Strength & Hypertrophy?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
ryan28michael

Strength & Hypertrophy?

Post by ryan28michael »

This might sound a little strange....

Is it possible to run a Mass template for legs while doing Strength for all upper body movements?

My reason for asking is I am 5’11, 206lbs been doing TB for around 3 years. Running Base Building, Zulu & Operator templates.

I am happy with the strength and size of my upper body, not really wanting to get bigger up top.

My legs have always been skinny, out of proportion to my upper body, and I don’t skip leg day....

I am considering running a Mass/Hypertrophy phase to build more size in my legs in an attempt to recruit more muscle fibres, therefore making my legs stronger....

What’s your thoughts?

Aiwacht

Re: Strength & Hypertrophy?

Post by Aiwacht »

I managed to make my legs grow disproportionately large when I was about 30, from high volume (20 rep) squats, SLDLs, along with running and cycling a lot. This seems to be fairly permanent now! But yeah, you should totally be able to add more mass with moving the focus to legs, mass protocol (really just more sets & a bit higher reps, no need to go super squats like I did), and nutrition. Cycling def. helps!

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

I’m in the exact opposite situation: right now i’m focusing more on my upper body lifts, trying to gain size too while increasing strength on my lower body lifts

For me the solution is always Operator I/A with 3 sets for Lower body and 5 to 10 sets for Upper body...it works so well: you can try with bare minimum sets for upper and increase the sets for lower

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

ryan28michael wrote:This might sound a little strange....

Is it possible to run a Mass template for legs while doing Strength for all upper body movements?

My reason for asking is I am 5’11, 206lbs been doing TB for around 3 years. Running Base Building, Zulu & Operator templates.

I am happy with the strength and size of my upper body, not really wanting to get bigger up top.

My legs have always been skinny, out of proportion to my upper body, and I don’t skip leg day....

I am considering running a Mass/Hypertrophy phase to build more size in my legs in an attempt to recruit more muscle fibres, therefore making my legs stronger....

What’s your thoughts?
What are your squat numbers compared to your pressing numbers? Why do you need bigger legs? It actually gets annoying if you ever have to walk or run far haha.

I have the opposite problem and recently recently dropped some muscle off my legs to improve my LSS running.

If you squat and bench similar then you will reach your goal by upping that Squat number.

As above OP I/A with more squat sets is a good option. Alternatively a back squat, body weight dip and pull-up cluster. Though I don’t think you will complain about extra upper body mass unless it effects you work wise or athletically.

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

"What are your squat numbers compared to your pressing numbers? Why do you need bigger legs? It actually gets annoying if you ever have to walk or run far haha."

This is the truth! bodyglide was the only way I was ever able to run long distance!