Burpee question...need definitive answer.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
GooseNZ

Burpee question...need definitive answer.

Post by GooseNZ »

Hi team,

Quick question, in the TB Conditioning book, burpees are often used in the HIC and GC circuits but there is no mention of which variation of the burpee should be used.

I am ASSUMING the traditional burpee w/o the pushup is what I should be using simply because the circuits will often have other pushing exercises such as pushups or dips in high volume.

It would be great to get clarification on this please...

Thanks,

GooseNZ

Adski

Re: Burpee question...need definitive answer.

Post by Adski »

Burpees with the push up are generally the standard, with a jump at the top. Without the push-up is typically a regression.

You can mix and match as needed depending on ability, goals etc.

GooseNZ

Post by GooseNZ »

I always thought a "standard" burpee didn't include the pushup and that the pushup variant was a progression (I.e. harder variation).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee_(exercise)

This is why I assumed that with all the pushups and dips etc. in the conditioning circuits that the burpees must have been the standard variety to avoid to much push and not enough pull.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Each to their own there I guess, for me I’ve never considered without a push-up to be a true burpee. That being said, it’s just an exercise at the end of the day, you can work with whatever works for you. I personally haven’t had any issues with “too much push” with the majority of sessions in TB 2 or from prior training programs (infinite intensity, never Gymless for example), again, make it work for you. I hope this helps.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Agree with Adski on this one.

I remember long discussion while back on different forum. That was Ross Enamait’s forum. He included video of him performing burpees at the end. Bottom line is: Burpee without push-up is not a burpee, my friend. And yet nowadays you can witness “anti burpee” movement and famous online coaches tell you that burpee is the definite way to injure yourself.

Here is my 2c - just embrace the suck and do it with push-ups. Period.
Lol
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

https://youtu.be/1t-ini-Ru4w?t=34

This is a burpee. All other versions are variations.

No clap at the top, no tiny little jumps. Full jump for height. It can drop off but the effort needs to be there.

The pushup is important. The version you are talking about is a squat thrust.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I always considered the burpee to have a push up, but there are many different variations nowadays. Pick one you like and just roll with it.

I personally am a fan of the 6 count burpee, displayed in this video. No fancy jump at the end so it's a bit more friendly on my high mileage knees.

https://youtu.be/3iAfQIimelo