MASS protocol question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

MASS protocol question

Post by Barkadion »

Hi guys,

has anyone used MASS programming without targeting mass gain? I have been thinking to try it for using lower %% and higher reps programming. I don’t really need any mass gain but I have been thinking about implementing

— Custom BB
— MASS general
— MASS specificity
— OP I/A

scheme for this year.

This will be my “Coming Back to TB” plan..

Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Re: MASS protocol question

Post by Maxrip13 »

Fighter HT was my favourite template from the book. I did it when it first came out and really enjoyed it. The volume is pretty low compared to the other templates, but ticks those hypertrophy rep ranges. Plus you can get the big 3 in with similar frequency to Operator deadlift options. It's probably the best for what you are asking and you could easily add assistance and conditioning.

Another option I use is to just use OP I/A and add reps instead of weight over some. I don't want to lift heavy anymore because if I lift my true percentages I just can't recover. I have maintained a double bodyweight squat of 140-150kg for years now with this strategy.

Have you considered just adjusting the traditional TB rep ranges up a bit instead of adding weight? Do the traditional OP I/A the first 8 week cycle, maintain the weights and go with an 8,6,4,3 rep range the next 8 weeks and then progress to 10,8,6,4 for the final run through and then test. It's the strategy I regularly use now and it works pretty well overall. I am on the 8,6,4,3 rep range currently and will be doing exactly this after this 8 weeks.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Cheers mate!! I am sold on Fighter HT!!

Haven’t thought about adding reps with OP.. But I am with you on not chasing heavy weight and PRs anymore..

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

I've got an even more radical idea for you Bark. Just do fewer sets. You back off to 3 sets and that leaves you room for WPUs or maybe some rows - and at your age (hehe) you shouldn't be going very long without doing them.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Thank you TBP.., I have been thinking adding chins or inverted rows to Fighter HT…

Cheers!!

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

In the past year, I've twice run Grey Man, primarily to get a little variety in and/or because I wanted to tip the scales toward lifting and away from HICs.

In my experience, Grey Man is just a lot of work, esp if you are already a heavy lifter. Both times, when I got to the end of the block I was glad to get back to Operator

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I see.. Thank you, VC.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

VenomousCoffee wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:45 pm In the past year, I've twice run Grey Man, primarily to get a little variety in and/or because I wanted to tip the scales toward lifting and away from HICs.

In my experience, Grey Man is just a lot of work, esp if you are already a heavy lifter. Both times, when I got to the end of the block I was glad to get back to Operator
I always want to run the Mass templates but I just can't justify it within my current goals. The couple times I did I couldn't imagine doing anything but those Mass sessions and an easy walk. Just a couple sets on the end for some of those templates killed me recovery wise.