Base Building and Operator on a cut

MxS/SE/HIC/E
tomschelfaut

Base Building and Operator on a cut

Post by tomschelfaut »

Hey everyone, first time poster here…
Right now I’m trying to milk out my newbie gains using the NSUNS 6-day template. Have been on it for a month now, and everything feels great and is moving up. Tried different LP programs in the past, but I always stalled at the same numbers for all the lifts. Estimated 1RM’s are now: Bench 100-105 KG, Squat 130-135 KG, Deadlift 155 – 160 KG and OHP 70-75 KG. These are estimates, as NSUNS has me lifting at all kinds of percentages…
The problem is now that I’m getting a bit too big (and fat). I’m 6’1 and now I weigh about 100kg give or take, 225lbs. My plan was to start using TB in the future, because I really like the look and the philosophy of the program, and I’m thinking about starting kickboxing when COVID is over…
As prescribed in the conditioning book, I’ll go through base building first. My main goal would be to cut a lot of the fat away, while still retaining as much muscle as possible. After BB I would go into Operator+Black for a while. To me, it seems like Operator would work well on a slow but steady cutting diet, more so than other intermediate programs I’ve seen.

So my questions are:
- How do I set up Base Building so that I get a decent amount of conditioning, while maintaining my strength levels as best as possible? Can I do 3 days of strength training during BB and how exactly would I have to set that up? Or is the Strength First option with 2 Strength days the only option?
- Can I start cutting my calories during Base Building and into Operator+black afterwards until I’m at a fat % level that I’m more comfortable at? Tracking Kcals is no issue for me and I would aim for at least 1 – 1,5g of protein, cutting calories in the carb and fat department (but not go ultra low carb!) Or would eating at maintenance work as well?
Finally, for my Operator+Black protocol I would use the following cluster: first two days: SQUAT/BENCH PRESS/POWER CLEAN & PUSH PRESS/BW Pullups (or can I do a different Row variant?), third day: SQUAT, BENCH PRESS, DEADLIFT (3 sets), BW Pullups. Is this okay?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Barkadion

Re: Base Building and Operator on a cut

Post by Barkadion »

- How do I set up Base Building so that I get a decent amount of conditioning, while maintaining my strength levels as best as possible? Can I do 3 days of strength training during BB and how exactly would I have to set that up? Or is the Strength First option with 2 Strength days the only option?

There was an old thread for strength specific BB option. Unfortunately, with latest website bug you can't see any comments that have special characters. But as far as I remember KB suggested following:
1. 3 days MS (M/W/Fr) with keeping minimalistic approach. 3 sets, 3 lifts, reasonable TM, no accessories.
2. 3 days 30 min LSS (T/Th/Sa).
3. Do it for 6-9 weeks.

I did that and it was fantastic experience.

- Can I start cutting my calories during Base Building and into Operator+black afterwards until I’m at a fat % level that I’m more comfortable at? Tracking Kcals is no issue for me and I would aim for at least 1 – 1,5g of protein, cutting calories in the carb and fat department (but not go ultra low carb!) Or would eating at maintenance work as well?

Personally, I increase calorie intake during BB.. I am not doing well on cal deficit. Performance starts going down.. Keeping maintenance works well for me. But everybody is different. But I have never lost any weight with BB. I did dropped weight with Black continuation and calorie maintenance.

- Finally, for my Operator+Black protocol I would use the following cluster: first two days: SQUAT/BENCH PRESS/POWER CLEAN & PUSH PRESS/BW Pullups (or can I do a different Row variant?), third day: SQUAT, BENCH PRESS, DEADLIFT (3 sets), BW Pullups. Is this okay?

It would be overkill for me personally, but I am 51 y.o. with 3 little kids and history if injuries. I would drop C&P for the 1,2 days (BP/SQ/PU) and I would drop PU for the 3rd day (BP/SQ/DL). OR I would do BP/SQ/PU, BP/SQ/C&P.. But that is old fart of me..

Just my 2c.. Hope that helps.. Good luck.!!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky