Questions regarding Base Building

MxS/SE/HIC/E
kibebr

Questions regarding Base Building

Post by kibebr »

Basically, my goals are: high reps for push ups, sit ups, curl ups, pull ups (bodyweight exercises), sprints, cardio(3 mile run under 22 minutes is my goal). I have military-like competitions throughout next year.

I read TB2 book and understood that I should do Base Building first. I decided then to do the standard version first(muscle endurance), which is this template:

The questions I have are:

1) Except for the E sessions(I really suck at endurance/cardio, 30min jog is hell to me), the SE sessions are really really really easy for me. Is there a way I can make it harder? Replacing the Recovery day for another SE session? Doing SE sessions after E sessions? Or, mixing up the Green SE Protocol with Base Building?

Green SE Protocol Template:

2) How can I progress on my E sessions? For example, atm I am able to jog 30 minutes with a 10:40 pace. Next time I do a 30 min jog should I lower the pace? For example down to 10:30?

3) What is a good and hard SE Cluster for the exercises I listed above? I would like to have more exercises emphasizing the core(need to improve my sit ups and curl ups numbers a lot!!) and my back (I can't even do a single pull up, yeah.)
So, how can I build a cluster based on my weaknesses? My push ups is kinda okay (60 under 1min).

Thanks, hope those questions aren't that stupid!

Tym87

Re: Questions regarding Base Building

Post by Tym87 »

Easy fix, but first you should pull those images off imgur if you put them there. People that are here know the clusters and templates, but it hurts the TB program as a whole if it is given away for free.

If the SE is too easy, switch to doing them as Tango circuits. Instead of doing 3 sets of 20 push-ups, do as many push-ups as you can in 1 min for 3 sets then do that for each exercise. Look up the SE protocol for Tango circuits in the book and follow that for base building if the standard version is too easy for you. It's also in the Ageless Athlete book too.

I would recommend you doing pull ups separate since you can't do them yet and do a cluster of Situps/Crunches, Pushups, Squats, and maybe leglifts if you feel like you need 2 core exercises. The pull-ups should be progressed either at another part of the day or right before the SE work. Work up to doing 5 and then do something like the Fighter Pull-up Program or keeping doing sets of 3 until you can't do them anymore. Pull-ups take practice, i'd do them everyday until i got to 5 solid reps.

With the running the idea right now during base building isn't to do the runs faster, especially if you say you are struggling with E. If anything, add 5 or 10 minutes to the runs to make them longer. Make it longer, not faster. If that isn't an option, add an extra E day. The book even gives an example of doing E 5 days a week if you want. You have to do it right though, its about length of time in an aerobic state, not running faster. If it is a struggle like you say it is, stick to the program as is for E right now until you can handle that kind of running volume.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Tym87 wrote:you should pull those images off imgur if you put them there.
+1. And if they aren't your images, you can edit your post (delete them).

These same imgur links were posted to the TB reddit. We don't have to let this happen here. Mods?
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

kibebr

Post by kibebr »

close_fox wrote:
Tym87 wrote:you should pull those images off imgur if you put them there.
+1. And if they aren't your images, you can edit your post (delete them).

These same imgur links were posted to the TB reddit. We don't have to let this happen here. Mods?
My bad for taking long to edit the post, just checked the replies now. Thanks for the warn up

kibebr

Post by kibebr »

Tym87 wrote:Easy fix, but first you should pull those images off imgur if you put them there. People that are here know the clusters and templates, but it hurts the TB program as a whole if it is given away for free.

If the SE is too easy, switch to doing them as Tango circuits. Instead of doing 3 sets of 20 push-ups, do as many push-ups as you can in 1 min for 3 sets then do that for each exercise. Look up the SE protocol for Tango circuits in the book and follow that for base building if the standard version is too easy for you. It's also in the Ageless Athlete book too.

I would recommend you doing pull ups separate since you can't do them yet and do a cluster of Situps/Crunches, Pushups, Squats, and maybe leglifts if you feel like you need 2 core exercises. The pull-ups should be progressed either at another part of the day or right before the SE work. Work up to doing 5 and then do something like the Fighter Pull-up Program or keeping doing sets of 3 until you can't do them anymore. Pull-ups take practice, i'd do them everyday until i got to 5 solid reps.

With the running the idea right now during base building isn't to do the runs faster, especially if you say you are struggling with E. If anything, add 5 or 10 minutes to the runs to make them longer. Make it longer, not faster. If that isn't an option, add an extra E day. The book even gives an example of doing E 5 days a week if you want. You have to do it right though, its about length of time in an aerobic state, not running faster. If it is a struggle like you say it is, stick to the program as is for E right now until you can handle that kind of running volume.
Hey, thanks so much for your answer, it clarified a lot.

I’ll look into the Tango circuit at the book!

Also, I feel like only doing body weight exercises is a waste of time since I have a gym full of accessories I could use, even though the competitions will be solely based on body weight.

Do you have any recommendations of exercises w/ accessories that could benefit muscle endurance or that’s not beneficial at all? Should I focus solely on the exercises that will be tested on the competitions?

Thanks!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

kibebr wrote:Basically, my goals are: high reps for push ups, sit ups, curl ups, pull ups (bodyweight exercises), sprints, cardio(3 mile run under 22 minutes is my goal). I have military-like competitions throughout next year.

I read TB2 book and understood that I should do Base Building first. I decided then to do the standard version first(muscle endurance), which is this template:

1) Except for the E sessions(I really suck at endurance/cardio, 30min jog is hell to me), the SE sessions are really really really easy for me. Is there a way I can make it harder? Replacing the Recovery day for another SE session? Doing SE sessions after E sessions? Or, mixing up the Green SE Protocol with Base Building?

2) How can I progress on my E sessions? For example, atm I am able to jog 30 minutes with a 10:40 pace. Next time I do a 30 min jog should I lower the pace? For example down to 10:30?

3) What is a good and hard SE Cluster for the exercises I listed above? I would like to have more exercises emphasizing the core(need to improve my sit ups and curl ups numbers a lot!!) and my back (I can't even do a single pull up, yeah.)
So, how can I build a cluster based on my weaknesses? My push ups is kinda okay (60 under 1min).

Some great advice above from other members,

I am a little confused mate. You say you find the SE really easy then say you have exercises to work on. You also mention that you can’t do a single pull-up yet? You said you can do 60 push-ups in under a min which is excellent if they are full ROM pushups. It’s just a little all over the place but I am pre coffee.

If you can hit the 3x50 week of basebuilding with no rest between exercises and in single sets, then your SE is maxed out for that specific cluster. You have a couple options:
1.change exercises
2.add weight or difficulty(cadence pushups e.g)
3. Add a session

If you are only in the first week and find it easy that is the idea. 3x20 isn’t difficult at the start, it’s the 3x50 week with 60 + min runs that catches up to you in basebuilding.

You mentioned you struggle to run for 30 min.
If your goal is to improve that running base and your SE is at max level, I would do a strength first Basebuild. If you are already smashing out 3x50+ sets with no rest,but can’t do a single pull-up you need strength.

I don’t know if it’s injury or a form issue but I find it hard to believe you have the body composition and SE to perform 60 pushups under a min, with good form but you can’t perform a single pull-up? The only reason I can think is injury issues?

I guess I am asking for a little more information because I think you might be a little confused from the books or something. If not you are the SE push-up god hahaha :D

kibebr

Post by kibebr »

Maxrip13 wrote:
kibebr wrote:Basically, my goals are: high reps for push ups, sit ups, curl ups, pull ups (bodyweight exercises), sprints, cardio(3 mile run under 22 minutes is my goal). I have military-like competitions throughout next year.

I am a little confused mate. You say you find the SE really easy then say you have exercises to work on. You also mention that you can’t do a single pull-up yet? You said you can do 60 push-ups in under a min which is excellent if they are full ROM pushups. It’s just a little all over the place but I am pre coffee.

If you can hit the 3x50 week of basebuilding with no rest between exercises and in single sets, then your SE is maxed out for that specific cluster. You have a couple options:
1.change exercises
3. Add a session

If you are only in the first week and find it easy that is the idea. 3x20 isn’t difficult at the start, it’s the 3x50 week with 60 + min runs that catches up to you in basebuilding.

If your goal is to improve that running base and your SE is at max level, I would do a strength first Basebuild. If you are already smashing out 3x50+ sets with no rest,but can’t do a single pull-up you need strength.

I don’t know if it’s injury or a form issue but I find it hard to believe you have the body composition and SE to perform 60 pushups under a min, with good form but you can’t perform a single pull-up? The only reason I can think is injury issues?

I guess I am asking for a little more information because I think you might be a little confused from the books or something. If not you are the SE push-up god hahaha :D
Hey, thanks so much for your answer.

I think the reason I’m good at push ups is that I’ve been going to the gym for some time(mostly doing bodybuilding routines), and did those push ups challenges and all that. The problem is that back then I had always neglected my core, back and legs. But keep in mind that those 60 push-ups is just in one circuit, bc after that I get really sore and it gets harder.

And no, I don’t think I have maxed out with my SE. I just had the feeling that, for example, doing 30 pushups reps over and over again would be too easy for me, but yeah know I realize this is just week 1.

Also, I don’t recall the book saying anything about lowering the rest time during SE sessions, when should I lower the rest time? Bc I can easily do 30, 40 or 50 reps of any exercise(besides pull ups ofc) resting 2 minutes each circuit(as the book says), should I lower that down?

Thanks!

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

I believe it is in TB I under strength endurance, it says that you can progress by reducing rest intervals, increasing weight or adding reps, but I'm pulling from memory. You will be using your gym a lot after base-building, but a perfect edition to a SE cluster would be Kettlebell swings. That would fill in the posterior chain and give you something to use in the gym.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

my 2 cents:

1) You need the E work if you want to do a 22min 3mile. I reckon you keep going until your resting HR is sub 55.

2) A little confused about the SE - u can do 50 pushups but not 1 pullup? That sounds like serious imbalances... I would do a modified SE program where I would hit the things where I am clearly out of sync with (in your case, pulls or maybe squats? hinges?)
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

kibebr wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

1.change exercises
3. Add a session

Hey, thanks so much for your answer.

I think the reason I’m good at push ups is that I’ve been going to the gym for some time(mostly doing bodybuilding routines), and did those push ups challenges and all that. The problem is that back then I had always neglected my core, back and legs. But keep in mind that those 60 push-ups is just in one circuit, bc after that I get really sore and it gets harder.

And no, I don’t think I have maxed out with my SE. I just had the feeling that, for example, doing 30 pushups reps over and over again would be too easy for me, but yeah know I realize this is just week 1.

Also, I don’t recall the book saying anything about lowering the rest time during SE sessions, when should I lower the rest time? Bc I can easily do 30, 40 or 50 reps of any exercise(besides pull ups ofc) resting 2 minutes each circuit(as the book says), should I lower that down?

Thanks!
I would just Do basebuilding as per usual then. Do a trip through as per the book without changing anything.if you still find it easy after you complete it you can do a harder version next time.

A single set of 50+ pushups is ok, but if you can’t repeat the effort then you need that extra SE work. 3 sets of 30 is 50% of your single set max and a perfect place to start adding the volume. It adds up to you doing 30 reps on top of your usual 60 rep max set without going to full failure. If you are just bouncing through the reps then slow them down and do them controlled.

The pushups are just part of a circuit and might be easy initially but you can work on other stuff like your pulling SE to work towards a pull-up.

50 is 83% of 60, so basically you will be doing multiple sets at nearly 85% of your max. If you spread that over 4-5 exercises and include going from struggling to run for 30 min to 60min + you start to realise that basebuilding actually involves a shit ton of volume.

If a 30 min run is hard for you then you might just want your SE to be easy initially while you build up that E base.

TLDR: Follow the template as is and if it’s easy make it harder next time.