Assessing Assistance

MxS/SE/HIC/E
CSBC

Assessing Assistance

Post by CSBC »

After a lower back "tweak" I have realized that I likely cannot carry on with my "minimalist" approach to training and need to add in some dedicated movements that will strengthen my torso and low back.

Traditionally I've stuck with the basic barbell movements coupled with push-ups, pull-ups, and abs whenever I felt like it, but I'm looking to add leg raises, the ab wheel, and back extensions to my daily training.

Would these 3 movements cover all bases, so to speak? I am having a bit of analysis paralysis here, and having been researching reverse hyper machines, GHDs, and even considered adding Good Mornings.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

godjira1

Re: Assessing Assistance

Post by godjira1 »

I'm gonna go with: pick 2-3 assistance exercises and try them out and see if they work. Experimentation is a great teacher.

I am in the same boat as you in that i'm getting injured more often than I like though thru bjj rather than other forms of training. I have been adding neck work, dead hangs, pistol squats as assistance work, and hope they will bear fruit.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I like to warm up with some exercises to focus on weak areas. I have knee issues from a previous surgery. At the moment I use single leg exercises like lunges, 1 legged deadlifts and side to side squats to cover some weaknesses I was having from doing nothing but back squats for such a long period. It’s rare I even deadlift.

I don’t do a lot of HIC work so wasn’t getting much variation in my training and caused myself some minor imbalance issues. Training bjj adds to a few extra aches and further imbalance issues.

I just spend 5-10 mins doing a quick warmup circuit.Followed by a set or two of my main cluster exercises before using my working weights. I find if I try and add any assistance exercises post my main cluster, I rarely stick with it. I like to keep my strength training brief.

It might be another option if you keep things light.

jzt

Post by jzt »

For strength I use: Trap DL, OHP, Weighted Ring Ups.

For assistance I use: Reverse Hypers, KB/Goblet Squats, AB Roller, Ring Ups, Ring Dips, KB Swings and GHR.

For prehab I use: Band Pull Aparts, Face Pulls and a lot of mobility work (stretches, foam rolling, static vs dynamic mobility).

That should cover pretty much everything.

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

CSBC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:09 am
Traditionally I've stuck with the basic barbell movements coupled with push-ups, pull-ups, and abs whenever I felt like it, but I'm looking to add leg raises, the ab wheel, and back extensions to my daily training.

Would these 3 movements cover all bases, so to speak? I am having a bit of analysis paralysis here, and having been researching reverse hyper machines, GHDs, and even considered adding Good Mornings.
Try different movements and see which ones you are weak in and do them until you are no longer weak in them. You won't know until you try. Example, many people are weak in skullcrushers but not weak in overhead triceps extension. :D

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

CSBC wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:09 am After a lower back "tweak" I have realized that I likely cannot carry on with my "minimalist" approach to training and need to add in some dedicated movements that will strengthen my torso and low back.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Keep it simple to start. Just do Plank & Shank for a block, then re-evaluate.

I love the ab wheel but not for somebody with a weak back or abs. Good Mornings are a risky place to start. GHDs are good for what they do, but they aren't going to hit your problems, you'll be limited by hamstrings, do contortions that will irritate your low back. Back extensions are good, hanging leg raises can be good, save those two for later. Reverse hyper machines can be good but save them for even later down the line.