Addressing weakness

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Billy-Hunt

Addressing weakness

Post by Billy-Hunt »

Good morning I have a question is anyone has time regarding the best means to address weaker lifts

I have been running Fighter + Black for almost 6 training blocks now and intend to continue this cycle into next year

I’ve progressed with all my lifts and maintained a good level of conditioning

I train Fighter using a SQ/BP/WPU and SQ/BP/DL set up, 5 sets except DL which is 3 sets

I have compared my lifts with the acknowledged strength standards for no other reason than to address where my weaknesses are and to try and bring all the lifts to a comparable level

My understanding is that I’ll perform better if my lifts are of a comparable standard

It’s clear that at 87 kg my one rep maxes need improvement in two areas as my SQ/DL are much lower in comparison to my upper body lifts

SQ 101 kg
BP 95 kg
WPU 30 kg
DL 114 kg

Using the Fighter program does anyone have any opinions on what are the best adaptions ?

Should I do 7 sets of SQ instead of 5 and drop my BP/WPU to 4 sets ?

Or are there any other methods anyone’s used to address lagging lifts

Re: Addressing weakness

Post by Likes »

If you want to focus on strength more I'd just switch to Operator. Adding more sets wont help (much) imo.

I wouldn't say your lifts are weaker, just keep training

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

Billy-Hunt wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:54 am It’s clear that at 87 kg my one rep maxes need improvement in two areas as my SQ/DL are much lower in comparison to my upper body lifts

Or are there any other methods anyone’s used to address lagging lifts
Which part of the movements are you weak in, ie sticking point? Example, for squat bottom position, you could do paused or paused box squat to make the bottom harder and to improve it. You can do it on an SE day (Fighter Bangkok) to bring up weak movements or do a block of this movement.

Try some assistance movements/isolations and see which exercises are weak. Example, a lot of people are weak in the triceps, do skullcrushers. I think this got to do with one's athletic background/GPP. For example, those who had done sports/weights (even machines only) before can pick up barbell lifts more easily.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Billy, at your stage of strength development you don't need to do anything special. Since you are still progressing, the SQ and DL will continue for longer and the BP and MP will stagnate sooner. Just keep going. Also if you are doing fairly hard conditioning, and depending on your body type, the SQ and DL might tend to be below generic standards set for people who are lifting-first athletes. If your SQ and DL quit progressing, look at http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/destroy- ... -strategy/ but as long as you are making progress, just keep doing what you have proven works.

H.C.

Post by H.C. »

After reading TBPenguin's reply, i take back my words. :D

The spirit of the TB system is frequent submaximal practice, so if you are grinding because of sticking points, you are lifting too heavy. Submaximal should be fast/crisp. Example, 85% is roughly 5RM, so your work sets should be less than 5RM, say 3 reps. 90% is roughly 3RM, so your work sets should be say 1 rep. I like to use Smolov Jr's rep scheme:

70% x 6
75% x 5
80% x 4
85% x 3

If at 85% x 3 you have 2 reps in the tank (RPE 8), you are on track. If at 85% x 3 you have >=3 reps in the tank (RPE =<7) you have improved.

Either that or not enough rest interval. :D