Should I run base building?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Georgeh

Should I run base building?

Post by Georgeh »

I'm aware this has been asked a lot but asking for advice on whether I PERSONALLY would benefit from running a base build.

Background

Age/sex: 27 / Male

Training Goal: UKSF

Weight: 78kg

Lift numbers: bench 90kg/Squat 105kg/ deadlift 120kg/ WPU 10.9kg

Run Times:
- 2km - 07:36
- 5km - 20:07
- 6 mile ruck (20kg) - 1:06:34
- 10 mile ruck (20kg - 1:58:22

I can comfortably run 7+ miles between 120-150bpm holding a 09:45-10:00min/mile pace

Can also comfortably ruck a hilly route 8 mile + between 120-150bpm at a 14:00-15:00 min/mile pace.

Any advice on whether base would benefit me or whether I should crack on with green protocol would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
8 Years British Army (Infantry)

Maxrip13

Re: Should I run base building?

Post by Maxrip13 »

It's up to you. If you can already hit those numbers you are probably on track for what you need.

If those numbers aren't from recent testing then my advice would be different to if it was last week. I would still consider running a base build depending on your time line and what your training has looked like to get those numbers. If your recent training has been similar to a base build, you are pretty good run wise, but made no mention of your SE numbers.

It comes down to what works for you. Being military you are probably pretty much getting your base building in through work. Your strength is ok, but nothing special. You know what you struggle with personally.

To use a personal example, I have always been strong, but always needed more work on my middle distance running. I can run long, I can run short, but I am weak between the 3-10km distance. If I was prepping for selection all my running would be around that area which would mean base building is great bang for my buck before some time trial type intervals in continuation. You seem to be the opposite to me even though we are the same weight.

Georgeh

Post by Georgeh »

Thanks for the in depth reply 👌

I've got roughly 18 weeks until the first part and then a further 9 weeks until selection if successful in part 1. So could comfortably run base followed by green.

Run numbers are recent but I think I'm going to run a base going off your feedback. My training has probably simulated green more than black but it's all been hard, fast and aggressive like 3,5 and 10 milers best effort.

Agree Strength needs some improving, a 5 month gym less period through covid did not help haha.

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Georgeh wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:03 am Thanks for the in depth reply 👌

I've got roughly 18 weeks until the first part and then a further 9 weeks until selection if successful in part 1. So could comfortably run base followed by green.

Run numbers are recent but I think I'm going to run a base going off your feedback. My training has probably simulated green more than black but it's all been hard, fast and aggressive like 3,5 and 10 milers best effort.

Agree Strength needs some improving, a 5 month gym less period through covid did not help haha.

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it.
If you have time always run base. The bigger your base the better in all cases when you have time. Use one run to push the time and distance out so you feel you are getting some more out of it if you like. I am also a fan of doing my SE and E together for even more endurance improvement, but that's just my personal opinion on it.

You will get your run fitness back pretty fast from base anyway. It probably takes me two weeks at most to readjust to running/training intensely after a base build and I always feel better after.

The main thing is to get to the course with no injuries.

You have seen the TB for selection prep thread so there are more qualified people than me. I have passed selection barrier testing and selection type events, but not completed a full selection course as a disclaimer. There are much more qualified people than me on here. Just including my 2 cents within a TB framework.

Georgeh

Post by Georgeh »

Thank you, yeah gonna run base and try to push the mileage up.

Agree with what you're saying, above all it will prime me and help stop me getting injured.

Again thanks for your input 👌