OP/IA 3 days between sessions?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Adski

OP/IA 3 days between sessions?

Post by Adski »

So, I’m a stickler for following things to the letter, but to make things fit, I’m wondering if anyone has run OP/IA with 3 days between MS sessions by any chance.

However if this will be seen as Heresy, I can opt for another plan that sees fighter come back into play.

Anyway just keen to hear thoughts, it’s mainly to fit some of my other training in a bit better.

Cheers guys.

Barkadion

Re: OP/IA 3 days between sessions?

Post by Barkadion »

I have done that not as a rule but to fit it into my life schedule.. I didn’t see any changes in performance. I didn’t care for mental feeling of guilt either.. I am looking into more life challenges soon with 3rd baby coming so my training schedule is going to be crazy. I am planning on keeping basic OP I/A structure but it is not going to be perfect.. and I think it should be OK. Just my 2c..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Adski

Post by Adski »

Barkadion wrote:I have done that not as a rule but to fit it into my life schedule.. I didn’t see any changes in performance. I didn’t care for mental feeling of guilt either.. I am looking into more life challenges soon with 3rd baby coming so my training schedule is going to be crazy. I am planning on keeping basic OP I/A structure but it is not going to be perfect.. and I think it should be OK. Just my 2c..
Cheers Bark, I have a little one due in the next while as well, so
I’m trying to plan ahead, with my 1st I was a lot younger and didn’t change anything training wise, just fought through, being a bit older with more responsibility, might not be the wisest decision.

I’ve written up a few different options, this was just one I was just toying with.

Man I’m very excited for you by the way! That’s awesome to have 3 in the tribe mate.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Adski wrote:
Barkadion wrote:I have done that not as a rule but to fit it into my life schedule.. I didn’t see any changes in performance. I didn’t care for mental feeling of guilt either.. I am looking into more life challenges soon with 3rd baby coming so my training schedule is going to be crazy. I am planning on keeping basic OP I/A structure but it is not going to be perfect.. and I think it should be OK. Just my 2c..
I’m trying to plan ahead, with my 1st I was a lot younger and didn’t change anything training wise, just fought through, being a bit older with more responsibility, might not be the wisest decision.

I’ve written up a few different options, this was just one I was just toying with.

Man I’m very excited for you by the way! That’s awesome to have 3 in the tribe mate.
Congrats to you mate!! It is challenging to keep training, but it is also fun.. I keep remaining myself that it makes sense as long as I keep going.. Anyway, I think I will jump into summer BB as soon as baby is here.. Congrats again!!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I can't imagine having more than one at the moment even though my son is pretty damn good sleep wise.We get the occasional night time visit but he settles pretty quickly, although he doesn't always make it back into his own bed.

I run a fluid Op I/A and have 3 or more days between sessions at various points. It works out well for me when life and work get in the way. The way I look at Op I/A is a block of 9 strength sessions I need to tick off to progress. Once I finish those 9 Strength Sessions I force progress or adjust things in some way. Once I start that block I am not allowed to change until it is finished unless I get injured. It basically ends up the same as fighter, but occasionally you do 3 Strength Sessions in a week instead of 2.

It works out great because I run a 3 week on/1 week off schedule at the moment and line up a week of night shift over my recovery week.It's not hard to get 9 Strength Sessions in over a 21 day period.

The conditioning is the hardest part to include, but I generally just alternate OP I/A days with LSS running and occasionally combine the 2 on a day together. I then take the following day off and only walk or stretch. I use this as a good way to catch up training days so I can stay within the 21 days I have before night shift. It's a good way to get some extra training in when you have had a few recovery days and are feeling good to go.

Good Luck with it all mate.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Adski wrote:So, I’m a stickler for following things to the letter, but to make things fit, I’m wondering if anyone has run OP/IA with 3 days between MS sessions by any chance.

However if this will be seen as Heresy, I can opt for another plan that sees fighter come back into play.

Anyway just keen to hear thoughts, it’s mainly to fit some of my other training in a bit better.

Cheers guys.
I haven't done it. But as far as following it to the letter, if you look at pp 56 - 57, it sure reads to me like KB is saying you can take 72 hours between strength sessions. So unless you mean 3 days between as 96 hours between sessions, you'd still be by the letter.

Adski

Post by Adski »

TBPenguin wrote:
Adski wrote:So, I’m a stickler for following things to the letter, but to make things fit, I’m wondering if anyone has run OP/IA with 3 days between MS sessions by any chance.

Cheers guys.
I haven't done it. But as far as following it to the letter, if you look at pp 56 - 57, it sure reads to me like KB is saying you can take 72 hours between strength sessions. So unless you mean 3 days between as 96 hours between sessions, you'd still be by the letter.
I just re read it and seemed to state (3rd Ed) two days through the chapter. All good though mapped things out and I might not need to stretch it out to 3 days but it will be mice to have the option.

I just didn’t want to be in a position (as strange as this may sound) where I would be saying I’m following a certain thing if I’m not actually doing it as written. I don’t know how to explain it adequately, besides to say it could be a self moral thing.

Thank you for the reply.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Maxrip13 wrote:I can't imagine having more than one at the moment even though my son is pretty damn good sleep wise.We get the occasional night time visit but he settles pretty quickly, although he doesn't always make it back into his own bed.

I run a fluid Op I/A and have 3 or more days between sessions at various points. It works out well for me when life and work get in the way. The way I look at Op I/A is a block of 9 strength sessions I need to tick off to progress. Once I finish those 9 Strength Sessions I force progress or adjust things in some way. Once I start that block I am not allowed to change until it is finished unless I get injured. It basically ends up the same as fighter, but occasionally you do 3 Strength Sessions in a week instead of 2.

It works out great because I run a 3 week on/1 week off schedule at the moment and line up a week of night shift over my recovery week.It's not hard to get 9 Strength Sessions in over a 21 day period.

The conditioning is the hardest part to include, but I generally just alternate OP I/A days with LSS running and occasionally combine the 2 on a day together. I then take the following day off and only walk or stretch. I use this as a good way to catch up training days so I can stay within the 21 days I have before night shift. It's a good way to get some extra training in when you have had a few recovery days and are feeling good to go.

Good Luck with it all mate.
I like the sound of your setup, I re mapped mine out today and it looks like I can get it done in 24 days, which is fine. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Barkadion wrote:
Adski wrote:

Congrats to you mate!! It is challenging to keep training, but it is also fun.. I keep remaining myself that it makes sense as long as I keep going.. Anyway, I think I will jump into summer BB as soon as baby is here.. Congrats again!!
Oh I’ll always keep training regardless of sleep etc. I really enjoyed the last bb block, I’m definitely going to run it twice a year now, always come away feeling refreshed and ready for continuation. Thank you and all the best for your new addition!

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Adski wrote:
I just re read it and seemed to state (3rd Ed) two days through the chapter. All good though mapped things out and I might not need to stretch it out to 3 days but it will be mice to have the option.

I just didn’t want to be in a position (as strange as this may sound) where I would be saying I’m following a certain thing if I’m not actually doing it as written. I don’t know how to explain it adequately, besides to say it could be a self moral thing.

If somebody has tested something out, like KB apparently has done, it makes sense to go with the known, tested, proven. Plus I agree with you on if you say you are following a certain thing, it should be as written. I am looking at the 3rd Ed. also, based on those pages you should be of peaceful mind.