New Schedule Advice

MxS/SE/HIC/E
spemma

New Schedule Advice

Post by spemma »

Hey all,

Just finished up a FLE academy and started the new job. In addition, added a baby to the mix and a move. I'm still repaying the goodwill of leaving my wife with a new baby for a number of months while I was gone.

Ultimately, I plan on still training BJJ 2x/week. I'm looking to "stay in shape" and currently don't have access to a gym (with barbells).

What would you recommend I do?

My biggest weakness continues to be E, so I'm thinking of just doing 3 x 30 minute E sessions each week. I worry about not doing any SE or MS....but it might just have to be that way. I thought about doing Simple and Sinister to compensate, but admittedly I've never even tried the program.

TL/DR: looking for advice for a new dad who can't dedicate a lot of time in the gym at the moment.

Barkadion

Re: New Schedule Advice

Post by Barkadion »

Congrats on the baby!

Personally, I jumped into BB when I got my twins. One of the best decisions of my life.

I had a period in my life when I was broke and didn't have a buck for a gym. I was able to get cheap doorway pull-up bar. All I did was running, pull ups, dips with using wooden blocks and furniture, push ups/one arm push ups, pistols and step ups with some heavy household things. It did serve me good for the while.

It sounds that you have KB? Unilateral KB drills can do a lot of goods for you. And I would still suggest getting pull up bar.

I think there is a MS cluster in the book with pistols, pull ups, and one arm push ups..

It can be done! Cheers.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Hi Spemma,

Congrats on the baby!

I'm not very frequent here at the forum because I haven't tried Tactical Barbell yet. I will switch to it when I reach the Simple standard from simple and sinister, I want to finish what I started.

I started Simple and Sinister when my daughter was born. All I had was a plastic 14 kg kettlebell. I am now working with a 28 for swings and a 32 for get ups.

I can say that it is a very good program for your circumstances. It's very forgiving, I have done practices of as little as 3 minutes, and my frequency has gone down to 2/week on occasions. But as long as you don't give up and do something, the program delivers.

If you are lucky enough to own a home gym, maybe a barbell program is a good idea. Otherwise, having the time to go to the gym doesn't always happen. You can buy a 24 kg kettlebell and give it a try, owning one of those is never a bad idea.

Please don't take it as I'm advising against Tactical Barbell as it is not the case. If you have access to a barbell, TB might be even more efficient than S&S time wise.

Good luck!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Congrats on the little one mate.

Simple and sinister would tick the box to keep you in shape and some good advice above. I like to pair it with the fighter pull-up program and LSS forbasebuilding. It got me to 20 pull-ups while I was at the academy (LE)

I definitely think 2-3 LSS sessions would be a great idea.

Another option is EMOM training.

It’s easier to set aside 10-20 mins with the other half than an hour+ at the gym . Get a pull-up bar and just bang out a set amount of pull-ups or similar and get some training in that way. E.g

5 pull-ups/min fo 10 min =50 total reps
20 mins and its 100 reps

I used to do this while doing my cooking and just set a timer to beep every min.

Don’t forget BJJ has a SE element as well.

I just came back to MS after nearly 5 months away. I enjoyed the change and spent the time doing gymnastic ring training.I barely lost any strength and will get to my old levels in no time.

Any training is better than nothing.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

If barbell access is an issue but kettlebells are available, then simple+sinister as a plug and play for a minimum level of strength training works. Add pullups or chinups to the mix and you are getting stronger. Naked Warrior (working to pistol squats and 1h pushups) is another viable alternative and you can do it at home. You don't have to do it in the GTG style, a dedicated 10min practice session daily would go a long long way.

On the other hand, if you think E is your issue (ie. resting HR>60 for instance) then I would just aim to add 2-3 sessions of E ala basebuilding per week until you sort that out, then move over to Simple and Sinister OR Naked Warrior (in both cases, add pullups/chinups). I am with you in that having a decent level of "cardio" (in my case when my avg RHR is in the low 50s) really helps with BJJ once you reach a certain level of skill.

Frankly I feel SE training + BJJ is not really needed, the sport specific conditioning... is the sport specific conditioning.

BJJ plays ok with E, but badly with MS on the same day in my experience.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

bull205

Post by bull205 »

Spemma,

I just finished my Base Building. This was the first BB I've run, so take this with a grain of salt as a simple n=1 story...I was doing S+S for four months prior to reading TB and starting BB. I have lots of experience with kettlebells, but really was taking my time and owning each bell. I started with the 44, then the 53, then the 70. I was stuck on 70 for a long time...until I started BB. I used S+S as the SE days and ran BB as written. Almost immediately my work with the 70 progressed. My rest intervals compressed quickly to 1:1 and i nailed the simple standard three weeks into BB. I could've continued, but that was my goal so I switched to KB SE and bodyweight SE.

I started with S+S because I didn't have a lot of time. I believed the hype in the books and thought that was all i would need. Turns out that what I really needed was S+S+BB!