General Purpose Fitness / Injury Prevention / Longevity

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

Re: General Purpose Fitness / Injury Prevention / Longevity

Post by TBPenguin »

mjninc wrote:Would Ageless Athlete be a good place to start as well? I don't own that one yet, didn't know if that was geared a little more toward my situation.

Thanks!
AA is not geared "more" towards your situation. Your situation is that of a person who has a minimal training background. Your age is a secondary consideration at this point. Your primary considerations are centered on establishing regular training, and you don't need to spend any more time reading. The differences in outcomes between "reasonable" plans for a person who is not well trained are minimal. You need to get into the gym (for the lifting - you can do conditioning work outside if you prefer) and quite possibly get some coaching so that you make progress that isn't interrupted by injury or relearning or something else. Your original plan was fine, but a plan needs to be executed to do you any good.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

TBPenguin wrote:
mjninc wrote:Would Ageless Athlete be a good place to start as well? I don't own that one yet, didn't know if that was geared a little more toward my situation.

Thanks!
AA is not geared "more" towards your situation. Your situation is that of a person who has a minimal training background. Your age is a secondary consideration at this point. Your primary considerations are centered on establishing regular training, and you don't need to spend any more time reading. The differences in outcomes between "reasonable" plans for a person who is not well trained are minimal. You need to get into the gym (for the lifting - you can do conditioning work outside if you prefer) and quite possibly get some coaching so that you make progress that isn't interrupted by injury or relearning or something else. Your original plan was fine, but a plan needs to be executed to do you any good.
TBPenguin's advice on just getting the ball rolling is bang on.

Your original plan of
BB
OP/Black (subbing SQ with BSS)
KB (swing/clean/snatch i guess) for deadlift
will work for your goals.

I have experimented with similar templates - my 2c feedback:
- heavy swings for deadlifts make you feel pretty good, but in my case it didn't really move the needle on my deadlift max so it is something to take note of if it matters. It is easier to recover from than deadlifts so that's a plus.
- Bulgarian Squats are painful things and definitely work the quads like nothing else. However there is some stability element to it and it is hard to work them as an absolute strength lift, and you probably shouldn't. IMHO they are best as a finisher/accessory type event. I personally don't squat heavy at all as my acl-less right knee makes a series of weird crackling sounds under heavy loaded squats and it just gives me the creeps. I do however, do plenty of deep air squats, goblet squats, KB front squats, and non-maximal BB front and back squats.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

mjninc

Post by mjninc »

Absolutely great advice. Thank you!

mjninc

Post by mjninc »

TBPenguin's advice on just getting the ball rolling is bang on.

Your original plan of
BB
OP/Black (subbing SQ with BSS)
KB (swing/clean/snatch i guess) for deadlift
will work for your goals.

I have experimented with similar templates - my 2c feedback:
- heavy swings for deadlifts make you feel pretty good, but in my case it didn't really move the needle on my deadlift max so it is something to take note of if it matters. It is easier to recover from than deadlifts so that's a plus.
- Bulgarian Squats are painful things and definitely work the quads like nothing else. However there is some stability element to it and it is hard to work them as an absolute strength lift, and you probably shouldn't. IMHO they are best as a finisher/accessory type event. I personally don't squat heavy at all as my acl-less right knee makes a series of weird crackling sounds under heavy loaded squats and it just gives me the creeps. I do however, do plenty of deep air squats, goblet squats, KB front squats, and non-maximal BB front and back squats.
Great advice as well. I also have an acl issue, creeks and cracks, where BB squats hurt it, but the Bulgarians don't seem too. Thanks for the squatting ideas.

What does your squat program look like given your knee issue? Have you been progressing well using your method?

Thanks!

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

For squats I tend to go for volume, eg:
4x10 Bulgarian Sqt KB (at 28kg now)
3x10 KB FS (24+28kg)
5x5 BB FS or BS (BWT, around 70-75kg).
Pistol squats (GTG style)
Shrimp squats (GTG style)

I use bench press/kb press and deadlift variations as my max strength lifts. Pullups/KB Rows are accessories and I go for volume for those too.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

mjninc

Post by mjninc »

Thank you!