Mass Protocol - Available NOW + TOC/FAQs

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

Re: Mass Protocol - Available NOW + TOC/FAQs

Post by TBPenguin »

YohanBC wrote:
I just began Grey man Monday...I didn't train legs for 9 months due to an injury, and going straight to the squats gave me intense cramps and soreness.
Wow, I'll bet. After 9 months of no leg training, when you tested for a max, was it really low or higher than you expected?

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

K.B. wrote:
I recommend actually starting the program and running a block or two of your chosen template before making any judgements on the volume, or anything else. Ensure that your diet is on point as outlined in the book. Do MP Base Building to improve work capacity if required. That's what it's there for. If you still feel like it's too challenging, you always have the option of using a training max. The %RMs are already much lower than what you're accustomed to with max-strength training. Maybe you're not taking that into account right now, which might make the volume look more daunting than it actually is. Dropping the regular TBII-style conditioning by itself will free up more gas in the tank. Bottom line - don't defeat yourself before you've even started.

Points well made and well taken. Thank you.

I mapped out a first block for all four generals side by side - main cluster only. If nothing else, it made me appreciate how the volumes and intensities were manipulated to account for differences in frequency and the like. Very cool.

YohanBC

Post by YohanBC »

TBPenguin wrote:
YohanBC wrote:
I just began Grey man Monday...I didn't train legs for 9 months due to an injury, and going straight to the squats gave me intense cramps and soreness.
Wow, I'll bet. After 9 months of no leg training, when you tested for a max, was it really low or higher than you expected?
It was really low, but it could have been worse I guess so I'll take it.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

YohanBC wrote:It was really low, but it could have been worse I guess so I'll take it.
Re-entry is always harsh, no doubt this first block will not feel wonderful. At least you can squat again. Hope it goes well for you.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:I mapped out a first block for all four generals side by side - main cluster only. If nothing else, it made me appreciate how the volumes and intensities were manipulated to account for differences in frequency and the like. Very cool.
How does H Fighter look to you?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:I mapped out a first block for all four generals side by side - main cluster only. If nothing else, it made me appreciate how the volumes and intensities were manipulated to account for differences in frequency and the like. Very cool.
How does H Fighter look to you?
In terms of what? Not sure how I could add to the book. All I can really say on it is that it looks really feasible from both timing (session length and calendar fit) and volume, intensity stuff. But probably I'm not looking at it in the way your thinking?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:In terms of what? Not sure how I could add to the book. All I can really say on it is that it looks really feasible from both timing (session length and calendar fit) and volume, intensity stuff. But probably I'm not looking at it in the way your thinking?
Just curious to see how it looks to you in terms of volume/intensity comparing to the other generals since you did the trouble of mapping out the templates..

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:In terms of what? Not sure how I could add to the book. All I can really say on it is that it looks really feasible from both timing (session length and calendar fit) and volume, intensity stuff. But probably I'm not looking at it in the way your thinking?
Just curious to see how it looks to you in terms of volume/intensity comparing to the other generals since you did the trouble of mapping out the templates..
Bark, overall it looks the least demanding, which from reading the descriptions seems to be the intent, making it feasible for those with unit PT or MMA stuff going on as well. My guess is that after you doing F Bangkok it would be an easy transition, at least from the perspective of physical stress.

I suspect that for you and I, the template selection is not going to be nearly as critical as whether we meet the diet requirements (as KB has hammered in the book and in this thread). That is a comment on our ages and life situations, not the diet. Have you calculated what your daily intake needs to be and thought about how you will get it in?

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Gents, I want to emphasize - there is no downside to using a training max or starting too light. TM/starting light might keep your initial blocks as low as 40-70% (true RM) which is perfectly acceptable for hypertrophy provided there is sufficient volume (there is). At the end of the day it's just a starting point. Work capacity and load will both shake out and increase simultaneously as you progress.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Bark, overall it looks the least demanding, which from reading the descriptions seems to be the intent, making it feasible for those with unit PT or MMA stuff going on as well. My guess is that after you doing F Bangkok it would be an easy transition, at least from the perspective of physical stress.

I suspect that for you and I, the template selection is not going to be nearly as critical as whether we meet the diet requirements (as KB has hammered in the book and in this thread). That is a comment on our ages and life situations, not the diet. Have you calculated what your daily intake needs to be and thought about how you will get it in?
Frankly, I don’t see any issues with the diet. I am running on 3-4Ks with TB in general. Only difference is the macros. I’m getting about 1g of protein per 1lb of BW and about .6-.7 g of fat per 1 lb of BW. The rest is carbs. I might have some problems with getting less fat. Protein can be easily increased with the protein powder.

Another question is recovery. 6 hrs of sleep is my best bet. Plus extra activities related to the little kids and family.