base building - SE? and E duration?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

base building - SE? and E duration?

Post by TBPenguin »

Had my schedule open up, and changed to a new gym. For the past couple months I have not been doing TB. One thing I have been doing is a more extensive warmup. I was thinking I would get back into TB, starting with base building from Mass Protocol. But in looking at it, the warmups I have been doing are about the same as the hardest SE day of the week for that base building. This got me to thinking about the amount of benefit I would get from the SE part of that block. Also the E for that block is pretty easy for me (physically). Looked at the base building in Ageless Athletes, same story on both.

Now I know KB has written that for the "recreational" athlete SE is optional, and that for us over-50 types, we should think hard about doing the minimums for E. But there is a part of me that thinks a single standard base building block - full scale, not minimum - as in TB II would not be harmful and would offer some benefit. Am I wrong or misguided on this? Or with my level of SE would it make more sense to do a base building block using Operator instead of SE (KB has written that he has done this)? If so, thoughts on E durations?

Barkadion

Re: base building - SE? and E duration?

Post by Barkadion »

For the last couple of my BBs I wanted to do minimal 30 min runs, but ended up going up to 60 min at the end of it. I always feel LSS high and don’t want to cut it short.

Personally, I find that keeping min SE cluster with 3 exercises and mixing LSS runs with some indoor options (bike/rower) is the sweet spot. Also, I start with 30 min and add 1-2 min for every session. I stop at 45 min as average time for the runs but go up to 50-60 min once/week.

Works for me.. Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Thanks Bark. Appreciate you sharing your experiences. With the SE for me is is more about the sets x reps. With what I have been doing, week 2 of standard base building is actually easier. So purely from an SE standpoint, I'm tempted to either go straight to week 3 and do a 3 week base build, or to instead do Green - Progressive SE which is only 3 weeks. That temptation may not be smart, admittedly. Another part of me thinks that maybe pursuing higher levels of SE really isn't worth it for me, and that I should just focus on the E and do Op or Fighter on the other days.

Unlike you I do not get a high from LSS but I'm willing to do it just for the health benefits. :roll:

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Thanks Bark. Appreciate you sharing your experiences. With the SE for me is is more about the sets x reps. With what I have been doing, week 2 of standard base building is actually easier. So purely from an SE standpoint, I'm tempted to either go straight to week 3 and do a 3 week base build, or to instead do Green - Progressive SE which is only 3 weeks. That temptation may not be smart, admittedly. Another part of me thinks that maybe pursuing higher levels of SE really isn't worth it for me, and that I should just focus on the E and do Op or Fighter on the other days.

Unlike you I do not get a high from LSS but I'm willing to do it just for the health benefits. :roll:
I see... I admit being oxygen junkie.. :lol: Cheers!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky