BB week 6/8 HIC session: "as hard as you can" vs HR range

MxS/SE/HIC/E
B71

BB week 6/8 HIC session: "as hard as you can" vs HR range

Post by B71 »

I've been giving TB another go and I am now in week 6 of BB. Today I ran treadmill power intervals for my first HIC session and my RPE doesn't match the HR range set out in the book. How do I reconcile this to get the planned training effect for BB (i.e., training "cardiac contractile strength")?

The book says to push "as hard as you can", which should be about 80-90% of HR max. Based on the standard "220-age=HR max" calculation, my estimated max is 172 BPM (I'm 48 y.o.) and my 80-90% range is ~137 to 155 BPM. When I run "as hard as I can", my HR is much higher than that.

Specifically, today I ran 5 treadmill power intervals. I ran 3 x 2-min intervals. When I saw my super-high HR on the 3rd interval, I shortened the last two intervals to just 1 minute. My HR after each interval was 195, 177, 216(!) for the first three 2-min intervals, then 166 and 173 for the last two 1-minute intervals. I took the full 5-minute walking rest after each power interval. My HR was super-high (I guess) and I felt winded but not completely wrecked after each interval.

How do I train properly to get the intended cardiac benefit of the BB HIC sessions? Should I not worry about the HR number and run "as hard as I can"? Or should I stay within the HR range by adjusting the interval speed and/or duration?

Georgeh

Re: BB week 6/8 HIC session: "as hard as you can" vs HR range

Post by Georgeh »

I personally don't pay attention to my HR in HIC sessions. Push it best effort and forget the HR, a high HR is better than a low in these sessions (my opinion)
8 Years British Army (Infantry)