MAS training

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Adski

MAS training

Post by Adski »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here use MAS (Maximal aerobic speed) intervals for their training?

If so, how have you found it applicable for your needs?

KayBee

Re: MAS training

Post by KayBee »

I am familiar with it and have seen it used with team athletes. Will it bring results, yes? In saying that i would lean to other methods based on results people have got using other methods.

One good thing I do like is it makes you get a minutes/m value which is useful for programming purposes

Adski

Re: MAS training

Post by Adski »

I was more keen to see the why behind how some people use it. For example it’s becoming popular in certain areas around where I work and for certain roles it can be applicable, for example I used it on a team for a competition where these members were already all round very fit, and required running and load carriage among other things, so I implemented MAS to make slight improvements without adding to the load on the legs.

Whereas for some groups of people, say with minimal training experience, I wouldn’t reccomend it as my own belief is that there are better methods out there for that population, building a base followed by a combination aerobic and anaerobic work, interval training and such.

The reason behind that being, that if the MAS is used as a primary/main source of run training, the individual or group won’t be used to working under fatigue and the body would be more susceptible to issues from not spending enough time in those other conditions developing.

So I was curious to see, if anyone here is using it, and how and why they have found it applicable for their needs.