Balancing the programme?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mj77

Balancing the programme?

Post by mj77 »

Hi, New guy here. I am looking at starting the 3 week grey man from mass protocol. Is this intended to be run over a 6 week timeframe so all sessions get done equally at the various percentages?
ie A1 and B1 get done at 55% but then A2 is at 55 and B2 is at 60% so the A and B do not get done with equal loads. This only balances if you get to workout 9 and then carry on the A/B progression from there for another 3 weeks.

Sorry if this has been asked but I cannot see an answer. I can see this is the same issue in the operator template in TB1. Does this inequality matter or do people just ignore it?

Hope this question makes sense.

Thanks

TBPenguin

Re: Balancing the programme?

Post by TBPenguin »

Welcome MJ. Don't worry about the imbalance in loading. You aren't going to run any of these protocols for just 3 weeks, your body doesn't change that fast. So when you hit the second block of it, since you are alternating, what was B in the first block becomes A in the second block.

B1w3: A4, B4, A5

B2w1: B5 (done as A1), A6 (done as B1) ...

After two blocks you will have done A and B nine times each.

mj77

Post by mj77 »

Brilliant thank you for that. So its essentially a 6 week cycle. I take it weights should therefore also go up every 6 weeks. Are folks reassessing their 1RM to do this, or just adding x amount of weight ie 5 lbs to the 1 RM and then recalculating the various percentages? Last Q. are folks generally using a training max Wendler style, or basing the percentage off their full 1RM

Thanks

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

MJ, KB has said that a TM is not required for the Mass Protocols, but that there is no problem in using one.

Notice that Grey Man says to do 4-5 sets. My suggestion is to handle progress like this. Start with 4 sets, run it through. Repeat the block using the same weight, but 5 sets. Then for the next block, add 5 to the upper body lifts and 10 to the lower body lifts, and use 4 sets again. This way you should be able to go for a long time, which is key to this. I wouldn't bother with testing, because the exact percentages aren't that important.