TB + Run Less Run Faster

MxS/SE/HIC/E
nbr02

TB + Run Less Run Faster

Post by nbr02 »

Just wondering if anybody has any experience using TB with the Runner's World Run Less Run Faster program?

To give some background, I have used their 5K Training program before with really good results and was trying to incorporate it into my TB programming if possible. The basic idea of the program is 3 runs/week with one speed workout, one tempo workout, and a long run (which I know resembles Black Professional from TBII). The speed workouts would look a lot like 600m Resets with varying distances and the tempo workouts would resemble Fast 5, also with varying distances. The main differences that I can see are that the speed workouts have you jog in between sets, whereas 600m resets calls for complete rest, and the workouts might run longer with more sets. The long run is also at a pace that is a little higher intensity, although I would probably keep this lower intensity so as not to interfere with recovery.

My specific questions are:

1. Does anybody see a problem using a program like this with Operator? (BP, BS, WPU, +DLs)
2. Does the jogging between speed work sets change the workout from HIC to E?
3. Would recovery be an issue if I were still to follow the TB Black "easy week" principle and make every third week an easy week?

Thanks in advance for the help!

godjira1

Re: TB + Run Less Run Faster

Post by godjira1 »

Personally I have not had good results mixing max str work with e work - ie chasing 2 rabbits in different directions.

Maybe it’s just me but i prefer to use the following continuation ideas:
1) max str + pwr
2) str endurance + endurance.

The mix of fast/slow/slow in endurance workouts is for me the best way, both from a results pov and keeping motivation up.

So pertaining to your query I might want to do the run prog with a SE block rather than Operator. However, there is probably nothing wrong with trying a block and see if a) the results are there and b) if your body can recover.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

nbr02

Post by nbr02 »

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I understand what you are saying and that was definitely one of my concerns (mixing max strength, E, and HIC). Since my goals are to be able to run a 5k around 20 min (I am currently at 23 minutes after base building) and still gain strength, I was trying to figure the best way to accomplish those goals and was unsure if I would be able to get there with just Operator + Black unless I had some kind of conditioning progression. I was trying to avoid the boredom of repeating 600m resets and fast 5 week after week. I also like Operator as opposed to fighter because I find that 3 days a week gives me better body composition and strength gains than lifting only twice. I am less concerned with strength endurance. Perhaps another option would be to complete the speed and tempo workouts as prescribed and just rest completely instead of jogging in between sets? Especially since I already have the E and aerobic base from base building. This would more likely keep me within the Black Professional protocols as written in the book.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

What is your running back ground?

You mention a 23min 5km after your recent base build?
My advice changes depending on your running base.

I regularly do OP I/A mixed with LSS work. My run times aren't great but I am working on going long, maintaining strength and managing some injuries. It's meets my goals, but I will definitely say that I would get better results by focusing on a particular area. I get my HIC from BJJ usually when Covid isn't a thing.

nbr02

Post by nbr02 »

I have been a recreational runner for the last year and half. I did very little strength training during that time. Prior to that I was lifting more with occasional running but never stuck to a program long enough to get the results I wanted. My 5k time actually decreased by a minute or so during base because I stuck to the 120-150 bpm during all E sessions. I also gained about 5 lbs (intentionally) because I made a point to eat 1g protein/lb of body weight.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Then yeah I think give it a go and see how you feel. Just make sure you decide whether the strength or run time improvement is your focus.

The easy week principal is a great idea. You can always run it with Operator for a cycle or two and drop to fighter if required.

As I said I do a lot of LSS usually and mix it with OP I/A and BJJ. I don't technically follow the traditional black/green structure.

If your above plan doesn't work, I think you would have a lot of success with the 600m reset, fast 5 and LSS plan you mentioned. I think that is a very underrated way to improve your mid distance run times.