the easy weeks as recovery?
Hi Mindboozer - So far, so good. I'll be down a few weeks but then I think that will be a perfect time for some Base Building. There's potentially some events in November but no Heavies around my area for the rest of the year or the next, although I might travel to one next year as there will be a few close by.

Typically I would take up to a week off after events and would still use the easy weeks as recovery. Unfortunately this time I didn't do that. I was hitting it too hard every other week. For example -

07/20 and 7/21 - GORUCK Tough and Light (Operation Red Wings).
08/04 - 10 mile ruck with 45# dry weight, plus various weights for us to carry in addition (sandbags and Jerry cans).
08/18 - 30 mile ruck march with 45# dry weight.
08/31 - GORUCK Heavy attempt.

So very poor planning on my part. I knew what I was supposed to do, but I tried bending the rules.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Sorry to hear that. I wish you fast and easy recovery.

I am familiar with injuries very well.. it sucks but it is part of training life.. on the other hand.. I always learn something new about myself by going through the injury/recovery game. It’s not an easy lesson but valuable one..

Cheers mate!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

sorry to hear that! hope the rehab work goes smoothly.

as a serial *push that bit harder and do a little more* guy myself who gets in similar situations, your post really resonates. maybe we should program recovery sessions/weeks as seriously as the normal training sessions!
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

godjira1 wrote:sorry to hear that! hope the rehab work goes smoothly.

as a serial *push that bit harder and do a little more* guy myself who gets in similar situations, your post really resonates. maybe we should program recovery sessions/weeks as seriously as the normal training sessions!
I have been scheduling at least a 4 days-week off after every block on the regular basis. About 2 weeks off after BB once a year. I feel that it does help a lot. Also I do feel that I need to take some break if I am not feeling "normal" during my regular blocks. So I do take 1-2 extra days off here and there..

But do I break those rules? Yes I do.. :(
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Grouchy, sorry for your pain and disappointment. Thanks for all you do to educate the rest of us.

johndoeman2017

Post by johndoeman2017 »

Good to hear from a fellow Jarhead!

I've had similar issues myself. I keep "pushing" and then when it comes to my "easy" week I skip it and try to continue hard. I always flame out and you've made the point of easy weeks all the more important with your story. Working on TB II base building, starting week 4, trying to get back into Marine shape (but for US Marshals). I am following the "do this" sample 17 week program since I cannot program for myself to save my life. Yet this strengthens my resolve to really follow the program closely.

OORAH brother!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

johndoeman2017 wrote:Good to hear from a fellow Jarhead!

I've had similar issues myself. I keep "pushing" and then when it comes to my "easy" week I skip it and try to continue hard. I always flame out and you've made the point of easy weeks all the more important with your story. Working on TB II base building, starting week 4, trying to get back into Marine shape (but for US Marshals). I am following the "do this" sample 17 week program since I cannot program for myself to save my life. Yet this strengthens my resolve to really follow the program closely.

OORAH brother!
Sorry I missed this before. TB has been a life saver and a game changer for me. I highly recommend it to everyone.

jzt

Post by jzt »

Sorry to hear about your injury.

Much like yourself, I got cocky one too many times and it ended up costing me in the past. If I don't feel up for a workout or something is ''off'', I just take a rest day. A rest day is a very minor setback compared to a possible injury.