“Minimalistic Weight Training Stretched” - Marty Gallagher

MxS/SE/HIC/E
grouchyjarhead

“Minimalistic Weight Training Stretched” - Marty Gallagher

Post by grouchyjarhead »

https://www.ironcompany.com/blog/minima ... stretched/

Cliffs Notes - he trains some high speed military guys who by necessity have to have a minimalist approach to strength training to compliment their busy schedules. They have seen solid progress even on as little as one day a week.

03rockeater

Re: “Minimalistic Weight Training Stretched” - Marty Gallagher

Post by 03rockeater »

Interesting stuff... thanks for sharing

jzt

Post by jzt »

I mean, I'm all for minimalist training, but I've never been able to get on board with any program that doesn't have some form of pulling.

Some people will claim that the deadlift ''builds the whole back'' I find that to be overly exaggerated since the back muscles are mostly static during a deadlift. That's one of the main reason I was so drawn to TB, because it considered the weighted chins as a main lift (something I had done for years, but never found in any program).

I think anyone has time for at least 2 x 45 mins strength sessions with an A (Press, Deadlift, Chin Ups) and B (Bench, Squat, Rows/Pull Ups) setup.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I imagine this is in addition to group PT sessions, but I agree with you.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I found after an extended period of minimalist style training I needed to switch things up as I caused myself a heap of imbalances and over use injuries.

I did this by sticking with the same cluster exercises endlessly and doing nothing but LSS and BJJ.

I think it’s a really important point to get some variety through HIC and warmups if you are going to stick to the same cluster exercises for long periods of time at least in my case.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Maxrip13 wrote:I found after an extended period of minimalist style training I needed to switch things up as I caused myself a heap of imbalances and over use injuries.

I did this by sticking with the same cluster exercises endlessly and doing nothing but LSS and BJJ.

I think it’s a really important point to get some variety through HIC and warmups if you are going to stick to the same cluster exercises for long periods of time at least in my case.
I would agree with that. I like to keep my barbell sessions pretty simple and use my SE sessions to cover any other areas.

Tirofijo

Post by Tirofijo »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I imagine this is in addition to group PT sessions, but I agree with you.
Marty alludes to training at Dam Neck, and we all know what that means. I'd be surprised if any SEAL is not doing a heavy dose of pullups - whether he's programming them or not. Kinda like Dan John said for high school football - no need to program the bench press because guys are going to do them whether you tell to or not.