Marathon Prep using TB

MxS/SE/HIC/E
knemec

Marathon Prep using TB

Post by knemec »

I am going to run a marathon in December of this year. I wanted some input on my plan in regards to training using TB. I'm going to finish up Basebuilding here in a couple weeks, next my plan is to move directly into Operator/Black continuation for a 12 week block and get as strong as possible in that time frame. From there I will move into a marathon specific training program and Fighter template. There are some gap weeks in the year that I haven't decide what I'm going to do yet. Thanks for taking the time!

ajpaul24

Re: Marathon Prep using TB

Post by ajpaul24 »

Hey knemec,

I’m doing roughly the same. My strength right now is more focused on weighted dips, weighted Pullups and weighted one legged squats. I have plenty of DBs and a weight vest to progress strength as I have a lot of travel early this year - makes it easier for me logistically.

For the gap weeks and perhaps some things to consider while training would be to focus on strengthening your hips and posterior chain via one legged deadlifts, clam shells, db swings etc. I had some serious hip weakness a few years back and through physical therapy really focused on those two areas and it improved my runs and recovery from longer distances.

knemec

Post by knemec »

Awesome! Thank you for the reply, that seems like a good route to take for the gap weeks. Are you going to to run Operator/Black protocol for a block to build strength and some armor before heading into specific marathon training? Thanks again.

ajpaul24

Post by ajpaul24 »

You got it! Right now I am doing Operator with 1 HIC (burpees and db swings) and 2-3 longish (45-90 minutes) runs per week. Trying to work on some imbalances in the lower legs and just keep the skill of running in my weekly routine. Averaging between 15-20 miles per week with this approach.

I'm going to switch to a 6 week fighter green template in April with a focus on FS, WPU, BP and KB swings. I'm going to use this period to increase long run frequency (3 easy runs and at least 1 tempo or interval run per week) to 4-5x's per week in order to build a base for the marathon training season which I plan on starting in mid to late May. I'll be using a 4 day marathon specific training program (Nike Marathon Plan which includes optional add-on recovery runs if feeling good) with Fighter.

knemec

Post by knemec »

Sounds good man, if you can find it later on, post your results to this thread and let me know how it's going. I'll do the same! Thanks for the response!

Kaito

Post by Kaito »

Good luck with the training!
I'd suggest having 1 long run every week, even if you try to be as strong as possible in your Op/Black continuation.
Dont know your levels but if you gradually build that run the switch to the marathon specific training might be way easier.

knemec

Post by knemec »

Thanks Kaito! Yeah I was thinking about doing that exact thing, that way I'm still getting max strength and some endurance work without switching to full Green protocol.