Grey Man - Training Max question and GM purpose question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mikhou

Grey Man - Training Max question and GM purpose question

Post by mikhou »

I'm thinking of giving Grey Man a run, and I've got 2 questions.

1. Have any of you run the General Mass templates with a training max? I've enjoyed starting with TMs on TB Strength templates and forcing progression every few weeks ala 5/3/1. When I stall out, I then test again and restart. Any concerns with doing with with the General Mass templates?

2. Also, I'm not looking to gain a lot of mass and therefore eat at a caloric surplus. I just want to play with some higher rep ranges. Any concerns there?

I've been a TB devotee for probably 5 years at this point, but if I go forward this'll be my first run at a General Mass template. Thanks.

Maxrip13

Re: Grey Man - Training Max question and GM purpose question

Post by Maxrip13 »

I have only run Fighter HT to completion so I can only comment on that.
I would definitely use a training max as the higher reps really knocked me around. Even on such a limited template.
It definitely took me a while to adjust to the higher volume, but I was running my Operator cycles on very minimalist clusters and never going over 3 sets. e.gGoing from 3x5 to 5x8+ was a big jump that impacted on my recovery.

In terms of calories, more will always help. I don't see any major issues provided you take in enough to support training and add a touch more. I usually do well if I eat like an adult but add some calories via protein smoothies.

I am currently in the same boat as you are and moving outside that strength rep range. I really like the mass programs but it doesn't fit my current goals. I am using OP I/A and using reps as a method of force progression. I originally did this to meet a bench press standard for work and transition from low bar back squat to high bar back squats for longevity. I use the original rep schemes from Operator I/A and add reps instead of weight. E.g 5/5/3 becomes 8/6/4 or 10/8/6 before adding weight. Then restart with 5/5/3 and progress up again. This ticks the hypertrophy box without a full swicth from my strength training. I really end up owning the weight before progressing.

That might be another option if a complete focus on mass isn't the goal at the moment.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Thanks for the feedback. And really good ideas!

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Hey mikhou, KB wrote in one of these threads that using a training max was fine. Also you might look at this thread http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=1172 as Max gave a lot of insights there (thanks again Max). The only thing I can really contribute on your Q#2 is pay attention to the advice in the book about conditioning. As I recall you are pretty good at conditioning, but I recall a young guy a few years back reporting on using the old Mass template and saying 2 easy < 30 min runs were "enough."

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

TBPenguin wrote:Hey mikhou, KB wrote in one of these threads that using a training max was fine. Also you might look at this thread http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=1172 as Max gave a lot of insights there (thanks again Max). The only thing I can really contribute on your Q#2 is pay attention to the advice in the book about conditioning. As I recall you are pretty good at conditioning, but I recall a young guy a few years back reporting on using the old Mass template and saying 2 easy < 30 min runs were "enough."
It was good to read back over that thread and work out where my current approach came from.
I couldn't imagine not using a training max. The higher volume at the time was very difficult to recover from with 2x BJJ sessions a week.
I think I could deal with it better now as I have been building up volume and BJJ is a no go for me currently the current lockdown in my country.

I also got the perfect kid and my sleep improved massively. In bed much earlier with the little fella in the picture and he sleeps through 99% of the time.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Maxrip13 wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:Hey mikhou, KB wrote in one of these threads that using a training max was fine. Also you might look at this thread http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=1172 as Max gave a lot of insights there (thanks again Max). The only thing I can really contribute on your Q#2 is pay attention to the advice in the book about conditioning. As I recall you are pretty good at conditioning, but I recall a young guy a few years back reporting on using the old Mass template and saying 2 easy < 30 min runs were "enough."
It was good to read back over that thread and work out where my current approach came from.
I couldn't imagine not using a training max. The higher volume at the time was very difficult to recover from with 2x BJJ sessions a week.
I think I could deal with it better now as I have been building up volume and BJJ is a no go for me currently the current lockdown in my country.

I also got the perfect kid and my sleep improved massively. In bed much earlier with the little fella in the picture and he sleeps through 99% of the time.
Ha! I posted this in my training log yesterday:
Not that the weights are heavy, but I'm glad that I started this GM cycle at a 90% TM so that I can get used to the volume.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

mikhou wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

Ha! I posted this in my training log yesterday:
Not that the weights are heavy, but I'm glad that I started this GM cycle at a 90% TM so that I can get used to the volume.
It definitely catches you after spending so long in the lower rep range. I did Fighter HT into another mass program with bodyweight accessories and it was an absolute killer. It definitely feels good to switch it up and I think the Mass book is one of my favourite.

I might do a mass revisit in the future with BJJ on hold for the foreseeable future and it being winter here in Australia.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Maxrip13 wrote:It definitely feels good to switch it up and I think the Mass book is one of my favourite.
I agree that I'm enjoying doing something other than sets of 5 and 3. And I am going to (humbly) say that my wife out of the blue today said, "You know that photo that I took of you the other day. You look like you're putting on muscle." That made me happy.