General Purpose Fitness / Injury Prevention / Longevity

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mjninc

General Purpose Fitness / Injury Prevention / Longevity

Post by mjninc »

What would you recommend my path for the next year(s) or so given my goal and situation. I have both books. Probably need help clarifying my goal.

Current status: 42, 5'11", 195lbs, 26% bf. Weak, never lifted seriously. I've done random bodyweight stuff off and on, fairly consistent with stretching. Asthma also dictates how much I can do in a session.

Goal: I want to add a lot of general purpose strength and fitness to protect my body as I age from injury and be able to perform random tasks with much greater ease. Body is starting to get injured more easily than when I was younger.

I was thinking running base build, Op/Black, sub BB squat for Bulgarian (feels better on my knees) and subbing KB work for Deadlift. I have a current desire as well to increase upper back/ neck strength to help prevent reoccurring neck injury.

Is op/black what you would do for general purpose /injury prevention / longevity fitness?

TBPenguin

Re: General Purpose Fitness / Injury Prevention / Longevity

Post by TBPenguin »

Hey mj, see this: http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... 122#p18122

I think, given your starting point, that the submax barbell stuff would do more for you than the DB and KB stuff. At least for a year or two. You may benefit from some coaching but you absolutely need that for the KB work also.

mjninc

Post by mjninc »

Thanks! I didn't find that link in my initial search.

What does 'submax barbell work' mean in this context, just doing a % of 1rm?

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

Since you've never lifted seriously, have a look at this thread: Older man looking for advice on lifting. For what it's worth, I'd advise to start the weights low, and build as you gain confidence and practice with your form.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

mjninc wrote:Thanks! I didn't find that link in my initial search.

It means not pushing any set to anywhere close to your limits. The TB programs use submax training. Don't test for your max. Just pick some light weights for the first block. It is OK to start too light, don't worry about that.

mjninc

Post by mjninc »

TBPenguin wrote:
mjninc wrote:Thanks! I didn't find that link in my initial search.

It means not pushing any set to anywhere close to your limits. The TB programs use submax training. Don't test for your max. Just pick some light weights for the first block. It is OK to start too light, don't worry about that.
Good advice, thank you!

mjninc

Post by mjninc »

Thanks!
That article references some acronyms I don't know.

What is LP, GSLP, and SS?
Thanks!

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

mjninc wrote:What is LP, GSLP, and SS?
Good questions!

LP = Linear Progression. Basically, you add a bit of weight (generally between 2.5 and 5 pounds) to the barbell every workout. So, on Monday you might do 3 sets of 5 squats with 125 total pounds. When you lift on Wednesday, you'll do you 3x5 squats with 130 pounds. It's a way of quickly gaining strength and skill with the lifts, generally for newer lifters. LP programs tend to plateau after 3 months or so, at which point a switch to a different program (like the waved periodization in TB1) is called for.

SS = Simple and Sinister, the flagship kettlebell program from Pavel Tsatsouline at Strongfirst. Kettlebell swings and Turkish Get Ups are the only moves on the program. It's designed as a minimalist, General Physical Preparedness (GPP) program.

GSLP = Grey Skull Linear Progression, a LP program that emphasizes Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, and Overhead Press movements. It also is designed to be easy to add to, depending on the user's strength and conditioning needs. Available on Amazon.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

mjninc

Post by mjninc »

Would Ageless Athlete be a good place to start as well? I don't own that one yet, didn't know if that was geared a little more toward my situation.

Thanks!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

mjninc wrote:Would Ageless Athlete be a good place to start as well? I don't own that one yet, didn't know if that was geared a little more toward my situation.

Thanks!
Ageless athlete is great for using the basic system ofTactical Barbell and tweaking it for longevity. Things like training maxes, kettlebell swings in place of deadlifts and base building strategies are covered there. It’s a tweak on the TB system from the books you own. If you have the cash it’s a great buy and all the books go together well.